Cut Off Fuel Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble with the quick-release fittings on my 05 Saab 9-5 fuel filter. My Saab mechanic couldn't get them to budge either.

I was thinking of snipping the inlet and outlet tubes and then trying to get at the clips from the inside.

I'm just worried that I would be risking a huge mess.

That sounds like the next owners problem to me.
whistle.gif

Your Saab DOESN'T HAVE the 2 banjo fittings on each end?? It requires 4 copper gaskets--which I could give you!

If Saab put on quick releases, please describe them. Ex: 2 opposes square buttons? or round ones which take the shove-in, collar style tool (real cheap tool).

I gotta go to RockAuto to see which gas filter they list.

Did you see any of this yourself? A real stupid mechanic looked at my car ('99 9-5). He saw the fuel filter and said it was a vapor canister.

Dippy-doo.

ps NAPA sells an easy kit with 18" long replacement lengths of fuel line and quick disconnects for 5/16 (nearly universal) fittings.

Hi, I'm back from the RA site. Your Saab has the very same style as all the ones we and our friends owned.
See if your mechanic's head isn't in a dark place.
Two wrenches. One holds the filter's hex and one turns the darn bolt. If he can't figure that one out....go elsewhere.

Near No. New Jersey?

They are high pressure fuel lines if the pump is in the tank. I repaired our Ford Contour fuel pump by breaking off the stuck nylon barbs on top the assembly , and drilling and tapping 1/8"NPT threads into the plastic housing and using brass nipples, rubber hoses slid them on the broken off barbs where the black nylon fuel line gets pressed in and used screw hose clamps. It holds that 45 psi fuel pressure now for 2 years.

Those connections are snap in on the Ford, and they were thoroughly stuck, car made in 1998. I figured gasoline had swollen the plastic.
If you had not seen it, you cant really imagine the repair.

The rubber hoses I used are marine A1 fuel line with a nylon liner, good stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira

Hi, I'm back from the RA site. Your Saab has the very same style as all the ones we and our friends owned.
Two wrenches. One holds the filter's hex and one turns the darn bolt. If he can't figure that one out....go elsewhere.

I just checked as well - it's easy as pie once the fuel filter bracket is off, it's a standard Bosch filter without quick-connect fittings like on some BMWs and Mercedes. A 14/15mm for the banjo bolts and a 17/19mm for the filter in/outs is all you need.

Originally Posted by user52165
There are special tools for that job. Cheap, simple, but effective.

I tried a 3/8" Lisle tool. I don't have the room between the fitting and the filter to release the connector.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Kira

I just checked as well - it's easy as pie once the fuel filter bracket is off, it's a standard Bosch filter without quick-connect fittings like on some BMWs and Mercedes. A 14/15mm for the banjo bolts and a 17/19mm for the filter in/outs is all you need.

My car doesn't have the banjo bolts. It has Ford-style, quick-release fittings.

Originally Posted by ET16
Originally Posted by user52165
There are special tools for that job. Cheap, simple, but effective.

I tried a 3/8" Lisle tool. I don't have the room between the fitting and the filter to release the connector.

A couple of good pics, if possible, would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back