best manual trans fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of your guys favorite manual transmission lubricants? Not looking for any car in particular but just some ideas.

There is no such thing as "dedicated" manual trans fluid as most will take different fluids. Some take GL4 gear oil, ATF, synchromesh, or a host of other selections. So without knowing the transmission no one can tell you.

For example I have a muncie in my Chevy. So I used whatever GL4 gear oil I can find.

My 13 GT500 is well known for having a "notchy" 2nd gear shift. it didn't bother me but the Wife complained about the shift (Yes, she can/does drive it more than me). On the advise of fellow 500 owners, I changed out the fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax. I noticed an immediate significant improvement but I didn't tell the Wife that I switched out the fluid, when she got home after driving it for the first time following the switch she said "What did you do to Shelby? The shift is sooo much better now"

generally Redline makes the best lubes, at a price of course! call them + talk to a real person or check their web then look for the best pricing!

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
for this i'm looking for dedicated MTFs

Letting us know the vehicle would really help.

That said, I've used Amsoil and their gear oils are very good, as are Mobil, Valvoline, Schaeffer, Castrol....

The shifting was getting balky and noisy on my Honda Fit mt with about 15K on the odo .

When I did a honda fluid drain and fill, it was as good or better than new and worked great.

But I hear that it may only last a year depending on miles and driving style.

Some cars use 10w30 HD motor oil in the trans.

What determines the lubrication requirements are the synchronizers, so this will vary from transmission to transmission unless they have the same synchronizers with the same requirements.

I'm using Amsoil MTF in my civic 1.5T 6MT hatchback with a great success and can highly recommend it for this application

In general, you can select the oil on your own. The only important thing here is the GL rating. You can play with the viscosity. Ideally the viscosity should allow you to drive comfortably in the winter. So it is also a climate dependent decision, In one of my cars I run a 80W-90 oil in place of a 75W-80. In another car I run a 75W-80 in place of the recommended 75W-90. The 75W-90 simply makes the car undrivable in the winter.

Almost for sure it will need GL-4... NOT GL-5, or a GL-4 / GL-5 dual rating. The extra sulphur in anything that mentions GL-5 does-in the synchro's faster. Exception may be a Subie... which I believe combines the need for GL-5 for the sliding friction of the worm gear(s) ....? with the need for GL-4 for the synchro's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Almost for sure it will need GL-4... NOT GL-5, or a GL-4 / GL-5 dual rating. The extra sulphur in anything that mentions GL-5 does-in the synchro's faster. Exception may be a Subie... which I believe combines the need for GL-5 for the sliding friction of the worm gear(s) ....? with the need for GL-4 for the synchro's.

Interesting, I wonder when the ones in my ECHO will fail?

Oh, BTW, view this: https://imgur.com/a/gigdw

What this says is that making it shift like butter actually may result in less gear face or anti-friction bearing (rolling-element bearing) life expectancy. Usually, thinner / lower viscosity makes shifting smoother at the expense of the other components.

Last edited:
Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS
It is a true PAO synthetic made in Germany and a favorite with Miata owners.
I have had Motorcraft fluid in my GTI well over 100K and it's excellent.
I was able to buy it cheaper at a Ford dealer after being disappointed what Amazon charges for it. I did ask the parts guy if he could give me a better price and he helped me out.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XT-M5-QS-Synthetic-Transmission/dp/B000NUES82

$16 and change plus shipping for XT-M5-QS at Rock Auto...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/motorcraft,XTM5QS,transmission+fluid,13630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back