Honda Extended Warranty 6 Speed Transmission Pilots and Ridgeline Torque Convertors

Honda released a new extended warranty for the 6 speed transmissions in the 2017-20218 Pilots and 2017-2019 Ridgeline torque convertors. There have been numerous failures of this component. The new warranty extends coverage to 8 years or 150000 miles. I believe reimbursement for any previous work paid for will be made after submitting a claim for such. Not sure why the Pilot doesn't cover the 2019 model same as the Ridgeline is because I thought the 6 speed was the same in the 2019 Pilot as the 2017-2018.

torque 6 speed.JPG

I feel pretty good about this although I've not had a problem.

Too bad the extended warranty doesn't cover all 2017 6 speed pilots. Our torque converter is going out on our 2017 pilot and Honda won't cover a dime. $4,700 we have to pay. So upset and not happy at all with Honda

I am happy to see that Honda is acknowledging there could be a problem and that they are willing to take care of their customers.
They aren't taking care of every customer. Our 2017 Honda pilot torque converter is going out and Honda isn't covering a dime. It's apparently only for certain Vin numbers. Yet less than 100,000 miles and our is fried. So angry and absolutely appalled at Hondas lack of customer service. $4,700 were supposed to pay

They aren't taking care of every customer. Our 2017 Honda pilot torque converter is going out and Honda isn't covering a dime. It's apparently only for certain Vin numbers. Yet less than 100,000 miles and our is fried. So angry and absolutely appalled at Hondas lack of customer service. $4,700 were supposed to pay
How often did you replace the fluid?

All maintenance was done when recommended. Their standing by the fact that my pilots Vin number didn't come from the factory with faulty torque converter. But yet, my torque converter is faulty and I'm within the 8 years 150,000 miles. We presented honda with all our maintenance records

All maintenance was done when recommended. Their standing by the fact that my pilots Vin number didn't come from the factory with faulty torque converter. But yet, my torque converter is faulty and I'm within the 8 years 150,000 miles. We presented honda with all our maintenance records
That is a pretty broad statement, a service writer could’ve ignored the MM subcodes if the LOF’s were done early.

I will say that Honda’s intervals are pretty short for the 6AT but even at those intervals, it was often not frequent enough.

We changed oil before every 5,000 miles and transmission every 40,000. That's when the codes alerted us to service the transmission. When we took it into the dealership for the torque converter they said the transmission fluid looked good.

We changed oil before every 5,000 miles and transmission every 40,000. That's when the codes alerted us to service the transmission. When we took it into the dealership for the torque converter they said the transmission fluid looked good.
Definitely was not often enough. I usually service those every 15-20K, which is about as long as you can go without experiencing shudder issues. Fluid is usually quite dark by that point.

On the later models, the code usually pops up by 25k.

Too bad the extended warranty doesn't cover all 2017 6 speed pilots. Our torque converter is going out on our 2017 pilot and Honda won't cover a dime. $4,700 we have to pay. So upset and not happy at all with Honda
Outside of the diagnostic code, is this failure mode causing the lockup material to spall off and plug up other parts of the transmission? Or can you just continue to drive it with some loss of fuel economy and an annoying CEL? Is there a way to disable the lockup solenoid function to prevent material spalling?

Back