Recent Topics
Ford PVD Wheels Defects
by kstanf150 - 05/29/20 07:48 PM
General thoughts on high milage oils.
by tblt44 - 05/29/20 07:09 PM
Jeep Wrangler JL
by dishdude - 05/29/20 06:43 PM
Valvoline MaxLife 5W-20
by Jackson_Slugger - 05/29/20 06:33 PM
Yamaha dry sump PWC and oil level sensitivity.
by ledslinger - 05/29/20 06:30 PM
WSS-M2C946-B1 vs WSS-M2C961-A1
by W9HDG - 05/29/20 06:16 PM
Waterfall Eco Dynamic tires
by Saabist - 05/29/20 05:55 PM
O’reilly clearance
by Gonz - 05/29/20 04:56 PM
2016 Overland Jeep Wrangler Oil/Filter
by Since1941 - 05/29/20 04:24 PM
Next Pistol Opinions
by Gebo - 05/29/20 03:28 PM
Briggs and Stratton valve clearance
by supton - 05/29/20 02:38 PM
50 cal. shell
by Donald - 05/29/20 01:52 PM
Fleet Farm Rotella T6 Sale + Shell Rebate
by shibby6600 - 05/29/20 01:26 PM
QS Ultimate Durability 5W-30
by js1956 - 05/29/20 12:51 PM
KPVD Eerily Deserted
by wings&wheels - 05/29/20 12:24 PM
BMW N55 Recommendations
by BSchmidt25 - 05/29/20 10:21 AM
Castrol / Mobil 1 blend?
by mbres2000 - 05/29/20 09:40 AM
Newest Members
dieselworks, suburbandoom, alltogether, Vig03, dstocker
71566 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (Alfred_B, 2_Tall_Mitchell, Arob, 4WD, 77GrandPrix, Alex38, 9 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 41 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,028
Posts5,285,155
Members71,566
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 5
Handheld blower recommendation #5229218 10/03/19 09:58 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
H
Huie83 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
I've been stringing along my 8 year old Poulan Pro ppbv25 for a few years. It finally became so hard to start I've given up. It was actually a great blower for the money, albeit heavy and hard to start sometimes. I have to have at least 5-600 hours on it over those years. I use it mainly in the fall to clean up the laves from the 5 big trees on my property and clean the gutters a few times a year.

Last year I purchased a Stihl BG-86CE in the fall when the Poulan started having real issues. I sold it to my neighbor for almost what I got it for after using it for a bit. For how much it cost, I just wasn't impressed with its long warm up times for full power as well as its power once up to full power.

SO, now i'm on the hunt again. my requirements are:

- Ideally Intake on the right side as I'm a righty and can't stand when my pants etc get sucked into the intake. Hated that on my Poulan.
- Cost isn't a huge factor but maybe in/under the $200-250 range.
- No vacuum function needed, I don't think they ever work well.
- Gas powered, takes a hour or two in the fall every weekend to get all the leaves together.

Let the experiences fly!

Last edited by Huie83; 10/03/19 10:08 AM.
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229222 10/03/19 10:04 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,403
J
JC1 Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,403
Did you want a gas blower or what about battery power?

I had a blower attachment to my 2 stroke Ryobi weed wacker. Got tired of pulling that cord all the time to get it to start.

Got rid of all that and went with a Dewalt Cordless trimmer and blower.

I don't have a huge yard so it works for me.


2015 Grand Caravan SXT Plus 0w-20 Pennzoil Ultra/Fram Ultra Filter
1997 Honda Civic CX 5w-30 PPPP/Fram Ultra Filter
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229224 10/03/19 10:06 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 577
C
Cressida Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 577
I've been using Echo for the past decade and they seem to get good reviews. Mine starts with a few pushes of the primer bulb and after 20 seconds idle it's ready to go.

Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229226 10/03/19 10:09 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
H
Huie83 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
Updated the requirements to gas powered. I love Echo equipment, my chainsaw and weed wacker are Echo. Unfortunately all the Echo blowers have the intake on the left which I don't care for.


Last edited by Huie83; 10/03/19 10:26 AM.
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229231 10/03/19 10:19 AM
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 196
E
earthbound Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 196
I really like my echo 2620 but it is left side intake and yeah that's somewhat of an annoyance. had a stihl bg56 and that things a joke power wise and same price as echo...tell you what thou the echo starts wonderfully....

Last edited by earthbound; 10/03/19 10:19 AM.

19' Honda Crv 1.5T
19' Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
06' Pontiac/yoda Vibe
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229248 10/03/19 10:38 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,679
J
JTK Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,679
For an excellent low cost leaf blower, I would recommend a Hitachi 2-stroke. When my old Echo PB2000 locked up, I mail-ordered one of these Hitachis for under $100 shipped. It was a refurb, but I couldn't tell that it was. It has a lot more power than my Echo had.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-RB24...eaf+blower&qid=1570116937&sr=8-6


2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV
2017 Ram 1500 4x4, 3.6L.
2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 S
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: JTK] #5229264 10/03/19 10:50 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
H
Huie83 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by JTK
For an excellent low cost leaf blower, I would recommend a Hitachi 2-stroke. When my old Echo PB2000 locked up, I mail-ordered one of these Hitachis for under $100 shipped. It was a refurb, but I couldn't tell that it was. It has a lot more power than my Echo had.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-RB24...eaf+blower&qid=1570116937&sr=8-6


Thanks, that is on my list. It seems like a excellent blower, the big downside is the intake is also on the left side.

