How do you store your socket sets?

How does everyone store their socket sets?

My Father bought me a large socket set when I turned 17 but the box fell apart a number of years ago. In addition, I've collected a few extra sockets, extensions, torque wrenches etc.

I'm currently storing everything in a toolbox on socket rails but find the sockets fall off regularly, especially when travelling. Also with everything in one box it weighs around 30kg (Or 66lbs for you US peoples) which is getting a little silly to lump around.

So how is everyone storing their socket sets? I'm wondering if a stackable toolbox set on wheels is the way forward. But doesn't mitigate the socket rails issue.

I bought those rails when Sears was going out of business, and they are hit or miss as sockets routinely fall off. Then I bought plastic ones on Amazon that seemed to have high ratings, and that’s marginally better. Shame I feel some trepidation and frustration when I think I need a socket other than my normal sae or metric 1/2” drive (not sure which tool box to look in).

Meaning I have 3/8 and 1/4 and ratchets of all sorts, but I cringe if I know I need a 3/8 deep etc. I would love to have space in the garage and one of those huge HFT chests, and get organizized! 🙂

I store mine in roll around multi-drawer chests. I use the cast plastic stands for the sockets that have the size marked at the base and a vertical plastic bar that holds the sockets. These are, at least to me, a lot better than the socket bars. I can easily see the size and easily remove and replace the socket. Because the stamds are several inches wide, they don't fall over in the tool chest. Easily available at any of the big box builder stores like Lowes.

I store mine in roll around multi-drawer chests. I use the cast plastic stands for the sockets that have the size marked at the base and a vertical plastic bar that holds the sockets. These are, at least to me, a lot better than the socket bars. I can easily see the size and easily remove and replace the socket. Because the stamds are several inches wide, they don't fall over in the tool chest. Easily available at any of the big box builder stores like Lowes.

Do you have a link to these please?

Mine are on rails. Way too many sets to lug around. Sockets alone would weigh well over 100 Kg (for those of you who gave us a measurement system, and then backed out and chose the French system). They’re stored in cabinets. On wheels. I grab the rail I need.

68882775576__96C5C775-7F4A-4354-AEC9-8834BB2CD8CC.jpeg

I’ve used these rails. The rails are common and you mix and match the socket holders, so, you can have 1/4”, 3/8” and 1/2” sockets on the same rail, for example, grouping together torx sockets. Color coded for metric, SAE, torx, and impact. They’re good quality. My only complaint is that the rails are narrow, and for larger sockets (like the 3/4” on the left, or deep 1/2” sockets) the rails tend to fall over.

I wonder if, perhaps, there is a better way. I could orient the rails in the direction of drawer travel, if my drawers were deeper. There are also socket holders made by the company that have a wider base, but I like the rail flexibility.

IMG_9095.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine are on rails. Way too many sets to lug around. Sockets alone would weigh well over 100 Kg (for those of you who gave us a measurement system, and then backed out and chose the French system).

This amused me. But as a Brit, I'll be the first to admit the Imperial system was rubbish and the metric system is just better in every way. :ROFLMAO:

This amused me. But as a Brit, I'll be the first to admit the Imperial system was rubbish and the metric system is just better in every way. :ROFLMAO:
Well, not to get too far off topic, but the metric system is superior when doing science. The units make sense, and are defined using other metric units.

However, the imperial system was based on the physical world… a man’s foot is, well, a foot long. A Yard is the distance from nose to forefinger. A pound is about a handful of most things.

And a pint is the perfect size for a glass.

I note, with amusement, and clear acknowledgment of how the imperial system is connected to the human experience, that you continue to serve beer in pints.

Well, not to get too far off topic, but the metric system is superior when doing science. The units make sense, and are defined using other metric units.

However, the imperial system was based on the physical world… a man’s foot is, well, a foot long. A Yard is the distance from nose to forefinger. A pound is about a handful of most things.

And a pint is the perfect size for a glass.

I note, with amusement, and clear acknowledgment of how the imperial system is connected to the human experience, that you continue to serve beer in pints.

And lets not forget our speed is measured in MPH yet we buy fuel in litres and tell people how economical our car is by how many miles we get to a gallon of fuel. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, for spanners, I am a fan of these urethane holders. Flexible, available in a variety of sizes, they keep the spanners organized, with sizes visible, and easily available.

While Astro expounds upon the virtues of the metric system, he still knows important distances are measured in nautical miles, and any important speed is measured in knots.

Back to tools, atikovi those might be the neatest racks I've seen yet.

Hansen trays for me. Easy to see the size, grab the socket, and the tray holds any dirt or oil that may be in the socket. Not ideal for mobile use though.

Travel in trunk of car vs stored at home in the garage?

I've kept using a cheap set of tools in the car, in a blow molded case. They're cheap but they aren't expected to be used--anything that stresses these tools, probably not going to get done on the side of the road. But it's a decent emergency backup, can be used if someone needs some odd job (like visit the inlaws and need to fix their wheelbarrow). Otherwise it tucks away nicely in the trunk.

My home set... eh, it's a mess. But in my defense, Astro's toolbox costs more than my car. The racks and trays and such probably cost more than my car. Nothing wrong with that, in the cycling world it's a badge of honor to have a bicycle worth more than the car it's strapped to. Good tools and well organized can be a joy of their own.

I try to at least keep the sockets on a spring rail. Recent HF wrenches get stored in the plastic holder they come in. If I could find another spot for a cabinet of drawers I might try to get more organized beyond that.

Back