what type of oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is maybe a dumb question...but i currently have 5w20 in the car if i top off w 5w30 does it make 5w30 less effective or dilute its thickness for lack of a better term?

Ok so maybe it a dumb question
laugh.gif

Ok, i chaged the pcv (old was filthy) changed the plugs..(not too bad but needed changing per mechanic) and air filter,(need it) and he topped off with 5w30..and we will keep monitoring...

Originally Posted by john_chicago
Ok, i chaged the pcv (old was filthy) changed the plugs..(not too bad but needed changing per mechanic) and air filter,(need it) and he topped off with 5w30..and we will keep monitoring...

Good for you! Forgot to mention the PCV. Caused my oil consumption once.

As many others have said you can step up to a 30wt. Hyundai allows a wide range of viscosities to be used.

I would personally use QSUD 5w30 or Edge 5w30.

1qt in 3k isn't much to worry about, so I wouldn't get too worried. Just top it up every 1k miles or so until it's time to change the oil.

Unless there's an undetected leak I don't think your engine should be using oil at 85k. I would check pcv then use an engine flush treatment and after that a steady diet of 5w30 synthetic of your choice.

just had the oil changed ....went to 5w20 high mileage ...was going to use blend , but all he had was full synthetic...

so i had used a little over a qt of 5w20 between changes....not bad...let see how hm synthetic does......he used napa full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back