How do you store your socket sets?

I use a combination of Hansen trays and other various magnetic rails. I really like the Hansen 3 row models in 1/4 & 3/8" drive because I have mid-depths in both of those sizes. Some people really like the Koken magnetic rails the come with their Z series sockets, you can buy these exact same rails at Harbor Freight without the Koken same stenciled on top for much cheaper cost.
AIL4fc97mYzhq2JqJaWxUwkzZsovgVQo5wbpLbAIOxYJwmMERbW8-C-Qng2-_UqzUgaimFdb6XbumkXni897_pTwr15mxtYxAb-GNLJHyqMDLkMMbA7BJIwUhjEjDAoRZy_s0poS6_ZyxDLD3vNqjk4etc2VtI2_8DF0ICKY6DMhZPk05vJDIEJfzomxHDII8f-I0AAVCSDyslTw-qdYk_9ZEWVyoXkKrGXL4hUf_0i1xxhAb3Rv1DeTUFUbRp_6_QY5HfAJc2tdpAGm1VyM2C0buV06UHzAV2xNhOwunrXABcGwWCiVHhOIm9Aogwnz9h1x21IrAsskeTPq11ukRKoBKo84Ruy0fY_PqFeeTqpIKN83pVOEDRdfupPAt1nfFWdMzsxho5kgrfIMKpIKpZAUppo_OCcm2jVxYxNoUmNDf5y2lU1vUV9hFWuhf-IKMF_LmC7Ig1CUV3hrEtC2-v0HkZtshR0JQA0LOFkb4qdQi72KuHujXTAxLDJMyNjoogjOb4pxgrB9YdjnN1FeMuFIyglQciiR36UKsraEIZXk_c43cXvearLUIVwy2ZBSu5v27QqYrBlFUrp5WZh4iQ4nA38j7oKILLcPxCAUPEP-h6WmIhU4uRzMI0rpn1-EKxtSCZHYCNJheb8DYVTPIHcBlGrL_I-HGI7NBQ9i1qfKX5GVNYsOiQ9dK50e8DHzjE5Q6T9mgMHOFaHZxRulnLv4nQ4Q4bBzJ0FhHj4jNqK2HLYGNjww77r20FhBuJh9fVpSnuEWDrgRw7IkYm3jcuGR9ZU2BzeIhIYgt2EeJSGgqzbeuYrVVLRcUbQopvWqZ1pugelvssKmDaW_ciCGnznqTDWRUJRPkfiHf76zzW0gvaMUzrDwlqIY-LqYIGjKdirhP9gqiWAjZ97QkQMxEC18GX6RZNs=w1605-h903-s-no

I was unclear but it sounds like OP needs portability and was NOT asking for suggestions for a "shop" box?

Thus I'm withholding suggestions like Hanson plastic pegs etc.

I have metric and SAE 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 and like to keep them in the same place but separated. I have one Kobalt steel tray for metric and one for SAE. Not all my sockets fit, but the most common ones get priority. These trays hold well and can be easily carried if I am working away from the toolbox...my only complaint is that they only come in blue, so metric and SAE trays look identical.

20230713_120519.jpg

Have the garage set in a tool box or cabinet, organized with rails or socket trays as others have shown. Then set up a separate tool bag or tool box for travel, "grab and go". I would guess that you don't typically take all of your sockets, wrenches, pliers, drivers, etc when traveling, and the travel tools could be much more focused.

@RooflessVW has posted his kaizen foam organization before, and it's really slick. Find the right Packout or similar box and that might be the best option.

Have the garage set in a tool box or cabinet, organized with rails or socket trays as others have shown. Then set up a separate tool bag or tool box for travel, "grab and go". I would guess that you don't typically take all of your sockets, wrenches, pliers, drivers, etc when traveling, and the travel tools could be much more focused.

@RooflessVW has posted his kaizen foam organization before, and it's really slick. Find the right Packout or similar box and that might be the best option.

I'm actually about to follow up on that thread. Because of a policy change I have to redo everything with "color contrast" foam for "easy identification of missing tools."

So I'm moving to two Large Packouts instead of a Large and a Medium, adding a bunch of tools, and moving some stuff around.

My socket drawer is FULL. So, all over the place is my answer and I simply could not find my 1/2" SAE deeps yesterday. 3/4" box end spanner did the trick but holy vicar. Feel free to insert USA swear words.

Most of my sockets are from my Craftsman 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 set that came in its own 'toolbox' with blow molded drawers.

I simply put each of those plastic drawers in a drawer of my tool chest. It's not a very efficient use of vertical space since everything but the 1/2" (all 12-point shallow) lay flat, but I love knowing exactly where each socket should be and can easily see when something is missing.

My most used sockets are in the top compartment of my toolbox for easy access on a combination of rails and magnetic holders. Newer sets are in the holders because that is what they came off the tool truck in. Less used sockets are in plastic trays or blow molded cases elsewhere in my toolbox, again whatever they came in. I have a tool grid setup for my metric wrench drawer that I love and have been meaning to do one for the common sockets for years and havent gotten around to it.

Bought a half dozen of these last year. Very pleased with the quality and layout as well as easy to see numbers.

main-image_de32e564-cbc6-4cf1-94de-efb6b928f588.jpg
I like the magnetic socket holders as well. Happy with them. You can take the whole tray of sockets to the car with out worrying about them spilling or rolling anywhere.

The 3/4 drive stays in the bottom drawer in the blowmold case, it's a decent case

I may get some more for swivel sockets.
IMG_20230713_211058801.jpg
IMG_20230713_211104947.jpg
IMG_20230713_211123998.jpg
IMG_20230713_211229033.jpg

Thanks for the advice all.

I think I'm going to get some shallow Makita stackable boxes and used Kaizen foam to secure all my bits. Question is how to group my sockets and accessories together. :ROFLMAO:

I hung socket rails on the wall in the garage. The rails never worked well for me in a tool box.

I so keep some in their original blow mold case until the case fails.

If I needed a set for the trunk of the car or something I will just spend $20 on a cheap socket set in a case to get me by.

Reactions: GON
The ones that came in blow molded cases stay in them. My main set was a great large craftsman set that my wife, fiancée at the time, gave me as a gift.

All the rest are on metal rails. Not the biggest fan, but I can stack them and drop them in a drawer a drawer or bag, and keep lots of stuff together. Those flat organization trays are nice if you have endless space or want to keep it flat. Not helpful if I want to take stuff from my basement to driveway or garages.

So I find the metal rails to be the best. Not fancy or pretty. Just useful.

While Astro expounds upon the virtues of the metric system, he still knows important distances are measured in nautical miles, and any important speed is measured in knots.

Back to tools, atikovi those might be the neatest racks I've seen yet.
And loosens that 10mm nut with a 10mm socket driven by a 3/8 inch ratchet!

Back