Re-packaged Prestone Dexcool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the new Prestone Dexcool jug for all you Prestone fans.

698221FC-C106-425A-98D7-AF400B98A0D7.jpeg

I'm thinking there is a movement going on by the manufacturers to just drain the rad every five or 10 years and just pour in 50/50. No flush for the block. Good enough for the original owner?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'm thinking there is a movement going on by the manufacturers to just drain the rad every five or 10 years and just pour in 50/50. No flush for the block. Good enough for the original owner?

If they give us decent drain points then I'm fine with this method. Flushing out engine blocks and trying to get a correct mixture is a big freaking mess. I'd rather D&F a gallon or two of premix every 5 years and have extra time to do things I enjoy.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't they have full strength? I wouldn't pay for half a gallon of water.

i only pay 1$ more for full strength

50/50 is for the lazy people

i prefer to run 70/30 you can run it higher and lower temperature( plus it gives you some leeway later if you need to add water later on)

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

50/50 is for the lazy people

Premix may not be right for you but not everybody who uses premix is "lazy"...some people have hard water and just don't want to mess around with jugs of DI. I'm on well myself and the water is super hard...if I wasn't such a tightwad I'd use pre mix..in fact whenever I go on a long road trip I throw a gallon of premix in the back just in case.

Compared to the old label, looks like the most prominent change is the addition of skull and crossbones. Wonder if that's a Canadian thing? WalMart online jug in US not showing one.

As for concentrate vs premix discussion, making no judgements about those using premix, given the option with a significant cost advantage I'll always use a concentrate. Convenience not worth price premium for me. Distilled water is cheap. Not to mention if complete system flush desired, easily doable with concentrate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone...dhcW55AIVBJ-fCh0r8w7iEAQYASABEgJE4_D_BwE

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

The ten year interval is ONLY for the first coolant change. If you just do a drain and refill you are leaving half of the 10 year old coolant in the system so the interval drops to something like 3 years. Doing a proper flush with distilled water allows you to go back to a 10 year interval. Who knows if leaving ANY 10 year old coolant behind is harmful or not? The car maker doesn't care as it's already well past the warranty.

100% what I do . I can buy a gallon of RO water at Water Mill Express for $ .25 .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

100% what I do . I can buy a gallon of RO water at Water Mill Express for $ .25 .

What's RO water? Distilled around here is $1.05.

I think the manufacturers are trying to get away from people using tap or well water (like I used to do). Then I went to buying and mixing distilled water and anti-freeze 50/50. What a mess! Now I buy the pre-diluted because it's easy, simple and I'm lazy!

^^^^ At least you're being honest. I've mixed concentrate with distilled many times over my life, no issues at all. I common funnel avoids any spill issues.

And while the manufacturers may use the tap water excuse, idk, imo the main reason for premix....profit motive. Pure and simple.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

What's RO water? Distilled around here is $1.05.

Reverse Osmosis process, which some claim is better than just distilled water (supposedly less electrical charge, or something like that).

IF I knew that this is what all of these manufacturers actually used in their 50/50 mixes, I would consider using them over a 100% coolant and distilled mix.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I think the manufacturers are trying to get away from people using tap or well water (like I used to do). Then I went to buying and mixing distilled water and anti-freeze 50/50. What a mess! Now I buy the pre-diluted because it's easy, simple and I'm lazy!

+1 That is quite true, eg some places in Germany have water so hard the kettles and coffee machines need to be cleaned with a acid solution every few weeks. Used in a engine the radiator and heater core are toast in no time ditto a battery and you cant get it out once its solidified. I am sure there are places in every country with the same sort of problem.

I buy a $1 gallon of distilled water at the same time from Walmart. Now I have 2 gal premix for $2 more.

The thing I wonder...what type of water do they use in premix? Do we assume its distilled or reverse osmosis? Do they tell us that? And do we believe it? I really don't know...I probably should take a look at the back of a premix bottle.

The other thing (regarding dexcool). Is Prestone the makers of dexcool for GM? Are they the main suppliers of it? I realize that dexcool is popular and you can find it almost anywhere, and that almost every parts store carries some version of it, but is Preston considered "the best"?

I have some Napa orange in my garage, it's for GM vehicles. I've never really given it any thought as to...is this good stuff, or is this even the right stuff. I always just assumed it was dexcool. I know Carquest makes something dexcool related...think Walmart/Super Tech does too. Does it matter? I suppose I can just go to the dealer and buy whatever they are selling, I'd usually do that when it comes to coolant, but dexcool seems so widely market that I never considered going to the dealer for OE coolant.

Dexcool is a spec, if it meets the spec it is fine no matter who makes it unless some sleeze is knocking it off. The original manufacturer for dexcool was Texaco IIRC.

Originally Posted by Trav
Dexcool is a spec, if it meets the spec it is fine no matter who makes it unless some sleeze is knocking it off. The original manufacturer for dexcool was Texaco IIRC.

Great, thank you.

I'm always a little Leary when things are made to spec, was burned by it once with Dex lV...forget what company it was, but it was a green bottle. They were sued because it wasn't made to spec, despite them claiming it was. I changed that fluid out and bought another "made to spec" fluid from Carquest...hopefully that one was made to spec.

But with coolant I'm not overly concerned, good to know there is many companies that make and carry dexcool. I usually go OE when buying coolant - figure you'll only pay a little more and it's a fluid that will be in there a long long time - but at the dealer dexcool is $26 a gallon for 50/50...at Walmart and everywhere else it's $13 for 100% coolant. I'm going to need two gallons...$52 vs $13? I'm not going to the dealer.

Originally Posted by Railrust
but at the dealer dexcool is $26 a gallon for 50/50...

Maybe find another dealer. I paid $11 for 100% a few month ago by the the case. Didn't know AC Delco Dexcool came in 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back