Supertech Dexron/Mercon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is using this and what are your opinions. I can get this for $5.72 for a 4 quart jug. It so happens my refill capacity after a drain is listed at 4quarts.
dunno.gif

What is the ATF going in?

SuperTech DexIII is approved for GM transmissions requiring DexIII.

I used it for two drain/refills in a '95 K1500/ 4l60e trans.

It had never been serviced before and had 160k+ miles on the original fluid.

After the 2nd drian/refill, I added 15oz of LubeGuard "Red".

The trans shifts just fine, even under heavy 4x4 action at the beach.

I will use it again for another drain/refill this spring.

It is for a 1993 Oldsmobile with a 3T40 trans aka TH125. The manual specs dexron IIE. Based on my research DEXIII is backward compatible to the IIE. I will be installing a drain plug when I drop the pan, so I figure with the cheaper fluid I can drain and refill more often.

I don't want to add in a cooler, so the theory here is to do a change twice a year - before and after summer.

Back when I had my 00 Camry I used it for a couple of drain and refills. The tranny didn't like it, there occasionally was a hesitation in the 1-2 shift. I drained out the Supertech and replaced it with Pennzoil and never experienced any hesitation with it.

iontrap, I thought Toyota's had their own spec for ATF, like how Mitsu has their SPIII fluid.

Do Toyota's use DexronIII?

MC5w20, IMO, ST would be a good ATF for your application, especially for bi-annual drain/refills.

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
Who is using this and what are your opinions. I can get this for $5.72 for a 4 quart jug. It so happens my refill capacity after a drain is listed at 4quarts.
dunno.gif

It meets spec, nothing more nothing less. I have used it with no problems over the years in both a Toyota Corolla and a KIA sportage that specs a DEX III type fluid.

Hootbro

I use it in 99 Camry and 2000 Avalon, drain and refill every other oil change. Cars run smoothly. Can't beat the price. It went from $4 to $5 a gallon.

Now I'm looking at their supertech 5w30 synthetic oil 5 qt jug for $12.

quote:

Originally posted by iontrap:
Back when I had my 00 Camry I used it for a couple of drain and refills. The tranny didn't like it, there occasionally was a hesitation in the 1-2 shift. I drained out the Supertech and replaced it with Pennzoil and never experienced any hesitation with it.

Back when you used the Supertech Dexron-III/Mercon it was the Dexron-III(G). The current version of Supertech Dexron-III/Mercon sold on the shelves today is the Dexron-III(H), which is significantly improved over the Dexron-III(G).

"H" designation is the latest revision for the now obsolete Dexron-III spec. It involved significant upgrades compared to Dexron-III(G). The "H" spec launched more than 18 months ago so all Dexron-III on the shelves currently should be H-spec. Supertech ATF was H-spec the last time I checked.

As of 1/1/06, Dexron-III has been replaced with Dexron-VI, which is a lower viscosity fluid with further "enhancements" over Dexron-IIIH.

Guess ignorance is Bliss!! Been earning my daily bread underneath cars since 1970, and here I've allways thought ALL that red stuff met the same specifications! I guess out of the goodness of their hearts large oil corps like Penz, Texaco,Exxon, etc. use additional additives at no extra cost just to make our lives better and more trouble free?

Bob

quote:

here I've allways thought ALL that red stuff met the same specifications!

shocked.gif

What ATF do you use at your shop?
gr_eek2.gif
I sure hope you don't Dexron-IIIH/Mercon into those Fords, Chryslers, Hondas, and Toyotas you service!

quote:

Originally posted by Micheal Wan
Back when you used the Supertech Dexron-III/Mercon it was the Dexron-III(G). The current version of Supertech Dexron-III/Mercon sold on the shelves today is the Dexron-III(H), which is significantly improved over the Dexron-III(G).

Micheal,

I never knew there were different ratings for Dexron/Mercon. Is the "H" designation for the Dexron III something new for all Dexron III fluids? What has been done to make it superior to the "G"? I just looked at the back of my brand new Supertech Dexron III and it states nothing about "H" designation, just that it's good for all GM apps and Ford not using Mercon V. Thanks.

Michael,

Guess I overgeneralized a bit there! I meant in each ATF oil spec group they are gonna be pretty much the same.

Anymore we keep dex/merc, Merc syn., and 2 Mopar. No brand loyalty, as long as it's from a major brand.

Bob

OK, I bought the supertech and I'm gonna drop the pan tonight. I am going to take pics of the drain plug installation. Will make a separate thread for you guys to observe the method I use. I'm gonna have a nut welded to the pan instead of the store bought plug kit.

I've been using it in my beater 94 Taurus with the AX4N tranny and it shifts super smooth for 130K miles. I've also used it in my aunt's 91 Corolla that calls for DEX II. Works fine and is a great value for what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back