2021 RAV4 Hybrid AWD hot rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pezzy669
....and the demographic driving them will go 0-60 in 44 seconds on a ¼ mile merge from 0-interstate speed.

Nope!
They will either STOP.

Or it will be an interesting 2-3 minutes, since all the long line of cars behind them will want to merge all around them...

P.S. What is with "sport" cars and driving 10-20 mph under the posted speed?

Originally Posted by pezzy669
....and the demographic driving them will go 0-60 in 44 seconds on a ¼ mile merge from 0-interstate speed.

My 268HP RAV6 was a very fun vehicle to drive...I remember when some sod in one of those ridiculous looking Audi TTs made a point of zipping ahead of me to cut me off on a long exit ramp, then hit his brakes.
I whipped around and got back in front of him so fast that his head spun...we got up to the light side by side and I rolled down my window to tell him exactly where to go, and he was just staring at my RAV6 with his mouth hanging open like he had just been humbled by a Model T.
I was still ticked as heck at the loser, but could only laugh at his silly expression.

This new RAV4 Prime sounds right up my alley, probably will be looking to replace my 2014 FXT around 2022 and this could be an outstanding choice for me. The AWD system on my RAV6 was pretty crude, but I would hope the one on the Prime will be superior and I could even deal with a so-so AWD to get the combination of power and gas mileage. The one thing I hope they have fixed is the chirp I used to get from the front tires on a jackrabbit start in the RAV6, seemed silly to have to spin the fronts a bit to get power to the rear.
Can't say this thing is beautiful, but I could live with it (my RAV6 and FXT were/are hardly stunning) and it's way more manly than a TT.... :^)

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
The one thing I hope they have fixed is the chirp I used to get from the front tires on a jackrabbit start in the RAV6, seemed silly to have to spin the fronts a bit to get power to the rear.

The front and the rear are not connected with a driveshaft on the 2019+ hybrid RAV4s. If memory serves me correct, the rear electric unit always engages with some power from a stop with the 2019 and newer hybrids. But as with most slip and grip systems, you may have some front wheel slip until the electronics catch-up and put more power to the rear.

Will this one also fail the evasive maneuvering test or whatever? Inboard wheels go airborne, yikes !!
shocked2.gif

https://www.motor1.com/news/370486/toyota-rav4-moose-test/

Originally Posted by GZRider
Wonder what it will cost?

Look at the price differential between the current Prius and the current Prius Prime - it is about $3500. I would expect the RAV4 Prime to start in the $32-$33K range.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting vehicle that i probably wont buy. Im guessing it costs close to 40k in the basic trim and it will get the federal EV credit. This is what the Chevy Volt should have been, a crossover with awd and useable dimensions.

Interesting for sure and the acceleration numbers do impress me. However, Honda did try to make a performance hybrid Accord over a decade ago and it was a total flop. But perhaps that was because of the early days of hybrids and most people associated hybrids with fuel economy, not performance back then.

I guess well just have wait and see how this thing really performs and sells.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Interesting for sure and the acceleration numbers do impress me. However, Honda did try to make a performance hybrid Accord over a decade ago and it was a total flop. But perhaps that was because of the early days of hybrids and most people associated hybrids with fuel economy, not performance back then.

I guess well just have wait and see how this thing really performs and sells.

I think the Prime models will always remain a Niche car, but the rest of the RAV4 line is simply killin' it right now.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-october-2019-sales/

If you combine the sales of the gas-only model and the hybrid model, they are selling almost 47k units per month. Hybrids are making up more than 20% of RAV4 sales now. From one model alone, the RAV4 sales are more than the total sales of smaller brands such as Mazda or BMW.

Last edited:
Yeah, it makes sense. SUV and CUV market is really hot right now and the hybrid version doesn't penalize the owner on the MPG. Rav4 hybrid is definitely a very good proposition in terms of extra cost and MPG gains. You get a CUV with mpg of a compact sedan, there is very little not to like there.

The RAV4 Hybrid sales are even more impressive if you consider the best discount you can expect is $500 off sticker. Or zero...
Dealers will discount the heck outta the gas only models.

I just went through this; the hybrids were in high demand.
I was looking at a white hybrid; it sold right underneath me and there were no more.

I expect the new CR-V hybrid will change this slightly, but buyers love Toyota hybrids.
There is a reason for it.

Last edited:
The RAV4 with the V6 seemed to be a popular vehicle when it was offered....I see a lot of Foresters but very few XTs (I realize they haven't been offered for a while now), but I also keep an eye out for the V6 badge on the fronts of older RAV4s and they are pretty common. A gal at work still drives one of maybe 2012 vintage.
I happened to meet a manager from a Toyota/Lexus dealer on vacation some time ago and he winced when I mentioned I had a RAV6...he said he hated them because he felt they drew sales away from the more expensive Lexus SUV models. He didn't have the same negative feeling about my wife's Avalon with the same V6, but he told me that his feedback to Toyota was to drop the higher performance version of the RAV4 so they would make more money off Lexus. I also had some difficulty ordering a RAV6 at first (salesman would say Toyota wasn't accepting my order and I had to wait 2 weeks for the next order cycle) and a sympathetic saleslady at my dealer pulled me aside and told me they were waiting for me to cave in and get a Lexus...she said anybody trying to order a highly optioned RAV4 V6 was being put through a waiting game.

I would guess the old RAV6 was phased out to boost Lexus sales and am really glad that Toyota is coming back with a high performance RAV4 that is a hybrid to boot...I'm sure it won't be a budget vehicle, but I will be watching closely for more information on it.

A super expensive hot rod Rav4 ! Usually reserved for the Lexus side of things.
These Rav4s are ugly. Guess you have to buy into that messed-up-chunky style.

302 hp would work in pu trucks or vans. Its time they put this in a Tundra.

Originally Posted by paoester
A super expensive hot rod Rav4 ! Usually reserved for the Lexus side of things.
These Rav4s are ugly. Guess you have to buy into that messed-up-chunky style.

302 hp would work in pu trucks or vans. Its time they put this in a Tundra.

Disagree. Trucks need a long flat torque curve of significant force. While the electric motor of a hybrid excels at peak torque right off the line from zero mph, it drops off quickly and the gasoline side of the driveline is not packing sufficient lb-ft to make a truck-like torque curve as the electric motor torque drops off with increasing rpm.

What they need to do with the jurassic Tundra, is a model refresh. The current Tundra platform is getting grey in the beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back