Long Battery Life - From Sitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I take care of my great-aunt and uncle's home and car while they are out of the country. They live in The Netherlands for 7 months of the year and here in Phoenix for 5 months of the year (mid October- mid-March). Their last battery I installed 10/2011 (made 9/2011) and it was a Super Start Extreme from O'Reilly's. Batteries in Phoenix rarely last longer than 3 years so for this one still going after 8 years, is really wild. I replaced it with a $75 Walmart 2 year battery so they don't get stranded. This past summer it wouldn't start if I left it alone for almost 2 months but after a charge it's fine.

It was in their 1998 Plymouth Breeze 2.0L. I drive the car every other year in June/July to the emissions test which is probably 15-20 miles round trip. Only the past 2 or 3 years have I driven it over to my grandparent's house (3 blocks away) and put it on the battery charger every 6-7 weeks. So 5 years or so it had only 1 drive in the 7 months per year it sat. Actually less since 1/2 those years it didn't need emissions.
2 of the past 8 years they were only here for less than one month so the car sat for 11 months.

Are these actually good conditions for batteries? My guess is since heat kills batteries, and it doesn't get driven in the summer is why it's lasted so long. But it's also not kept topped off all these years. It gets short tripped when they're here with the occasional long drive, about 10k miles in 8 years.

This new battery looks just like the old one. Who is the manufacturer?
[Linked Image]

Is it stored in a garage? I wonder if charging and discharging slowly made it last that long.

Honestly it helps that it's a Plymouth breeze. My parents' 97 OE battery lasted forever, it was still good and they replaced it just as insurance at 11 or 12 years. The OE battery in their 94 précis was similarly replaced at 10 years...

Arizona is hot, but if the car sits, it's only seeing ambient temperatures max, the battery is somewhat cooler being shaded, especially if the car is shaded.

Sitting means the battery looses charge which is bad, but batteries that arent super optimized for every last cca will have less total surface area, and sometimes that's good for warding off sulfation. Since you charge it every 6-7 weeks, it's never that low.

So amlow parasitic, simple car, with low use and reasonable maintenance don the battery will get you there. For every one who is running scared based upon getting burned with a bad experience, there's someone else who doesn't charge their battery and gets more than the 2-5 years that get folks into the scare zone...

You got good life as I'd expect. Here's to getting the same on the next one.

The breeze was a good car for what it was, a simple, bare bones, midsize car. The 2.0 can be alittle loud and uninspiring, but it works and is economical. I think my parents got rid of theirs at 190 or 200k. The hood was rusty but the paint on that car always looked good.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Get a Battery Minder https://www.batteryminders.com/1510-12-volt-maintenance-charger-desfulator-with-warranty

They own a condo, so no power available and parking is like an apartment.

Originally Posted by Rand
phoenix? Solar(powered) battery charger.

I actually bought a 100w solar panel and a solar charge controller and wiring and used it to charge the battery on it a couple weeks ago. Stuck the panel in the back window.

But I have to bring it to my grandpa's house to do that, their parking is shaded.

Heat is harder on a battery than anything else. Also, the fewer discharge/charge cycles a battery has to encounter adds to its longevity. Provided it is not allowed to become fully discharged.

I aways have gotten around ten years from each of my batteries in my car which is used about ten times in the summer. I had this car since 1989 and keep the maintainer on it..

Last edited:
I just replaced an OEM battery on a 2017 Honda CR-V. Of course I was gone when the wife had problems with it. At 1st I did the initial steps, charged & checked, cleaned connections. I was a bit slow to think the battery was bad already.

I added 110 CCA with a Maxx battery from Walmart. My connections are clean with terminal grease. So far all is well.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
This new battery looks just like the old one. Who is the manufacturer?....
Clarios is the former is the former JCI, so Johnson Controls. Same as old battery. Happen to see a COO anywhere on the new battery?
http://www.batteriesinternational.c...ios-to-focus-on-advanced-battery-growth/

I'm too am curios if car was stored inside out of sun or outside when not being used. If inside, I'd think that a big factor in it's life. If not, I'd think pretty impressive result. I had a Tacoma stored outside in sun Autocraft Gold, that didn't last as long a Silver battery vehicle stored in garage. As you note, heat a battery killer.

I actually bought a 100w solar panel and a solar charge controller and wiring and used it to charge the battery on it a couple weeks ago. Stuck the panel in the back window.

That's a bit overkill. You should check bat voltage after a few hours in the sun to see if it overcharges (over 14V).
I'm a weekend driver and use a 10W solar charger on the dash.
The highest voltage I get is 13.4V.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith

That's a bit overkill. You should check bat voltage after a few hours in the sun to see if it overcharges (over 14V).
I'm a weekend driver and use a 10W solar charger on the dash.
The highest voltage I get is 13.4V.

It doesn't overcharge, battery was at 12.78V when I took it off. Battery couldn't even begin to crank the engine before.

Battery couldn't even begin to crank the engine before.

It's true 100W isn't overkill to charge a drained battery.
I assumed you were just keeping a charged battery topped off.
I keep the 10W panel on all the time.
The 13.4V I mentioned is during charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back