To be Honest, Thinking of Selling Motorcycle and Quitting Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the right answer was to start riding again.

This is what I was riding....... exactly one year ago from last Friday.

[Linked Image]

This was me, the Friday before Memorial Day, 2018........ I took a dive. No witnesses.... I was in the country, ran off the road and hit a set of cattle pens. Most think I was evading an animal, but I don't know, as I lost three days of memory.

3 days in ICU, Broken Neck, Broken Back, 5 Broken Ribs and Tore up Left Knee.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had a lot of this for three months.......

[Linked Image]

Now to the OP.... I have gone through everything you have, mentally. It took me 6 months to throw a leg over a bike. My head was on a swivel and I was paranoid. I was in genuine fear.

Now... I love, love, love motorcycle riding. As the wife says.... "it is just part of you John". If you don't ride, she said..... "we've all lost part of you". I truly lost my MOJO.

At the time of the accident, I owned 8 motorcycles. I am now down to 4..... with one still for sale.

I did start riding again about a month ago. After doing some day rides, the wife said.... "Wow, I never realized how much riding again would affect you in such a positive way. Your becoming yourself again." Well, I have progressed quickly with my riding. This past weekend, as a part of my 1 yr anniversary, the wife and I did a 2-up weekend ride. Three days and nearly 800 miles around CO/Northern NM, helped me remember why I ride. Riding is my escape....

I'm back in the saddle and already talking about a run to Deadhorse and back next summer!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
If you are doubting yourself, best advice is to listen. Maybe get a convertible and that way she will ride along with you... and you can still enjoy wind therapy to a certain extent. My best to you.

BigJohn, Glad to know you have recovered. You're obviously passionate about your hobby and have a very supportive wife. Not many riders could bounce back from an accident like that and get back into the saddle again. Your VFR reminds me of my old 2008 Suzuki 1000 Vstrom. Which IBA ride did you do?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
BigJohn, Glad to know you have recovered. You're obviously passionate about your hobby and have a very supportive wife. Not many riders could bounce back from an accident like that and get back into the saddle again. Your VFR reminds me of my old 2008 Suzuki 1000 Vstrom. Which IBA ride did you do?

Yeah... I started my adventure riding life on a Vstrom back in '07.... but of the Wee variety. Put 50k on that bike, running some wild stuff......

Its really been a riding adventure for me on many bikes and I have loved every minute of it.

To answer you question... my first IBA was the Colorado Classic on a 2004 R1150RT..... That 1000+ miles is a tough one, as many of the roads are 45mph through the Colorado mountains. Of course the ride isn't a race, but I plugged along, staying in the saddle.... and finished #2. Then to add to the ride.... I rode another 140 miles home, as my daughter and grand babies came for a visit. Got home right at midnight.... nodding off in the saddle for a total of 1167 miles that day. God that last 140 miles were the toughest I have ever ridden in my life!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Those guys that only ride with other Harleys should all go to a tattoo shop and line up to have an "L" tattooed on their foreheads. What a bunch of losers.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
Those guys that only ride with other Harleys should all go to a tattoo shop and line up to have an "L" tattooed on their foreheads. What a bunch of losers.

What about when PCA NC does a track day or a Deals Gap meet?

Should we have the same "L" because we're not inclusive of other makes?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Urshurak776

What about when PCA NC does a track day or a Deals Gap meet?

Should we have the same "L" because we're not inclusive of other makes?

No, I was referring to the attitude more than anything. No comparison at all to what you are doing with those meet ups.

But, we can spot check:

If a couple guys/gals on a Harley/Other bike manufacturer rolled up to the Deals Gap meet, would they be shunned/asked to leave?

Or, more specifically, you and I are both in NC. I ride a Harley (and drive a Ford Fusion...work vehicle), can I come with you to the next track day / meet-up? Would anyone in your circle be upset if you brought me? I certainly don't drive a Porsche.

