Oil leak new 2018 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 after adding oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
GF bought new has less than 10k on it, one dealer oil change has been done. I havent had time to look under the car, but my gf car was showing a little low on the dipstick. Not sure how much to add I put in about a fourth a quart of oil 5w30. Now it seems like it is leaking pretty badly. There was oil spots under the car, and at work. Would there be some type of over flow? I dont see how this could start a leak. When I have time I'll look underneath and make sure the screws are all good. Moved the car to another location to read the levels and it looks to be at the high side now, but unsure how oil would leak or overflow like that.

Originally Posted by dippschtick
Check the oil filter.

and check the drain plug. On my Kia, the drain plug will weep a lot of oil if it is used with a conventional crush washer (below), even when torqued to >20 lb ft
[Linked Image]

The crush washers that have worked are like these, and are what I use now (below)
[Linked Image]

When the dealership changed factory fill on my 2017 Elantra I checked the oil level. They added 1/2 quart extra. It was a hassle to go back and I lost trust, so I have been changing it myself. They did good with oil filter and drain plug. Nothing leaking or too tight. I know one person who's drain plug was stripped by the dealership. Another one looked like they spilled oil when filling and had oil on a mount. Always good to check oil after changed and in between changes. Sometimes things just happen.

I check my oil stone cold level in the garage since new. Manual has a different procedure. You may need to measure at the same place, the same way to get an accurate reading.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
When the dealership changed factory fill on my 2017 Elantra I checked the oil level. They added 1/2 quart extra. It was a hassle to go back and I lost trust, so I have been changing it myself. They did good with oil filter and drain plug. Nothing leaking or too tight. I know one person who's drain plug was stripped by the dealership. Another one looked like they spilled oil when filling and had oil on a mount. Always good to check oil after changed and in between changes. Sometimes things just happen.

The extra 1/2 qt won't hurt a thing, and they did the rest of the job perfectly. That tech did a good job by today's standards. I'd go back and I don't trust shops in general.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN

The extra 1/2 qt won't hurt a thing, and they did the rest of the job perfectly. That tech did a good job by today's standards. I'd go back and I don't trust shops in general.

It was more than overfilling. With travel time it was over 2 hours to get the oil changed at dealership. I can do it in 15 minutes using better oil and for less money. My point is it does not matter who changes the oil. Checking for leaks or changes in level is something to do after it is changed. I drove it 1/2 quart over full for a while so I agree with your point.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Take it back to the dealer.

HMS

PimTac said it right
Take it back to the dealer
It's their problem to find and fix !

why go to the stealer when oil changes are so EZE. use OE filters as they are Mann-Hummel + your favorite spec 5-30 as i do or 10-30 in hotter climates or summers. i always use med blue loktite to seal the plug + reuse washers forever!

Last edited:
2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T and I changed the DCT fluid and about 8 months later I found a softball+ sized oil patch under it. It turned out to be a loose oil level port bolt that came loose. It is located in the back of the trans in the housing of the diff where the axle shafts come out. Make sure that is tight.

Originally Posted by benjy
why go to the stealer when oil changes are so EZE. use OE filters as they are Mann-Hummel + your favorite spec 5-30 as i do or 10-30 in hotter climates or summers. i always use med blue loktite to seal the plug + reuse washers forever!

Because not everyone has the facilities or ability to change their oil at home.

Update, had it towed and the oil drain plug was missing. The dealership had been the ones to change the oil as per the new car purchase agreement, but glad I change my own oil. Will probably recommend the gf to take to another location next time or I'll do it if they can give me the oil and filter. Hope the engine will be alright.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jag9985
Update, had it towed and the oil drain plug was missing. The dealership had been the ones to change the oil as per the new car purchase agreement, but glad I change my own oil. Will probably recommend the gf to take to another location next time or I'll do it if they can give me the oil and filter. Hope the engine will be alright.

Wait, what?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by jag9985

Wait, what?

My indeed that situation went 0-100 in a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back