How do you clean your wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a week, I'll pull them off, liberally spray them with Sonax Wheel Cleaner and follow up with Dawn and a brush, finishing off with a good rinse before putting them back on.

I am very happy with Meguiars Ultimate Waterless Tire and Wheels.
Spray it on cool in temperature wheels and tires.
Wipe off the wheels only with a small microfiber cloth.
Done.

BTW nice collection of brushes.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
Once a week, I'll pull them off, liberally spray them with Sonax Wheel Cleaner and follow up with Dawn and a brush, finishing off with a good rinse before putting them back on.

Once a WEEK? Seems like major overkill. I would think that if you're hitting them with some kind of final finish, you could easily do this once a month.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
One or two of these, in various sizes...

[Linked Image from sep.yimg.com]

.. one of these..

[Linked Image from sep.yimg.com]

.. and a diluted spray bottle of this

[Linked Image from todoparatucoche.com]

.. and you're about 95% there. Throw in a high-pressure hose sprayer or pressure washer, and you're there...

Finish with some nice microfiber towels and perhaps a spray sealant to protect and shine, and you're good to go.

I have a brush similar to the red one above, but it's not as dense. I need to get a better one.

Always kept a nice coat of carnauba wax on my alloy wheels and never had a problem with brake dust. Have never cleaned the inside surface however, other than hosing them down along with the undercarriage especially after any salt exposure. I use one of those blue soft brushes and car shampoo on the wheels when I wash the car.

I use four shop towels (the blue paper towels) and a spray bottle of water. I do spray the wheels with TurtleWax Seal&Shine everytime I wash the car so the wheels are easier to clean later on and get less dirty than if I didn't.

I know it's bad for them, but the brake dust off the 300 gives my "hyper black" (they're metallic gray) wheels a nice bronze tint
lol.gif

They come clean with a microfiber towel and some soapy water easy enough though.

Last edited:
I get brake dust off with baby oil and then Dawn to remove that gunk … better air quality ðŸ§

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Wolf359
The key was using ceramic brake pads/Akebono pads, very little brake dust so they don't actually get dirty and I don't really have to clean them.

There is still a small bit of brake dust with Akebonos or any OEM-level NAO "ceramic" pad. It's not the thick metallic European type that can damage the finishes on your wheels due to the metal dust. The binder helps create the sticky mess from brake dust as well.

Yes, it's a very thin layer. Seems to come off when going through the car wash and it just wipes off. Don't even notice it before going through the car wash so the wheels basically always looks good. OEM pads use to just make them black.

You are right Wolf...

The akebono Street Performance pads I had on my car worked awesome... GG friction rated and very very low dust... Way less than what I have on her now... AAP platinum ceramic pads..

Originally Posted by 4WD
I get brake dust off with baby oil and then Dawn to remove that gunk … better air quality ðŸ§

Hey... Just use a proper fitting respirator fool
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back