Samsung DeX for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else use this? Thinking it's going to simplify my life a lot. I put a lot of effort into trying to get Waze to work on my car-mounted Windows laptop (using BlueStack Android emulator) and it was a failure. The way BlueStacks sends GPS info to the apps running in it just didn't work.

Saw a pop up on my Samsung Galaxy S10e for Samsung DeX and wow, it works great!

Last edited:
Never tried Smasung DeX, but Google maps should work great on any PC or laptop.

I tried using Waze and I never liked it. Sure, the various notifications people can leave are nice, but the overall look, interface and different route choices were never intuitive to me like on Google maps.

I'll just ask. Isn't a smartphone easier in simplifying ones life. They seem to just work for mapping in car.

Is the point of Dex to get a large screen in the car. I get it to gain keyboard, mouse and monitor setup to use google docs or MS word for example.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Never tried Smasung DeX, but Google maps should work great on any PC or laptop.

I tried using Waze and I never liked it. Sure, the various notifications people can leave are nice, but the overall look, interface and different route choices were never intuitive to me like on Google maps.

Yeah, honestly Waze has been mostly abandoned by Google ever since they acquired it. It still doesn't even have lane guidance, something literally every other GPS app or even my 8 year old Garmin GPS has. Google Maps is starting to integrate the features like "police reported ahead" etc. so I'm suspending within the next year or so I'm going to ditch Waze and switch to Google Maps.

BTW, Google Maps works fine, but good luck finding an easy to use, cheap USB GPS unit for Windows. There are plenty of cheap UPS GPS chips on Amazon but they are more for marine use and so while there is free software out there to convert them to normal GPS for use with something like Windows 10 Maps (which works really well as real time car nav, I tried it) it's buggy. I just bought a used Getac S400 G2 wannabe-Panasonic-Toughbook laptop on eBay, it may or may not have a GPS chip, we'll see. But in the mean time using Waze (or even Google Maps) from my Android phone using Samsung DeX is free, easy, and so far, reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back