Input on upgrading backpack blower

I have a 13 yo Husqvarna /Redmax 150bt blower and I looking to get recommendations for a new blower with more power. The Husky has been pretty good over the years, pretty sure these aren't Redmax blowers anymore. I would like the weight around 24 -25 lbs. Anyone with experience with Husqvarna 360BT, Husqvarna 570BTS, Echo PB-580T or Echo PB-755ST ?

Last edited:
I have an Echo PB-620ST, which is basically an older version of the PB-580T and love it. Starts very easy, good on fuel, good power to weight ratio. If you really have a ton of leaves and a large area to do I'd go with the PB-755ST for a bit more power and only a little heavier.

You are going to want a blower with >230 mph at the (standard tip) nozzle outlet with at least 650 cfm of volumetric airflow. Anything in this range will be noticeably more powerful than your current 150BT. You should be more than happy with the ECHO PB-755ST or the Husky 570BTS, so pick the one that feels best on your back or has the best local dealer support in your area.

Aren't these gonna be banned in a few years?
The EPA has been threatening to ban all 2-cycle OPE for the past 15 years. The only real threat is if your municipality bans gas powered blowers due to noise pollution issues. This has happened in certain "Gucci" neighborhoods due to the political influence of the wealthy and connected aristocrats. I would venture to say a wholesale ban in the U.S. within our lifetime is as likely as a complete ban on ICE vehicles.

The EPA has been threatening to ban all 2-cycle OPE for the past 15 years. The only real threat is if your municipality bans gas powered blowers due to noise pollution issues. This has happened in certain "Gucci" neighborhoods due to the political influence of the wealthy and connected aristocrats. I would venture to say a wholesale ban in the U.S. within our lifetime is as likely as a complete ban on ICE vehicles.
I would also venture a guess that the SALE of them would be banned and they would just fizzle out of service and have a lack of parts for anyone wanting to repair them.

Have a BR600 that I've had for many many years, never a single issue with it, one of the best purchases I've ever made. It meets your specs and weighs 3 Lbs less than you listed.

Close by support if needed brand. Fits comfortably, starts easy. Go big or go home.

I don't think I ever heard someone say "I wish I got the smaller less powerful one". I have the Echo PB 770H for my 1/2 acre with lots of trees around. Sometimes it would be nice to have more but it's much better than my small Stihl handheld one I have and used prior. Stihl use the small one for a quick sidewalk but that's about it. I'd also go to regular shop not big box store. Mine came with like a 5 year residential warranty if I bought the Echo 2 cycle at the same time.

I would also venture a guess that the SALE of them would be banned and they would just fizzle out of service and have a lack of parts for anyone wanting to repair them.
It's one reason I will no longer purchase any Stihl equipment. They are making them harder to repair, parts are only available through certified dealers, and the dealers know this judging by their prices. The last Stihl chainsaw I repaired for a coworker needed an ignition coil, at the price they wanted for the coil it was obvious they just wanted you to buy a new saw. The 4-mix Stihl engines are the worst, and I no longer work on them.

It's one reason I will no longer purchase any Stihl equipment. They are making them harder to repair, parts are only available through certified dealers, and the dealers know this judging by their prices. The last Stihl chainsaw I repaired for a coworker needed an ignition coil, at the price they wanted for the coil it was obvious they just wanted you to buy a new saw. The 4-mix Stihl engines are the worst, and I no longer work on them.

Are you speaking of Stihl OEM parts in particular?

I realize you have a lot more small engine repair experience than most the rest of us, but when I recently looked for parts to fix an aging Stihl string trimmer, parts were all over the place. Multiple brand names, offering everything from cheap Asian stuff, to parts from reputable brands.

I bought an echo pb-9010. It's the biggest blower they sell. It's great. It is a bit heavy at 25lbs. But it saves so much time. I love it.
IMG_20230722_130601031_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230722_130620640_HDR.jpg

Are you speaking of Stihl OEM parts in particular?

I realize you have a lot more small engine repair experience than most the rest of us, but when I recently looked for parts to fix an aging Stihl string trimmer, parts were all over the place. Multiple brand names, offering everything from cheap Asian stuff, to parts from reputable brands.
Most of the available parts for Stihls online are cheap Chinese Amazon junk, and the OEM is dealer only except for the rare find on ebay. Years ago you could find Stihl parts online from some stores, but now everything has changed to be dealer only. Some dealers are great for buying parts, but many are really not interested in selling parts to the public, only repairing machines for customers and selling new machines.

I've also had a few bad experiences trying to assist customers with Stihl warranty claims and their customer service was some of the worst I've seen, so I steer clear of them and advise others to do the same. They used to make great equipment, but now it seems they are not worth it for the price and are relying on their reputation. I have a family member who is a huge Stihl fan, his saws and 4-mix engines always have issues, and he keeps buying them and talks about how great they are. Seems some people are so brand loyal they see through the issues they have. 🤷‍♂️

I have a neighbor with a small yard - just a two car drive - but has a big zero turn that sounds like a Sikorsky - and a two stroke leaf blower for that tiny driveway …

I bought my first leaf blower, the lowest end M18 Milwaukee. I handed it to the wife once and she hasn’t returned it.

I have a 13 yo Husqvarna /Redmax 150bt blower and I looking to get recommendations for a new blower with more power. The Husky has been pretty good over the years, pretty sure these aren't Redmax blowers anymore. I would like the weight around 24 -25 lbs. Anyone with experience with Husqvarna 360BT, Husqvarna 570BTS, Echo PB-580T or Echo PB-755ST ?
edge10:
I would opt for the Echo PB-9010H and not the T. The T has the tube mounted throttle and the wires will break from all the back and fourth of the tube right after warranty for home, and about at the 1 year mark for commercial. The H model has a super heavy duty throttle on your left, and frankly would will just set and forget anyways.

If you buy this echo, its so awsome you wont be able to use anything else.

Back