Anyone have experience with the Husqvarna 125B or the 525bx? The BX seems a bit overkill... The reviews are VERY mixed on the 125B, lots of fueling issues it seems but I don't know if they are using the correct fuel etc.

Last edited by Huie83; 10/03/19 10:57 AM.
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229271 10/03/19 10:56 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,679
J
JTK Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,679
Originally Posted by Huie83

Thanks, That is on my list. It seems like a excellent blower, the big downside is the intake is also on the left side.


Hold it with your left hand?

Seriously though, you'll love the Hitachi in terms of ergonomics compared to the poulan. I have an old Homelite blower that I keep as a back up. It's like hanging on to an anvil compared to the powerful Hitachi.


2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV
2017 Ram 1500 4x4, 3.6L.
2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 S
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229273 10/03/19 10:57 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,618
C
Char Baby Offline
Offline
C
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,618
The money difference between a good name brand blower(Hitachi, Stihl or ECHO) and a not so good brand(Craftsman, Ryobi or BigBoxStore) is actually quite small.


Retired 6 yrs now & lovin' it
-----------------------------------

'80 Firebird FORMULA V8/4bbl-purchased "NEW"
'15 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
'15 Honda Civic 1.8 LX
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: JTK] #5229280 10/03/19 11:07 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
H
Huie83 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Huie83

Thanks, That is on my list. It seems like a excellent blower, the big downside is the intake is also on the left side.


Hold it with your left hand?

Seriously though, you'll love the Hitachi in terms of ergonomics compared to the poulan. I have an old Homelite blower that I keep as a back up. It's like hanging on to an anvil compared to the powerful Hitachi.


I probably could deal with a left side intake again I did for years smile , i'd just rather not if I have the choice. Using it to clean my gutters I feel more comfortable balance wise up on the roof using my right hand.

Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229305 10/03/19 11:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 17
B
Bryce Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by Huie83
Originally Posted by JTK
For an excellent low cost leaf blower, I would recommend a Hitachi 2-stroke. When my old Echo PB2000 locked up, I mail-ordered one of these Hitachis for under $100 shipped. It was a refurb, but I couldn't tell that it was. It has a lot more power than my Echo had.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-RB24...eaf+blower&qid=1570116937&sr=8-6


Thanks, that is on my list. It seems like a excellent blower, the big downside is the intake is also on the left side.

Anyone have experience with the Husqvarna 125B or the 525bx? The BX seems a bit overkill... The reviews are VERY mixed on the 125B, lots of fueling issues it seems but I don't know if they are using the correct fuel etc.


Another vote for the Hitachi. I bought one in August 2014 (from Amazon) and haven't had any issues with it. It gets used heavily in the fall, and sits most of the winter. Mild use the rest of the year.

I'm right handed too and hold it in my right hand. Never had my pants sucked into it, maybe I hold it different than you?

Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229306 10/03/19 11:36 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,115
G
gman2304 Online Content
Online Content
G
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,115
Echo! The Echo has a 5 year warranty. I’m constantly switching hands so the left side intake doesn’t bother me. My 20 year old Echo blower and trimmer usually start on the first or second pull.

Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229361 10/03/19 12:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,451
D
Donald Online Content
Online Content
D
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,451
Originally Posted by Huie83
I've been stringing along my 8 year old Poulan Pro ppbv25 for a few years. It finally became so hard to start I've given up. It was actually a great blower for the money, albeit heavy and hard to start sometimes. I have to have at least 5-600 hours on it over those years. I use it mainly in the fall to clean up the laves from the 5 big trees on my property and clean the gutters a few times a year.

Last year I purchased a Stihl BG-86CE in the fall when the Poulan started having real issues. I sold it to my neighbor for almost what I got it for after using it for a bit. For how much it cost, I just wasn't impressed with its long warm up times for full power as well as its power once up to full power.

SO, now i'm on the hunt again. my requirements are:

- Ideally Intake on the right side as I'm a righty and can't stand when my pants etc get sucked into the intake. Hated that on my Poulan.
- Cost isn't a huge factor but maybe in/under the $200-250 range.
- No vacuum function needed, I don't think they ever work well.
- Gas powered, takes a hour or two in the fall every weekend to get all the leaves together.

Let the experiences fly!


I would go for a cordless handheld or a gas backpack blower?


2015 Ford F-250 w/Powerstroke
2016 Subaru Crosstrek CVT (wife's)
Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229486 10/03/19 03:00 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,776
S
skyactiv Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,776
If it takes an hour or two as the OP stated, I highly recommend a backpack blower. Seriously.


Wife: 15' Audi A4 quattro 6 speed manual
Me: 18' Elantra Sport 6 speed manual
The rude guy that points out reality


Re: Handheld blower recommendation [Re: Huie83] #5229649 10/03/19 06:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,451
D
Donald Online Content
Online Content
D
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 24,451
I am not sure exactly what you are doing with leaves but more and more people are mulching their leaves onto their lawns. It gets rid of leaves and puts the nutrients back into the lawn soil. I even blow the leaves from flower beds back onto the lawn and chop them up.


2015 Ford F-250 w/Powerstroke
2016 Subaru Crosstrek CVT (wife's)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™