How Many of You Use High Mileage Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Spector
For those that are a proponent of using HM oil as a preventative measure perhaps you should start using it from the first oil change! That seems to be your theory.

I use it now in my 36 year old Caprice that leaks a lot. I'm hoping it will slow down some of the leaks with time. Would I have used it when the car was new and I was just born? No. Would it leak less now if it had used high mileage oil starting 20 years ago? Maybe.

I am happy with my Black Bottle Castrol EDGE 0W20. Castrol states that it has the same low phosphorus add pack as Green Bottle Castrol GTX HM Synthetic Blend.

I will spend 60 cents more per quart now to avert getting a poisoned catalytic converter later. Previously, I was required to purchase a $1500 factory cat in order to pass the smog check.

There is absolutely no oil consumption yet. Let's see if that holds up as I approach 150k miles and beyond. One of the reasons I bought this 2018 Tacoma was because I had 3/4 of a million miles of experience with a 2005 Tacoma with the same engine. Live and learn.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

I use it now in my 36 year old Caprice that leaks a lot. I'm hoping it will slow down some of the leaks with time. Would I have used it when the car was new and I was just born? No. Would it leak less now if it had used high mileage oil starting 20 years ago? Maybe.

+1ðŸ‘

Fact is older engines have wider clearances, worn rings and cylinders, valve guides and so on.. along with older/brittle seals (valve stem, main seals) that allow more contaminants like soot, fuel, water into the crankcase (blow by). In general, HiMi formulas not only contain seal conditioners to keep seals (pliable) from becoming brittle and cracked over time but HiMi formula also contain higher concentrations of anti-corrosion chemicals, anti-foaming agents, anti-wear compounds, dispersants and acid neutralizers to combat the effects of increased blow by on older engines.

That's why I'm switching to HiMi exclusively at this stage of my engines life, once my current stash is exhausted... but to each his own....

Last edited:
I usually switch or start using HM around the 75,000m mark like what's printed on the bottle. Can't really call it marketing BS when HM oil doesn't cost any more than non-HM FS oil.

I like to think it helps with consumption and preventing leaking on a 15 year old engine.

I'm using it for the first time in my Soul now; but only using it bc got it for $12/jug.
Funny others are mentioning noise with Castrol HM, this is the noisiest oil I've ever used in this car, even with STP added to further thicken it and quiet noise.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by D1dad
I hope it's ok in new vehicles? I just changed the wifes 2018 rogue and used valvoline synthetic w/maxlife 0-20 that I picked up for $1.90 a quart. I'd hate to give those [censored] at Nissan a reason to deny warranty coverage.

What specification or approval does the owner's manual give you for the vehicle? SN? Does the oil carry that specification? If it does then it is appropriate and adequate for warranty purposes. No need to call them names or guess about coverage.

Lol apparently you've never dealt with them. The owners manual states that "failure to use genuine Nissan parts may result in denial of warranty coverage". I had a lengthy discussion with the service manager who stated he's seen Nissan go as far as not using their oil filters. I document every oil change I do but the last thing I need is for them to give me grief over a high mileage oil that isn't "genuine Nissan".

Lol apparently you've never dealt with them. The owners manual states that "failure to use genuine Nissan parts may result in denial of warranty coverage". I had a lengthy discussion with the service manager who stated he's seen Nissan go as far as not using their oil filters. I document every oil change I do but the last thing I need is for them to give me grief over a high mileage oil that isn't "genuine Nissan".

First off... HiMi is a formula (like "race" oil or "gas truck" is a formula) and not some mythical grade of oil.

And technically they can't deny you. For starters, I'm a 2x Hyundai/Kia owner. Nobody knows more about the dealer/mfg giving you grief than a Hyundai/Kia owner... and while Hyundai has gotten "better" over the years (IMO) when it comes to warranty (the longest in the industry IIRC) issues, they still are sticklers.

That said, knowledge is power. The M-M Warranty Act prohibits "tie in" sales. Nissan requiring you to use a Nissan branded oil as a (pre) condition to them honoring the warranty would be a tie in sale and thus a violation of M-M. Nissan could not legally deny a lubricant based claim so long as the oil of your choice carries the requisite specs (ILSAC/API/DEXOS and grade) outlined in your owners manual.

