2011 Hyundai Sonata -- 3 cylinders dropped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA: Picture a boat with two identical Theta II mills Combustion chambers CC, engines blueprinted. One powers the port the other starboard and at 4.2V they are synchronized, One is then set at 3.7 or 4.7.

At 70mph you have the rudder adjusted\set to keep the boat straight as one at 4.2v performs slightly better than the other. You have a rotary switch that allows you to swap ECUs output only. They still individually receive the same info from their sensors on-board, but they each can send response to the other engine.

When you flip the switch nothing changes. You still are moving in a straight line and the rudder is set in the same position.

It's hard at times for me to explain what I'm thinking. The easiest way to put it is that I feel the actuator setting, at least in the early series, is basically a mechanical setting measured with voltage.

And any movement from input via the ECU will be the same regardless of setting, so long as the setting doesn't fall into the limp mode.

Your mention of redesigned runners on the intake in 2016 reminded me of the intake\air cleaner assembly. The folks that mod the Theta II 2.0T claim that the factory air system is good for something as 350+whp.

I realize you can only suck so much through the air filter element, but that small maybe half oval that runs 9" quickly is turned 90* for the final 8" to a skinny rectangle 2.5x6".
To top it off that little semi-oval opening is partial blocked by the cross support for the radiator & CAI. Air has to come under the bonnet turn a 90* up then another 90* over the cross support before it makes it to the funky plumbing. I know a bit about airflow and that design blows. Granted the turbo sucks the air in, but why make it so hard?

Speaking of the CAI and poor airflow design. Again you have one scoop 2\3 way up 10" that then seals off the bottom leaving 5" above that open. To add insult to injury that 10" angles up going across the front of the CAI leaving only 1.5" opening on the driver's side because it's following the line of the grille. I'd guess maybe 25% of the area is being used effectively. As if air is going to rush down as a person falling off a cliff.

I can see me work is cut out for me. Cut being the key word.

Probably have to continue this engaging conversation at a later time, we have a bunch of work ahead of us for the weekend. Kids show livestock animals for 4-H. Though it is nice to volley back and forth over the intricacies of these engines, I don't get to talk about them much anymore now that I'm in the diesel world. Your knowledge of these cars/engines is impressive. Much deeper than the typical enthusiast. Will happily continue with the banter when I have some more time on my hands.

Anytime as you have time. I'll check back again. Livestock is labour intensive. I have relatives that at least used to show at the state fair. Beef farm and they produce hay for market. Had a bud that lived a mile, maybe as the crow flies, away. Dairy farmer that was born with a teat in his hand until he finally grew weary of seven days a week. A farm knows no day off and you'll never catch up.

Just try to keep your head above water whilst falling no further behind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata
Oh, and apologies for being remiss in not wishing the best of luck to you and your brood in the competition.

Thank you, they do very well. Now winter is here. So work is any time my eyes are open. When someone finds out I run a small ranch their eyes light up and they always say "Oooh you have a farm! That's so awesome! What kind of farm???"

Mud. I have a mud farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back