Premium Fuel-Porsche Cayenne

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if it's matter of decreased performance (horsepower)I am fine with that for normal commuter driving. If there is a risk of engine damage or a long term issue than will use premium.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Skippy722
If premium is required, running lower octane fuel might not hurt it, but you'll get worse fuel economy and lower power. Around here 93 premium is ~$0.60 more per gallon vs 87... or about $8 on a 13 gallon fill up.

There is no reason why it would get worse fuel economy decreased power definitely.

I'm just repeating what the owners manual states.

But to jdw1222, it seems they want 90 minimum for normal driving. They do allow for regular, but only in emergencies and they very explicitly state not to go full throttle.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jdw1222
ok, so sounds to me like i need to plan on using premium 93

COSTCO premium in your area is $2.64/gal vs $2.16/gal for regular.

ThNks. Wish it was closer. Unfortunately About 20 miles out of the way

Will occasionally be close enough to use but not enough for regular fill ups

Originally Posted by jdw1222
it definitely says premium recommended.

but so does our GMC denali and we have run 87 for the last 50K miles without any issues.

i get the porsche isn't the same as a GMC but also dont feel the V6 porsche is on the same level as most other porsche when it comes to performance

will probably go ahead and run premium but wanting to get some ideas of issues 87 would cause

So premium fuel is recommended but not required. Running 87 should not cause any issues. All grades of fuel contain detergents. Run a few consecutive tanks of each and decide for yourselves. If it were my decision, I'd consider my budget, what type of driving is done, if I care about MPG or max performance, etc. I'd ask myself if the additional cost is worth the additional performance and MPG. It might be, might not.

It's supposed to have 93 (R+M)/2. And there are actually a lot of cars these days that are tuned to work with that, including a Subaru WRX. It doesn't specifically say that in the owner's manual, it's been my understanding that the Civic Type R will take advantage of 93 AKI. I was watching so video with the head of operations at the Honda factory, and he mentioned something about the US-spec'ed versions capable of the same rated European power if (I think) 98 RON was used, and that the equivalent fuel in the US would produce the same amount of power. The US rated spec is supposedly for 91 AKI.

I live in California, where anything higher than 91 doesn't exist unless it's blended with 100 octane unleaded race gas. I've seen 92 everywhere on trips to Washington though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back