How old is too old for a filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a thrift store and new-in-box oil filters come through our donations a lot, we have 5 or 6 in our "tool room" at any given time, and usually 2 or 3 of them fit my car or they cross reference and would work anyways. How old is too old to use an oil filter? Because if I can pick my filters up for 59 cents a piece I will gladly buy them as they come in.

Depends on ambient temperatures and how they were stored. Too many variables to give a direct answer. Are they synthetic or paper? I wouldn't use anything older than 5 years, again pending how they were stored. I keep mine in ammo cans...

Surprisingly most of the filters we get are synthetic ones. We currently have some Purolator synthetic filters, the blue ones in the green box.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Surprisingly most of the filters we get are synthetic ones. We currently have some Purolator synthetic filters, the blue ones in the green box.

Those are the PSL filters, I would use one even if it was 20 years old (and no rust).

Most "regular" cellulose media could be questionable after 5-6 years, but if stored correctly (low moisture, minimal temp changes) they could be good for a decade.

if you ask the manufacturers, they will usually say something near a 5 year shelf life.
...at least that's what WIX told me several years ago...

Last edited:
Does that mean I should throw away an old Fram 3614 that I still have kicking around that's probably 25 years old?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Does that mean I should throw away an old Fram 3614 that I still have kicking around that's probably 25 years old?

can't tell you that sir...all i can say is what wix told me when i asked them..

I have some Baldwin filters for my truck. I bought them 7 years ago from U-Haul on eBay. They were selling off filters for trucks they didn't have any more. I think they got rid of the idi diesels in the mid 90's. That makes my filters at least that old. They are all factory shrink wrapped so I'm not worried about them.

Synthetic of any age, as long as no rust on base plate ...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
It's a steel can with paper inside. What can go bad?

If a cellulose media, it can break down over time (it is basically paper), and if kept in a humid environment with temp fluctuation, you can end up with very brittle media and rust in the can.

Again, not likely, but is a possibility.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
It's a steel can with paper inside. What can go bad?

If a cellulose media, it can break down over time (it is basically paper), and if kept in a humid environment with temp fluctuation, you can end up with very brittle media and rust in the can.

Again, not likely, but is a possibility.

I think storage is the real key.

I have never had a properly stored filter go bad from age.

Wouldn't Oil Change Interval have some bearing on this , too ?

How about air filters , fuel filters , etc. .

It definitely depends 100% how the filters were stored. In your situation, I would not use anything over 5 years old, period. Even if it's under 5 years old, inspect everything very closely including the gasket. It could have been cooking in a garage for years which might weaken the gasket. Also shake it and listen for noises. If everything meets your approval, buy it and wrap it in a plastic bag and put it back in the box until you use it -- that's what I do with all my filters to keep moisture out.
I bought some new old stock (NOS) Mobil 1 EP filters from Rock Auto for $3 apiece (clearance). Date code said they were 9 years old so I cut one open and it looked perfect, the bypass valve and base gasket were still pliable and fresh. Using with confidence, no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back