Mobile fuel tank filter orientation?

My parents bought me a little diesel tank caddy that I would like to add a filter to.

The fuel outlet from the tank is just a vertical 3/4” pipe on the top. The easiest thing to do is add an inline housing and a canister filter, which would be in a horizontal position. I’m guessing the more correct way would be to add a 90* to make the filter hang vertically to allow all the crud to settle at the bottom. I worry it would make the unit a little bulkier and the filter and such would be more likely to get bumped and damaged.

Does it really matter or am I overthinking this?

Here’s a link of the unit.

Last edited:
It's not as if you were ever going to stash a 30 gallon wheeled tank on a shelf.
Add whatever optional filter you need. How big is the one offered/mentioned in the product description?

Assuming you need diesel on hand for starting/testing a dry/recently repaired engine, might a catch tub for emptying the vehicle before work can be started be more useful?

Last edited:
It's not as if you were ever going to stash a 30 gallon wheeled tank on a shelf.
Add whatever optional filter you need. How big is the one offered/mentioned in the product description?

Assuming you need diesel on hand for starting/testing a dry/recently repaired engine, might a catch tub for emptying the vehicle before work can be started be more useful?
The tank is only to have fuel on hand for my tractors.

Back