'16 Hyundai Genesis: Good car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '15 BMW 328i was recently totaled thanks to a rainstorm and flood. I liked the car very much, but am not necessarily determined to continue with BMW, and my local dealers don't have any color combos that I like. (Why DO people in this hot pesthole insist on black interiors? They are nuts.)

However, a local Hyundai dealer has a '16 Genesis, red/cream, 45,000 miles, 24 months/14K miles left on the warranty, for sale for about what a non-CPO BMW would run. I love the look of it. I'll drive it and get it checked out before I buy, of course. But if you have one or did, how's the overall reliability, the ride quality, the power (this one has the V-6, 311 hp), and the gas mileage? My regular mechanic thinks well of them, but warns that Hyundai sometimes has parts shortages -- it can be hard to get certain special parts. Generally, the people I know who have Hyundai Sonatas love them, and I'd hope the customer satisfaction for Genesis/Equus would be the same.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Drive it.

I don't care for the Koreans idea of "luxury."

Why limit your search to only the local area?

Because I need to drive a car, to see how it rides and how well the A/C works, before I decide on it. I'm not really prepared right now to hop on a plane and fly somewhere to test drive a vehicle.

My boss has a 2017 G80 with the 3.8 in a pretty brown/bronze color.

Really nice car. I don't think the interior is as good as the BMW equivalent. He has right at 40,000 on it. Trouble free all the way for him so far. Just oil changes/filters and that's it. He loves it.

He went from a X6 to the Genesis. Strange departure of styles that's for sure. I will say that the X6 was his first SUV/CUV in a long line of sedans. So the X6 is the odd man out.

As long as it's a 6 and not one of the cursed Theta 4 cyl engines you're all right . Avoid those kamikaze mills at all cost.

I like them a lot. They are more luxury than sport. very reliable if taken care of. We crossed shop them when looking at new cars and they stayed on the list while I looked at cars.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
I like them a lot. They are more luxury than sport. very reliable if taken care of. We crossed shop them when looking at new cars and they stayed on the list while I looked at cars.

Luxury is more the idea for yours truly. A BMW purist would no doubt sneer at the comfort suspension and 17" wheels I had on my 328i . . . but driving a stiff sporty car on these hard roads is a recipe for exasperation. Besides, doesn't the Genesis have "sport" and "economy" settings for the chassis and suspension? And getting 311 hp on regular gas is very attractive.

If I can leave work early today, I may go by and look at the actual car -- the dealer is in my area.

The only thing I might add is resale on cars like that, is poor.
I tend to look at purchases from an end-to-end standpoint.
But if you like the car, then by all means give it a shot.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The only thing I might add is resale on cars like that, is poor.
I tend to look at purchases from an end-to-end standpoint.
But if you like the car, then by all means give it a shot.

Good luck.

Not only that, but sales were low in the US. About 6k for the US in 2016 for the G80. Means that there won't be too many aftermarket parts and you'll be stuck with dealer parts. Plus not many on the road means it will be hard to find used parts and cars in the junkyard. Also how active are the Hyundai forums for these cars?

My wife has a 2011 Genesis with the 4.6. We got it about 4.5 years ago when it had about 45,000 miles on it and it now has about 72,000 miles. I would definitely buy the car again. It has been very reliable, has tons of power, rides well and is overall a very nice car. My only complaint is that the HVAC controls are slightly annoying to use and the A/C is definitely not as strong as you would find on an American car. They may have resolved that with the newer style you're looking at.

Black interior means it is easy to clean, that's why they are the most popular choice for rentals, and used cars. They hide the stain much better.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Black interior means it is easy to clean, that's why they are the most popular choice for rentals, and used cars. They hide the stain much better.

That's the story they give me at the car dealers. The fact is that black shows dirt, and shows it easily. Ever wear a black sweater or shirt? You'll soon see every hair and dust speck near you. And I'd think black leather would show wear in an unpleasant fashion, worn lighter fibers showing up against the dark surface, that the lighter colors would not.

Aside from all that, for me -- looking at this as an owner, not a renter or an Enterprise Car Rental manager -- the black makes every car interior *seem* smaller. And the seat and interior surfaces -- leather and faux-leather, anyway -- hold heat easily. I use sunshades and park in shade, and the A/C in my cars is always good, but why make it have to work harder?

I'm with you, I hate black exterior and black interiors. That seems to eliminate about 40% or more of the cars out there.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Drive it.

Because I need to drive a car, to see how it rides and how well the A/C works, before I decide on it. I'm not really prepared right now to hop on a plane and fly somewhere to test drive a vehicle.

So you drive something locally to get a feel for the model, and you go get or have delivered a car with the options you want.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Drive it.

So you drive something locally to get a feel for the model, and you go get or have delivered a car with the options you want.

That would work if I were buying new. A used car's condition can vary quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back