I see your posts on here all the time and you have never been anything but helpful to people, so I doubt what I was referring to applies to you, or anyone you would hang out with for that matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
LoneRanger said:
I don't get why everyone who rides a Harley dresses like a pirate

I think it's both cultural and functional. I'm a dirt bike rider, so I dress like one when I ride. Not because I want to look like other dirt bike riders, but because the choice of dress works well for that type of riding. I have ridden my dirt bike in a suit more than once though.

Leather does not flap in the wind, for example. Yet dirt bike garb does. I hate riding on the highway with flappy shirts.

Maybe take a break, still keeping the bike if you like it. See how you feel after 6 months or a season. If you feel the same, time to sell. It's scary to ride once confidence or a healthy respect and alertness are missing.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by bigal51
"As far as those Harley guys that don't ride with other makes, they are all posers and were never about the riding." Gee, a butt-hurt Metric rider calling me a poser. Ya want some cheese with your whine?

Congratulations on confirming yourself to be a poser. Only people I *ever* hear call other brands "metrics" are the poser crowd. Maybe go put your doo rag on and stand at a mirror admiring how harsh you're going to look out on the streets.

I don't get why everyone who rides a Harley dresses like a pirate...talk about a poser...

Clearly the people who make fun of Harley "people" have some kind of inferiority complex.
They always seems to knock, discount, make fun of and generalize about Harley riders ... amazing ... people who have to comment negatively about other peoples "treasures" usually are not very happy with their lives.

I am a bit late to this thread, it here is my take. I have been riding for 41 years, I am 44 now. Yes, I count all the years in dirt bikes as well. I have never been in a wreck on a street motorcycle and I have been riding the streets since I was 14 and riding to school on a DR Suzuki.

I have also, never worn protective gear. I might wear a textile jacket or a leather jacket depending on the weather, or if I need pickets for cell phone etc. My riding gear in the summer consists of a t-shirt, jeans, and whatever shoes I have lying around. I wear the best helmet in the business, a full face Arai Corsair X.

Riding a motorcycle is not dangerous at all. If you are constantly on the lookout, behind you when you are riding and stopping, in front of you, to the sides, etc. No car of other vehicle will hit you.

If you have it in your mind that "everyone will wreck at some point", you have already succumbed to that thought, and yes you will wreck. You just chucked all your confidence out of the window.

I get pulled out on, stopped in front of, vehicles trying to tbone me at a red light trying to beat the yellow, almost daily. Yo known why that's never happened to me? I ALWAYS, look both ways before I go at a light. I ALWAYS look all around me at all times.

I also ride one of the fastest bikes ever built. A Kawasaki Ninja zx12r. Do I ride it like I am at the Isle of Man TT? No, I don't. Do I like to cruise in a straight line at 140 for a short while on a barren interstate? Yes I do. I don't ride the twisties trying to prove I am better than the guy behind me. Why don't I?

I love my bike and I cherish it. I would never push it to the edge of cornering and possibly wind up on the pavement.... It would crush me to be that stupid.

Don't buy or ride any motorcycle if you fear it before you get on it. It isn't for you.

OP, sell your bikes and enjoy your wife. Your times up.

I'm reminded of a guy that came out to a race school I was helping to instruct at. He stated he had something like 30 years of riding experience, and was only there because his wife had bought him the roadracing instruction classes as a gift. He was overly confident too. At the end of the day he said something to the effect of "I came here thinking I had 30 years of riding experience. Now I realize I had 1 year of riding experience, 30 times".

Situational awareness is great. Having no clue where any limits are, because you've never approached them, is not good. You've been lucky with your riding attire so far. One day when the unforeseen happens, you'll wish you had other riding gear to match that excellent Arai Corsair X helmet (I also use one).

This might come off as a bit harsh, but like the rider with "30 years of experience" you've got a lot to learn.

