Should I use this oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just received an oil filter that I ordered online. It was shipped inside an envelope. When I opened the envelope, the filter had apparently gotten out of its package and was loose inside the envelope. It appears to have gotten loose during shipping it seems, not sure.

I'm just curious if you guys think it's OK to use this filter. I'm thinking it probably is because I did not see anything wrong with it just by looking at it. Then again I'm not very knowledgeable so I can't really be certain. Thanks.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Post a picture.

Sure, thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If its not dented I wouldn't give it a second thought, they can handle vibration and bouncing around. Small dings are usually not an issue but not knowing it something get hit inside I rather err on the side of caution and not use it if it has a real dent in it.

Sounds good to me; I will use it. I wonder why companies don't seal up their packages. Even in stores most are unsealed. I guess they have their reasons.

Thanks everyone.

Must have gotten it from Amazon. Huge box, 3 pieces of bubble wrap floating around and my coat hangers all over the place. LOL

I guess it depends on how the person packing feels that day.

Filter looks fine to me. As long as the metal body ain't dented.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Must have gotten it from Amazon. Huge box, 3 pieces of bubble wrap floating around and my coat hangers all over the place. LOL

I guess it depends on how the person packing feels that day.

Filter looks fine to me. As long as the metal body ain't dented.

Heh, sure did. The way it was packaged it was bound to come loose because there was nothing to prevent it from shifting around. Maybe a bit of those foam pieces would have done the job at keeping it in one place.

The filter has no dents and looks really good.

Last edited:
Amazon has been spot on giving me refunds for damaged goods, leaking bottles, etc. I am a "Prime Member.' WOOOOoooOOOOOooo....

banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
Amazon has been spot on giving me refunds for damaged goods, leaking bottles, etc. I am a "Prime Member.' WOOOOoooOOOOOooo....

banana2.gif

Yeah Amazon has been great at customer service I must say. When I mentioned to them at the box was damaged and the item came loose, they even sent me another filter and apparently I don't have to return this one. I now kind of feel ashamed for mentioning it to them. I did that before this thread so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad?
blush.gif

Since it wasn't boxed with padding like most people would package something, you'll never know if it survived the parcel crushing machinery at the U.S. Postal Service without any internal damage..

Cartridge filter may not have survived that ordeal. Your canister filter looks fine. If it has no dents and no rattle noises from loose internals, use it with confidence.

Sitting in a store in a box would be just as bad. It looks fine, use it. Check the louvers. I estimate Amazon loses at least $5 to get something like this to people. I ordered quite a lot of low cost items, it costs them more to ship it. Not happy with them though, a $22 garbage disposer switch is already 10 days late from expected date, and they weren't helpful. My time talking was already worth more. It was shipped right away but went to the opposite side of the country by ups now it has to come back. Getting fed up with them. There isn't much can do against them.

Prefer to order from wm and pick it up or if they send it wrong or damaged it can go back to the store.

Originally Posted by Nav45
Sounds good to me; I will use it. I wonder why companies don't seal up their packages. Even in stores most are unsealed. I guess they have their reasons.

Thanks everyone.

I bought 2 air filters once. They showed up with no boxes. Just 2 air filters taped together with a shipping label stuck on one. Ya they were smashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back