2019 Honda Ridgeline, thoughts?

The Ridgeline has grown on me. I test drove one.

For daily driving in bad weather, it would be my top choice. I don't like the VCM and fact that it has a timing belt, but the 100k mile service isn't bad if you keep the truck 5-10 years and drive no more than 12k miles per year. I love that it has a good AWD system. If you need a truck for hauling or off-road use, this isn't the one.

Around the corner from me, there is a new Ranger and Colorado. I love the look of the Colorado the most. Ranger is OK. Back is jacked up too high. All of the mid-size trucks are overpriced and overrated IMO, which is why I chose the Frontier.

Originally Posted by The Critic
expensive 100k service ($2k+ for Timing Belt, Valve Adjust and Plugs) and VCM.
Why doesn't Honda use hydraulic valve lash adjusters like almost everybody else?
The Belt should be a 300,000 mile chain. Still, I guess that's not too much cash to part with at 100,000 miles, not too bad.

Here's my thought, if you like it (as you a state you do), it will suit your needs and you can afford it....buy it. Then cross the 'chicken little the sky is falling' 100k mi. interval ruminations bridge when or if you ever get there. Also 'at least' one member has stated in similar new Ridgeline threads, the VCM only active now when Econ mode engaged.

Originally Posted by ls1mike

What are you doing with it?

Mostly I will commute to work 50 minutes, one way. Haul garbage once a week, occasionally haul something dirty that I wouldn't want to put in the trunk of a nice car. No real "heavy lifting" required.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

Here are the things to watch for:
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2g-problems-fixes-tsbs.185/

That's useful, kind of a downer.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Shallow bed depth, 5' long bed, expensive 100k service ($2k+ for Timing Belt, Valve Adjust and Plugs) and VCM. Most of the modern features (ADAS and Carplay) are only available in the upper end trims.

Other than that, it is a great "truck" if you only need an open bed.

That service price is likely $1100 - $1400 in TN. My 07 MDX was done for a tad under $1000 at dealer on a dead day(heavy winter event ).

Originally Posted by terry274
Originally Posted by ls1mike

What are you doing with it?

Mostly I will commute to work 50 minutes, one way. Haul garbage once a week, occasionally haul something dirty that I wouldn't want to put in the trunk of a nice car. No real "heavy lifting" required.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

Here are the things to watch for:
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2g-problems-fixes-tsbs.185/

That's useful, kind of a downer.

Your use case people local to me have zero interest in pickups. They buy a utility trailer (aluminum the easiest) to do the duties you describe. I am able to borrow them in my neighborhood. One guy bought the equivalent of getting the $90k Pickup truck. A power dump on the trailer, its awesome!.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Also 'at least' one member has stated in similar new Ridgeline threads, the VCM only active now when Econ mode engaged.

Nope. VCM engages without econo mode on.

This gen vcm is pretty subtle a bit like short shifting a manual to a higher gear early.
Its pretty unobtrusive - much ado about nothing is my feeling i wouldn't bother with cheat devices.

To answer another question re the gen 2 - You can lock it in low gear.

UD

My contact at the Honda dealer has been tempting with very favorable pricing on the current 2019's. A mid level AWD model is in the $32k range right now, and it would more than suit my needs.

Originally Posted by terry274
I am thinking of buying a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL or RTL-E. Is there anything to watch out for on these?

the hideous appearance?

Maybe it locks it in second instead of first?
Will run some tests just too satisfy my own curiosity on the subject matter...

UD

To the OP I'd say if you like it , get it. They've got their advantages and disadvantages depending on what you try to do with it. They've got a rep for versatility and efficiency.

L does not start in second. It starts in first.

I get an upshift going up a hill but not down a hill.

SO you cannot technically lock it into first gear.

UD

It has a great AWD system for inclement weather. I've been seeing quite a few around here.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
To the OP I'd say if you like it , get it. They've got their advantages and disadvantages depending on what you try to do with it. They've got a rep for versatility and efficiency.

Comparison
I don't see any advantages.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Comparison
I don't see any advantages.

Small. Easy to park. Nice interior. Nice tech. Cool bed design. Good fuel efficiency. Comfortable and quiet. A design that isn't over-the-top 'Murica with bling and giant grills and emblems.

If I was in the market for a truck it would be a Black Edition Ridgeline, and it would be perfect for me.

I wouldn't call the ridgeline small, its 78.6" wide. Its like 7/8ths full size. It would be perfect for my mom but its too much wider than her old dakota. Ridgeline is wide enough that you might as well have a full size half ton.

Now that they fixed the seats in the 2020 tacoma it deserves a serious look.

Back