What happened to the real pickup trucks with regular cabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those 2018 F150 3.3L (4WD, no locker) got down to $26k towards the end of clearance

I can get a 2019 F150 4WD WITH 2.7EB for $30k right now

Last edited:
The EPA penalizes manufacturer's for making 2 or 3 passenger trucks by moving the fuel economy requirements up on low occupancy vehicles.

Most manufacturers want to discontinue 2 door trucks because of this.

I'm just the opposite. I owned three regular cab, long and short bed pickups over the past 30yrs. I loved them, but once I got accustomed to my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab for daily driver use, I would never own a regular cab pickup again unless it was a garage queen, project, plow truck, etc. Barely enough room to store a proper snow brush in a reg cab. Can tell i'm from Buffalo? LOL.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Now, i think there could be a market for a small single cab truck. Trucks in all segments have gotten bigger. I believe a small truck like the old mazda b2000 would be a hit with first home buyers as their second vehicle. Small enough to fit in the drive yet you can get a bags of mulch in the back.

My father owned a Kei vehicle

Sadly what your describing is a Honda Ridgeline

Originally Posted by jhellwig
They still make them. For the most part only fleets and businesses buy them so there isn't much selection unless you order it.

There is always a single cab Silverado on dealership lots around here. But don't expect to find one with anything but the entry level trim and options.

Another thread that is about as useful as the Op's opinion of other people's trucks.

I don't care what configuration makes it a real truck to anyone else. I didn't buy it for them - I bought it for me.

Factoring in inflation, similarly equipped trucks sell at similar prices today. Not I said sell, not sticker for. Nobody pays sticker on an F150 if they know what they are doing...

You know what it is? They make these double cabs and extended cabs so nice, quiet and smooth, that people just commute in them and use them as the family SUV. These things are just too good right now - even the fuel economy is pretty good - I'm averaging almost 24.5 in a full sized V8 4x4 truck. Unheard of ten years ago. And the thing drives like a sedan.

Originally Posted by Railrust
You know what it is? They make these double cabs and extended cabs so nice,

- I'm averaging almost 24.5 in a full sized V8 4x4 truck. Unheard of ten years ago. And the thing drives like a sedan.

My 2wd 82 diesel Suburban with a 5speed manual was pushing 30mpg over its life when not towing.

Too bad they don't make simple inexpensive diesels anymore

My old Chevy. 3rd regular cab long box ive owned.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I bought my Tundra cuz you can't leave anything in the back or it will get stolen.
A regular cab is pretty much useless for what I need a truck for.

Sounds like you need a sedan with a big trunk.

Yeah, but my old Tundra does just about evertyhing well.
Except it drinks too much, like I used to...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by dareo
TourX may be classified as midsize but its huge. Park it next to a Pacifica and its only a few inches smaller. No way i'd want it to be any bigger.

It might be huge to you but compared to a 70's station wagon like the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, it's a compact.

With the Vista Cruiser you needed a intercom to speak to passengers in the third row.

And the Vista Cruiser was the mid size Olds F-85 wagon. Even larger were the full size Olds wagons. The one pictured is the one downsized in 1977 and was still huge.

They were huge and wasted a lot of space with long hoods and bumpers so you didnt even get that great of interior space. Not to mention horrible mpg while still being slow to accelerate. Then the chrysler mini van came along and started killing the great wagon. SUVs and nice crew cab trucks took a lot of mini van sales and here we are today. A fantastic family wagon like the TourX barely musters a thousand unit sales a month. I am good with the low sales and exclusivity.

My last new work truck was a f-250 single cab. What really irked me was how fat the seats got, intruding into my shoulder space. Between that and the steering wheel that came out way too far, I felt cramped.

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by dareo
TourX may be classified as midsize but its huge. Park it next to a Pacifica and its only a few inches smaller. No way i'd want it to be any bigger.

It might be huge to you but compared to a 70's station wagon like the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, it's a compact.

With the Vista Cruiser you needed a intercom to speak to passengers in the third row.

And the Vista Cruiser was the mid size Olds F-85 wagon. Even larger were the full size Olds wagons. The one pictured is the one downsized in 1977 and was still huge.

Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser....Based on the Olds 98, HUGE cars!

Regular cab pickups have gone away because most buyers decided if they are paying over $40k for a vehicle they want to be able to carry more than just a lunch box with them.

Well, I'd certainly not own one as an only vehicle … but that's similar to EV's and sports cars in many cases … we have an SUV and sedans with 4 doors. I have owned them all from 4 door, mid sized, to 2500 diesel … but have never enjoyed driving a pickup like what I have now.
Today it will carry an antique oak desk and some firewood … then an antique sink/counter on Thursday
In between? Tahoe gets the Costco run … rear seats down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back