2011 Hyundai Sonata -- 3 cylinders dropped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Doublehaul

My in-laws who are the cheapest people on the planet just purchased a Kia w/out cruise control ðŸ¤

Nah...mine hold that title!
01.gif

There was a thread about these engines about a month ago and the consensus seemed to be that the issues with these engines are rare and that, in the vast majority of cases, the engines are fine. And then you get this thread and the consensus is that they are irredeemable. Have to chuckle how it can change in one month.

I feel that any car reasonably well maintained should be able to go 200k with out major (engine,trans) issues.

I know this is not always the case...but it's poor design or execution of the design that causes it imho.

A quality vehicle should go to 300k well maintained on the driveline imho

Top quality? Sky's the limit. We have a member with over 500k on a Honda. That's top quality

Last edited:
Originally Posted by John_K

My in-laws who are the cheapest people on the planet just purchased a Kia w/out cruise control ðŸ¤

Nah...mine hold that title!
01.gif

I feel your pain brother...

Shouldn't the engine adapt to whatever fuel is fed into it? The Saab APC system for turbocharged engines did this starting in the early 1980s. I can run 87 octane in my turbocharged Saab and the only effect is if you nail the loud pedal you can feel the system "holding back" to prevent destructive detonation. It does perform best on premium gas of course, but regular 87 octane won't hurt it.

I would think a 2011 turbocharged engine would have at least the level of technology available in 1982.

The Trionic systems do not use conventional knock sensors but an ion sensing system and cant pull timing that much or that quickly to prevent detonation.

That's tough luck for your neighbor. Those things are junk...hope for his sake he doesn't buy another.

WE could talk about for hours on end about "junk" from all manufacturers. The latest to come to mind is the Ford's DCT transmission, or maybe the Ford 6.0. Not picking on Ford-those two just came to mind.

What do you drive? I'm sure I could find "junk" from that manufacturer as well.

My son took his Sonata in when he got the recall notice. The dealer deemed the motor OK. A few weeks after the (extended) warranty-the motor FAILED (at a little over 100,000 miles). He took it to the dealer. The dealer contacted Hyundai corporate and they put him in a rental for two weeks while they replaced the motor at no-charge. Can't sat the same thing about Ford and the 6.0......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Hyundai/Kia+GDI=eventual engine problems!

That's from someone who doesn't own one. You should look at the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisades. They are selling them as fast as they can make them.

MY wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL is more refined than my $50,0000.00 Silverado LTZ. Hate to say that-but I have stated that before on this forum.

Last edited:
Do we know the maintenance history on this vehicle? Many vehicles will have problems at 140k if they are poorly maintained.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Hyundai/Kia+GDI=eventual engine problems!

That's from someone who doesn't own one. You should look at the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisades. They are selling them as fast as they can make them.

MY wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL is more refined than my $50,0000.00 Silverado LTZ. Hate to say that-but I have stated that before on this forum.

Honestly every auto maker makes junk from time to time and cost has nothing to do with quality. Heck sometimes you get great cars and junk cars in the same model depending on engine trans combos and options etc.

208K miles on our 2.0T GDi Hyundai...no complaints.

The speculating and rabid brand bashing is hilarious. Carry on..

It seems a lot of people are confused about the recall issue. Losing compression on cylinders has nothing to do with the rod bearing failure.

This has nothing to do with "debris" which was the story they made up (or possibly one of the original causes of the engine failures before they continued to fail). Loss of compression could have been from an lspi event especially if the engine went out so suddenly and without any warning).

If it was lack of maintenance it would be more likely to have spun a rod bearing since that's obviously the most weak point in these engines.

That's just speculation without all the information though.

Without a rod knock they are much less likely to fix the engine since it has nothing to do with the recall.

Originally Posted by CKN
You should look at the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisades. They are selling them as fast as they can make them.

A false conclusion.
Just because a newly designed vehicle sells well, does not mean it's reliable or durable as the years go on - or even initially (e.g. Volvo XC90).
It simply indicates that the vehicle is priced/marketed well to the target market.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
The Trionic systems do not use conventional knock sensors but an ion sensing system and cant pull timing that much or that quickly to prevent detonation.

Quite a few people have used regular gas in these cars with no ill effects. Heck, I did it for a while when gas prices shot up in the U.S. for a period of time. Aside from adjusting timing (which is done on the fly for each individual cylinder), the Trionic system also controls turbo boost and fuel injection timing to avoid knock:

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/5436/tech-corner-saab-trionic-and-ionization-sensing/

For the system to work properly it is crucial to use the correct spark plugs, correctly gapped, as well as the correct OEM ignition cassette. The earlier red T5 cassettes are more expensive than the black T7 units. Therefore some people will use the T7 part in T5 cars. The car will run but knock detection is reduced by about 20%, so not worth the risk.

In any event that's getting off topic - the point is that the technology to avoid knock in turbocharged engines using low octane gas has been around for decades. I'd be very surprised if a 2011 Hyundai was not so equipped. Of course a malfunction in the system might well have left the engine exposed to destructive pre-ignition.

Last edited:
Not to Jack the thread or anything, but I pulled this out of a 2.4 GDI. It was a few years ago. Figured it would be cool to see for you all.

31D8EB00-37CC-4DF7-BFF4-2D3B87803C7C.png

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Not to Jack the thread or anything, but I pulled this out of a 2.4 GDI. It was a few years ago. Figured it would be cool to see for you all.

What was the cause of that? Was is a hydrolock condition or over rev?

I had to hammer the big end of the rod off the crankshaft. The rod bearing had spun and nearly welded itself to the crank and rod, and it let go at highway speeds. Likely over 70mph, as the car was towed from I-70 to our shop. I would say the rod bearing was to blame, it actually had a sufficient amount of oil in the pan. Engine was not in exemplary condition, but was not sludged. I would not blame oil or oil starvation, and I THINK it had a Fram Core Filter, not that it matters. Filter looked normal inside.

So rod bearing seizure at higher RPM, and the rod seemed to be collateral damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back