But what do I know, I've only roadraced, helped instruct at advanced riding and roadracing classes, and may have ridden past Kate's on the way down the road to the Creg at speed.

I also owned a ZX-12R back in the day.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by JPowell490
I am a bit late to this thread, it here is my take. I have been riding for 41 years, I am 44 now. Yes, I count all the years in dirt bikes as well. I have never been in a wreck on a street motorcycle and I have been riding the streets since I was 14 and riding to school on a DR Suzuki.

I have also, never worn protective gear. I might wear a textile jacket or a leather jacket depending on the weather, or if I need pickets for cell phone etc. My riding gear in the summer consists of a t-shirt, jeans, and whatever shoes I have lying around. I wear the best helmet in the business, a full face Arai Corsair X.

Riding a motorcycle is not dangerous at all. If you are constantly on the lookout, behind you when you are riding and stopping, in front of you, to the sides, etc. No car of other vehicle will hit you.

If you have it in your mind that "everyone will wreck at some point", you have already succumbed to that thought, and yes you will wreck. You just chucked all your confidence out of the window.

I get pulled out on, stopped in front of, vehicles trying to tbone me at a red light trying to beat the yellow, almost daily. Yo known why that's never happened to me? I ALWAYS, look both ways before I go at a light. I ALWAYS look all around me at all times.

I also ride one of the fastest bikes ever built. A Kawasaki Ninja zx12r. Do I ride it like I am at the Isle of Man TT? No, I don't. Do I like to cruise in a straight line at 140 for a short while on a barren interstate? Yes I do. I don't ride the twisties trying to prove I am better than the guy behind me. Why don't I?

I love my bike and I cherish it. I would never push it to the edge of cornering and possibly wind up on the pavement.... It would crush me to be that stupid.

Don't buy or ride any motorcycle if you fear it before you get on it. It isn't for you.

OP, sell your bikes and enjoy your wife. Your times up.

Everything you posted proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by quint
Oh man, your first reply was spot on, why did you change it?
lol.gif

Didn't want to earn a one week ban again ...
06.gif

Confidence is something you can't instill. You either have it or you don't. Contrary to your "expert" opinion, I held an AMA Pro license for years. Any idea what you have to verify to get that? Didn't think so.

You keep on with your leathers on 95 degree days. Ride the mountains like you are on the track. Keep thinking you are an expert.

Originally Posted by JPowell490
Confidence is something you can't instill. You either have it or you don't. Contrary to your "expert" opinion, I held an AMA Pro license for years. Any idea what you have to verify to get that? Didn't think so.

You keep on with your leathers on 95 degree days. Ride the mountains like you are on the track. Keep thinking you are an expert.

A lot of assumptions and denial.

Just an FYI, you clearly missed what the reference to "Kate's" and the "Creg" meant. And all it entails to actually do that...

Good luck in your T-shirt, jeans and Nike's.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Everything you posted proves you don't know what you're talking about.

OMG, everything he posted was what he "thought" and "felt." How on earth can he not talk about what he "thinks" and be wrong?

I'm not some lefty "hey you feel it, it's real" type at all. And I like my 150 spurts where I can find them. And riding in shorts and sneaks around town and feeling calm and comfy. And I've been riding since I was 7 non-stop so I I'd with him. But to tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about, that's just fascist. He DOES know what he's talking about. You just don't agree. How about you articulate those reasons instead of making a puerile ad hominem attack?

There is a latitude in a free society to have divergent views, and accept them. Our country could do with re-learning that value.

There are always going to be situations where even the most experienced and skilled rider can get blind sided. I've known guys who have ridden for decades that got into a bad situation because of idiot people behind the wheel that resulted in zero time to make a successful advacive maneuver. That's when you want to be wearing the right gear.

No different than driving a car without the seat belt on and the airbags disabled. All is fine as long as you don't crash or get into an accident caused by someone else on the road. Having "confidence" doesn't put a force field of protection around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back