Jumping Ship To Castrol Magnatec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of hype on here about ester in a $17 jug. Probably getting more cling from GII base stock when one considers how easy it is to be called synthetic in the US.

That's the only oil that flipped on me in 3k ... out of decades of DIY oil changes

Originally Posted by 4WD

That's the only oil that flipped on me in 3k ... out of decades of DIY oil changes

I'm in the same time frame, but explain "flipped on me."
I have used this oil successfully in a short oci Subaru, but haven't ventured much further than that.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Oxidized ... coal black and thixotropic condition

Yeah, I remember you talking about that. Wonder how EDGE would do in my Camry with almost 171k

At that price I'm suspicious that it remains a semi
QSUD probably can get base stock cheaper and might be the better </= $20 jug

Originally Posted by 4WD
At that price I'm suspicious that it remains a semi
QSUD probably can get base stock cheaper and might be the better
div>

Good point. GTL is a good value.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is Magnatec the replacement for Syntec Blend,or is it an all together different oil?

Different. Blend replacement is GTX Ultraclean.

Originally Posted by cdlamb
Thanks. I see they carry it in North Battleford, & its at a sale price too. Might buy a few jugs, and try it. Have been sending oil analysis on Pennzoil Platinum, & would like to see if there is a benefit to using this oil.

I'm currently running PP in my 3.5L ecoboost after I was able to pick up a bunch for $12 per 5L jug. So far I haven't been able to find Magnatec anywhere near that price. It's cheaper than full priced PP though.

Magnatec seems to provide protection similar to many of the higher priced synthetics for about half the cost. It also seems to resist shearing down which makes it a good candidate for GTDI engines.

*I will add the WM $16.10 price is online order and then pick up at the WM closest to you ... If you buy in the store it's up to $19 .... Since Magnatec 5W30 is D1 / Gen 2 rated I am hoping the cleaning , metal protection , , timing chain protection , low NOACK , etc. is also up to snuff for modern GDI engines . Also I believe Magnatec has a shot of titanium in the oil which QSUD does not ?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is Magnatec the replacement for Syntec Blend,or is it an all together different oil?

Different. Blend replacement is GTX Ultraclean.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lots of hype on here about ester in a $17 jug. Probably getting more cling from GII base stock when one considers how easy it is to be called synthetic in the US.

Was that one-time occurence using the old stock Magnatec synblend or current full synthetic?
.... and what exactly does 'flipping' mean? Is it possible the Magnatec cleaned better than what you used prior?

For instance: Mobil-1 oils 'flip' on me. My dipstick goes blacker and nastier looking oil sooner. But maybe it's not Mobil-1's fault. Maybe it was the fault of the rival oil brand I used prior and Mobil-1 was cleaning my engine better?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

Whatever is in this blend it performs and this is the ultimate judgement.

gtx magnatec 5W30 Noack is 8.9 or 8.6 and 10W30 gtx mag full syn Noack=6.9
shocked2.gif

Hard to beat that even with fancy oils.

*A lower NOACK rating I believe represents higher quality (all things considered) ... GDI engine basically gets severe service OCI (4K miles) so if Magnatec is one of the better D1 / Gen 2 price point synthetic oils for low wear , cleaning , low burn off and low shear - then I am on board !
Originally Posted by OilUzer
gtx magnatec 5W30 Noack is 8.9 or 8.6 and 10W30 gtx mag full syn Noack=6.9
shocked2.gif

Hard to beat that even with fancy oils.

Valvoline advanced ( in 5W30 form) will eat its lunch. Much quicker revviing and better cold starts better fuel mileage, cleaner running on extended OCI.

Pay a bit more and get a LOT more. What's 7 bucks over 9K miles.

Don't be a penny-pincher to no benefit and lose out.

But If you like UOA for proof, should have one soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Valvoline advanced ( in 5W30 form) will eat its lunch. Much quicker revviing and better cold starts better fuel mileage, cleaner running on extended OCI.

Pay a bit more and get a LOT more. What's 7 bucks over 9K miles.

Don't be a penny-pincher to no benefit and lose out.

But If you like UOA for proof, should have one soon.

Nothing about this makes sense but have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back