So that's where Nissan gets creative and nuanced with the language in the owners manual. The use of words like "may" and "can be" are ambiguous/dubious to say the least. Technically Nissan isn't doing anything wrong by saying stuff like "may be cause for denial".. they're well within their rights to deny a warranty claim, if you deviated from the mfg recommended specs or used bogus oil from the Dollar Store.

You could argue that use of words like "may deny" have a secondary, whether intended or unintended, effect of scaring the consumer into doing something that is in the interest of Nissan (not in the best interest of the consumer). This is not something unique to Nissan..at some point in time every auto mfg is "guilty" (I put guilty I parentheses cuzz mfgs will argue that there's no nefarious intent behind verbiage) of doing this.

Last edited:
I hope it's ok in new vehicles? I just changed the wifes 2018 rogue and used valvoline synthetic w/maxlife 0-20 that I picked up for $1.90 a quart. I'd hate to give those [censored] at Nissan a reason to deny warranty coverage.

What specification or approval does the owner's manual give you for the vehicle? SN? Does the oil carry that specification? If it does then it is appropriate and adequate for warranty purposes. No need to call them names or guess about coverage.

I'm with you. I've never dealt with the people you are dealing with but they sound pretty bad. Fighting with car dealerships can really mess up your days. Just stick it out through the warranty and then do whatever floats your boat.

It's sad when you have to fight for things you shouldn't have to fight about.

Are you gonna use all their fluids and such?

I have used HM oils in the past (M1) with all my vehicles. It cured a rear main seal seep but will not do anything for leaking gaskets. Recently switched to a SN+/D1G1 to see what happens!

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I have used HM oils in the past (M1) with all my vehicles. It cured a rear main seal seep but will not do anything for leaking gaskets. Recently switched to a SN+/D1G1 to see what happens!

The ability of a HiMi to stop a leak depends on the type of seal that's leaking. Most HiMi's use a plasticizer that works best on silicone and nitrile rubber (main seal). They generally won't do anything for a chemically treated cellulose or cork based seal/gasket.

Hence why it's worth your time to learn what type of material your leaking gasket is made of before trying a HiMi to address a leak.

Last edited:
Our TSX and Tundra have close to 200K on the clock. Both get HM 5w30.
I believe they would be fine on any decent 5w30; who knows for sure?
And I never check the oil...

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act would like a word with him.

Originally Posted by Anduril

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act would like a word with him.

I'd pay to see a public battle of a dealer trying to void a warranty issue because the owner used 0w20 HM oil instead of Nissan 0w20 oil.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105

I'd pay to see a public battle of a dealer trying to void a warranty issue because the owner used 0w20 HM oil instead of Nissan 0w20 oil.

A lot of idiots at the dealership level... Nissan USA knows better than to suggest/do that (requiring an OE part as a precondition to warranty service). But your local service advisor...who knows....

Last edited:
I use high mileage M1 in most everything if i have a choice but not because of oil leaks but because it sounds like a tougher ad pack and i trust Mobile to make a good product.
I started using mobil because the old Haynes modern engines tuning manual strongly recommended it. Which I have since decided means almost nothing but I've been very happy with it anyway.

Last edited:
2006 Nissan Pathfinder..bought it brand new and with the exception of the first two oil changes at the dealer, I have done them myself with Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic and Nissan filter. Around 175000 miles, my brother in law gave me 5 quarts of NAPA 10w-30 synthetic oil and I started having an oil leak at where the rear main seal would be.

I changed oil to a Valvoline HM oil and the leak has stopped.

I have not used a HM oil but I'm not opposed to it. My brother's 2001 Solara had a rear main seal leak that was stopped with M1 HM. That car is still running today with 400k miles on it.

I've never used HM but curious how bad of a leak can it cure? I would imagine if it's dropping on the floor then HM would not help in that situation?

Last edited:
My 01 Ford 150 was seeping oil from the rear seal so I changed to 5-30 MH Mobil 1 and it stopped leaking. It still doesn't leak at 168k. Doesn't use any in 5k oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back