Elevated chrome in a 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my first Blackstone on my 2000 F-250 with a 7.3 and everything was awesome but they mentioned my chrome was slightly elevated at 3. I did this test because I found a ruptured intake boot 15k ago and the compressor wheel was beat up some but I have seen worse.
I replaced the boot and turbo and installed a Donaldson blue 6637. I have been worried about dusting. The OCI was 4300 on T5 15w-40, I have 144k on the engine. How long should I wait to see if this starts a trend? I have no blow by to speak of and runs and starts fine. I hade to add a quart at 3,300 miles on this run. My TBN was 7.5. Wish I could figure out how to post it. Thanks

3 what? Parts per million? That's not enough to be scared of anything necessarily.

Hard to saying anything with one UOA. TBN of 7.5? Double your OCI and test again. I don't don't like assuming trends until I have at least 3 UOAs.

Please post all the info from the UOA.

There are values for iron, soot and TBN that indicate when do change the oil in a diesel. I doubt you are even close.

But I offer a hypothetical. Your intake air is clean, no coolant in the oil and reasonable OCI but chrome is still high. What would you do, disassemble the engine and replace what you think is producing the chrome containment or drive until there was something more noticeable. I suspect the latter.

Silicon was 10, Aluminum 2, Iron 15, Copper 1 and Lead 1 parts per million. Fuel was trace and water and antifreeze was 0%. I will figure out how to post it all tonight. I was very shocked by the TBN of 7.5. I hope it is either just how the engine is or it is calming down from the dusted turbo. I will sample from here on every 5K. I need to research what other 7.3 owners see with Chrome. Thank for the input guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back