Maxlife ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by R1jake
Why is it when I see these multi vehicle transmission fluid ATF it never recommends that it will work as ATF+4. They seem to be able to work and are recommended for lots of different types but not ATF+4. Is there something about atf+4 that makes it perhaps a higher quality fluid??

My guess is that they have not submitted the fluid for testing to be able to use the (trademarked) ATF+4 name on their label.

If you read the labels closely, you'll see references to other applications (Mercedes 722.6?) where ATF+4 would work, and I think that's their sneaky way of getting around the whole trademark usage issue.

"No, our fluid is not an ATF+4 fluid (but it will totally work wherever ATF+4 works, so...)"

Or something like that...

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
SP is still available and required to be used in specific applications. Ford stated LV could be used in place of SP in the Torqshift only. I still stock SP as well as V, LV, ULV, F, and others.

Interesting, thanks for clarification. I hoped you would chime in as I know you work at the ford parts house. Not sure why my dealer doesn't stock it. I know they have the V, LV, and ULV but I don't think they have type F either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
SP is still available and required to be used in specific applications. Ford stated LV could be used in place of SP in the Torqshift only. I still stock SP as well as V, LV, ULV, F, and others.

Interesting, thanks for clarification. I hoped you would chime in as I know you work at the ford parts house. Not sure why my dealer doesn't stock it. I know they have the V, LV, and ULV but I don't think they have type F either.

IIRC Mercon SP was also used by Motorhomes (ie. Winnebago) so some dealers might carry it as well.

The longevity of vehicles is far different in CA than RI...

Type F is the oldest, right?

I'd suspect your dealer could order, but far less older vehicles getting dealer service in the northeast, I'd suspect...

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by R1jake
Why is it when I see these multi vehicle transmission fluid ATF it never recommends that it will work as ATF+4. They seem to be able to work and are recommended for lots of different types but not ATF+4. Is there something about atf+4 that makes it perhaps a higher quality fluid??

My guess is that they have not submitted the fluid for testing to be able to use the (trademarked) ATF+4 name on their label.

If you read the labels closely, you'll see references to other applications (Mercedes 722.6?) where ATF+4 would work, and I think that's their sneaky way of getting around the whole trademark usage issue.

"No, our fluid is not an ATF+4 fluid (but it will totally work wherever ATF+4 works, so...)"

Or something like that...

No the static and dynamic coefficients of friction for the two fluids are different.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I'd suspect your dealer could order, but far less older vehicles getting dealer service in the northeast, I'd suspect...

Yes, Type F is the ancient stuff. We mostly keep it around for the customers who still want it for their power steering systems. I currently have 2 quarts in stock while I have cases of everything else.

Great great point ^^^^

Longevity far, far different in CA vs northeast and northern US..

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

A fluid producer can use "ATF+4" in their marketing (tech sheets, bottle labels, etc), they just have to acknowledge that it's trademarked or owned by someone, in this case FCA. They can also say that they (the fluid maker) "recommends" their fluid for ATF+4 applications, they just can't say it's licensed or approved by FCA unless it really is.

Yes, Type F is the ancient stuff. We mostly keep it around for the customers who still want it for their power steering systems. I currently have 2 quarts in stock while I have cases of everything else.

My 94 E150 van says type F for power steering in my manual. Will these multi fluids like maxlife be ok for my power steering or is type F a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back