How Come Some Threads Vanish Instead of Just Getting Locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My travel thread vanished. I understand if it was inappropriate in some way or if it went off the rails that a thread lock is necessary along with notification/ warning, but it simply disappeared without notice.

The Bay Area thread became 95% commentary that was related to politics and political decisions, and so it was taken down to remove such commentary.

Kinda sad when people keep infusing politics into simple threads.....if they want to discuss politics, get a Facebook account!

It's a good reason why myself and others stopped or cutting the posting down quite a bit.........
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by JHZR2
The Bay Area thread became 95% commentary that was related to politics and political decisions, and so it was taken down to remove such commentary.

Perhaps warn those posting the improper commentary? Maybe that would help more than taking down the thread.
I am not sure I saw "political decisions"; perhaps I missed those.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Perhaps warn those posting the improper commentary? Maybe that would help more than taking down the thread.
I am not sure I saw "political decisions"; perhaps I missed those.

I only read the first few posts and the 2nd one was about poop patrol and the 3rd one was how SF won't prosecute people for stealing loose change out of a car. I guess it went off the rails from there.

Sounds like it will be restored once cleaned up ? Hopefully the trolls that polluted the thread are punished as well.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I think it would have made more sense to remove or edit those posts than to remove the whole thread. But I'm not a mod so I don't know what that involves.

That makes sense to me, delete the offending post, warn the poster and move on with the topic. If it gets out of hand after that lock it, or remove it entirely.

Repeating situation. Threads removed when they could have simply been closed to allow access to the good information in them. It is a disservice to the members when an oil thread with awesome information is deleted because of a couple idiots fighting over nothing.

Every forum I've moderated, we warned the offending member and removed their posts. Sometimes closed threads sometimes not. I have sent messages to wilson and other mods but my suggestions have fallen on deaf ears.

It is the way it is....

I think it would have made more sense to remove or edit those posts than to remove the whole thread. But I'm not a mod so I don't know what that involves.

More work to delete individual posts vs a single "delete thread" option....

Originally Posted by demarpaint

That makes sense to me, delete the offending post, warn the poster and move on with the topic. If it gets out of hand after that lock it, or remove it entirely.

+1

When I go golfing, I take extra balls. When I play tennis, I don't take extra balls. Some sports require extra balls if you are to successfully finish. Golfing where I golf...

I've dealt with these threads before. If it was one post that needs to be removed -- fine, no problem. But what typically happens is a troll makes an inappropriate comment, then others respond in kind. To sanitize such a thread is a lot of work, more than a volunteer moderator is willing to do. So it gets locked or deleted.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I've dealt with these threads before. If it was one post that needs to be removed -- fine, no problem. But what typically happens is a troll makes an inappropriate comment, then others respond in kind. To sanitize such a thread is a lot of work, more than a volunteer moderator is willing to do. So it gets locked or deleted.

While I respect the rights of the owner to do whatever they like, I also wonder if the deleting of threads and locking is really requested by the membership. Whether they go off the rails or not, threads eventually die on their own with or without moderation. I also question whether some of the threads deleted are really political. Poop on the streets are just facts. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The thread about police parking in the center turn lane in the dark with no lights also disappeared.

50.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
While I respect the rights of the owner to do whatever they like, I also wonder if the deleting of threads and locking is really requested by the membership.
Doesn't matter at the end of the day
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I also question whether some of the threads deleted are really political. Poop on the streets are just facts.

I've seen this confusion at many sites. Anything that refers to government is often wrongly confused with politics. I never found it difficult to distinguish the two but some do....

Originally Posted by Kestas

Totally. Sometimes I pick the matts of fur out of my cat's belly. Sometimes I just shave him. Has to do with the pervasiveness of the problem and my level of patience at that moment.

There's apparently a "timeout" forum us peons can't see where threads go to get trimmed. Saw it once during a site hiccup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back