New battery improve gas miles ?

I replace a new battery ( ever star value ) last everstar value last me 3-4 years .

After replace I note my truck run a lot better and it’s jump from 11mpg to 13mpg .

2 inch lift with off road tires .

Quick note . Check your battery . If it more then 3 years old . Get it check . Battery don’t last as long like back in early 2000 . Those battery I own back then last 5-8 years.

I have noticed that with one of my vehicles, if I disconnect the battery for any reason(e.g., maintenance) and reconnect the battery, the mpg on my first 2 tanks of gas after the battery reconnect are really much better than what I was getting. Then the fuel economy drops off again to what I had been getting.

And I've noticed with another one of my vehicles that doing the same procedure as above^^^, my fuel economy would drop for a couple of tanks of gas then get really good for a while before returning to what I had been getting prior.

I think it's the disconnect/reconnect of the battery or installing a new battery as you did, the computer resets to the relearn mode. And also, that each engine & ECM act differently.

Just my thoughts and experience.

I have noticed that with one of my vehicles, if I disconnect the battery for any reason(e.g., maintenance) and reconnect the battery, the mpg on my first 2 tanks of gas after the battery reconnect are really much better than what I was getting. Then the fuel economy drops off again to what I had been getting.

And I've noticed with another one of my vehicles that doing the same procedure as above^^^, my fuel economy would drop for a couple of tanks of gas then get really good for a while before returning to what I had been getting prior.

I think it's the disconnect/reconnect of the battery or installing a new battery as you did, the computer resets to the relearn mode. And also, that each engine & ECM act differently.

Just my thoughts and experience.

I'd put my money on this also.

It's hard for me to think of a battery making a meaningful difference. I suppose one that's marginal could be putting more of a load on the alternator to top it back up after starting. Still, though, a bit of Googling finds F150 alternators rated 95-150A. If I go down the middle and take 135A, which is right around 2000W at full power, that translates to 2.6HP. I can't imagine a marginal battery, though, putting more than a few extra amps of load on the alternator. There are far too many other factors that change day to day, or even hour to hour, to even notice that difference. Turning on the headlights or radio probably makes as much if not more of a difference.

The old rule I remember on Fords was that they take 3 "driving cycles"(defined as starting from cold, getting fully up to operating temperture, and then cooling back down) to "relearn" after the battery has been disconnected. Depending on how and how often you drive it, that could easily be several days(if it's not driven every day, or short tripped enough that it doesn't get up to operating temperature every day). Of course too it's constantly adjusting to your driving style.

That can easily mean a temporary change in fuel economy until you have enough drive time on it for it to get back to your old driving habits. I wouldn't count on it being permanent.

If an old battery means the alternator has to work harder, then I could see that being a factor as well. Seems plausible to me. How measurable is debatable.

Just thinking about Oxygen sensors here, but it is good to know that under most conditions, modern engines "ride" on the O2 sensor. In other words, the Air/Fuel mixture is actively controlled by the readings the sensor produces.

It is entirely possible that a battery disconnect puts the ECU into re-learn mode. Where the ECU needs to both relearn the engine and conditions, and also determine how much ethanol is in the fuel. Remember, the ECU will inject less fuel if there is no ethanol, and this is sometimes where the ECU starts from.

In many cases, a new O2 sensor will improve MPG. As an older sensor is likely to be "lazy" if not inaccurate.

You'd be surprised at how much power it takes to turn an alternator, especially under full load.

Not really-

As I said, a 135A alternator(which at the higher end of the middle range of what I could find for F150 alternators-anything from 95A to 150A) can output 2000W, although that's peak output and most alternators need to be spinning ~4K+ to hit peak(and when they get there will depend on the relative diameters of the crank pulley and alternator pulley).

Let's assume, though, for the sake of discussion, that it's actually at peak output because of the battery. Conveniently enough, we can convert watts directly to horsepower, and 2000W is ~2.6HP. Of course there's some loss from the bearings and such, and I'd guess it's at least a little bit load dependent, but an unloaded alternator isn't exactly difficult to spin by hand. A dirty vehicle may well add enough air resistance to rob that kind of power(if not more) at highway speeds.

Just spitballing, but to bring numbers back to reality I'd guess a less than great battery(not going to call it "bad" because the OP just called it old, and didn't indicate that it was having issues consistently starting the truck or anything like that) might at most draw 10A more off the alternator than a "good" one. An alternator putting out an extra 10A at 14.4V will be using 144W, or about .2HP. Driving in the rain at night with your lights and wipers on likely pulls as much if not more power.

There are things that make real, noticeable differences in gas mileage. Underinflated tires are a big one, and experience across a few different cars has told me that I can easily lose 1-2mpg when they are low. Aside from the safety fall out from the Explorer/Firestone fiasco, one of the other stated benefits of requiring TPMS in 2006(or was it everything made after 2006? Whichever it was) was that "most" people didn't know when their tires were low and it could end up having a big environmental impact.

For the OP, if they really wanted to save gas, going back to standard size wheels and street tires and saving the off road tires for actual off road use would probably do a whole lot more for their gas consumption than changing batteries.

I seem to recall at least one other
thread on this subject:

When you pull the battery, many cars have to relearn the throttle and the transmission relearns some aspects of shifting so it's possible that pulling the battery and forcing those relearns caused you to gain some fuel mileage.

Back