What do you think of this Tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

As much as I'd like to buy used, Toyota makes it difficult. Resale values are so high.

For that money, you're close to buying a brand new SUV with a warranty, more safety features, better gas mileage and more useful space (unless you don't plan on having more than 1 passenger). It's a clean looking truck, but holy crap that price.

Edit: Okay, slight exaggeration. That money is most likely in the CUV range and the Tacoma would probably provide a little more utility. That said, I'd probably be looking at some trucks other than a used Tacoma unless you plan on selling it down the line.

Last edited:
Used tacomas always sell for too much. Its a great vehicle to buy new whenever possible/practical.

One pays a premium 1st for the Toyota name and 2nd for the Tacoma which is always in very high demand.

Ask yourselves why do Tacoma & Tundra always fetch high prices, ther has to be a reason.

Reminds me of that old saying: Nothing is more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.
lol.gif

I have the exact truck, except in white and a little bit more miles. Mine was originally listed for almost $17K, but was able to bargain down somewhat since it was on their lot for a while.

Couple things to look for, number one is the frame for rust. There's only about a year left on that truck for the recall. The leaf springs have a recall on them to be replaced due to corrosion and cracking. They'll replace them for free. Front drivers needle bearing (front differential) goes bad on almost all of them, lifted or not. Between 25-45mph you'll feel a vibration and slight groaning noise. At those speeds, driving strait turn on the 4wd. If the vibration/noise goes away you need a new bearing or an aftermarket sleeve. Steering shaft joint by the rack is prone to rust and getting super stiff. Carrier bearings and u-joints are common problems as well.

My truck has/had every one of these problems. My frame was found to be ok and was coated by Toyota. The needle bearing in my truck was replaced with the aftermarket bushing due to my 2" leveling/lift kit. Expect a $500 repair on that issue. The steering shaft issue on mine is temporarily relived as I sprayed the joint down with PB blaster and coated it with Fluid Film. The 2 piece driveshaft and carrier bearing isn't bad in mine, but still causing a slight vibration 55+MPH. As soon as funds permit I'm going with a one piece driveshaft, roughly $600-$700.

That's all I can think of ontop of my head. They're real solid trucks, honestly it's a good buy. Even with an accident these trucks command a premium and it's right in line from what I remember when I was truck shopping.

You can get a new WT Colorado base for a few grand more.

Also that thing was in SEVERAL accidents. I wouldn't buy that and certainly not at full value.

That's a 10-12k truck all day long IMO. But I know there's the whole brainwashed "TACOMAS HOLD DER DEM VALYEW!" nonsense so someone will overpay. Don't be one of those suckers.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

Also that thing was in SEVERAL accidents. I wouldn't buy that and certainly not at full value.

That's a 10-12k truck all day long IMO. But I know there's the whole brainwashed "TACOMAS HOLD DER DEM VALYEW!" nonsense so someone will overpay. Don't be one of those suckers.

Sorry but the new Colorado doesn't hold a candle to even a 10 year old Tacoma. I test drove one (LT 4 door 4wd) and wasn't impressed at all, especially the transmission manners. The interior even felt cheaper. Not saying the Tacoma is the best, but I was seriously disappointed in the Colorado.

Even with the "accidents" the truck is priced decent because of the miles. I don't understand why they hold their value and am no "fanboy" I guess it just what the market is.

I would call that Insane for an 11yr/old truck of this size/configuration if it was a rust belt truck at any point, but apparently they sell for close to that. This truck could have had several owners by now as well.

I get it though. People love Toyota. I do too.

Last edited:
If you like frames that rust apart then that's right up your alley. Leaf springs that rot and fall off? It's the truck for you.
At least you'll always be able to find your way home-just follow the trail of rust and debris.

Originally Posted by Delta
They're real solid trucks, honestly it's a good buy. Even with an accident these trucks command a premium and it's right in line from what I remember when I was truck shopping.

And yet you've managed far more major issues than I've had with my last 3 Chevrolet pickups-combined. I personally would not consider a money pit like that a good buy.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
And yet you've managed far more major issues than I've had with my last 3 Chevrolet pickups-combined. I personally would not consider a money pit like that a good buy.

Any truck, no matter brand will have issues in the rust belt. I see far more rusty [insert your favorite domestic brand here] trucks around here than something like I have.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
If you like frames that rust apart then that's right up your alley. Leaf springs that rot and fall off? It's the truck for you.
At least you'll always be able to find your way home-just follow the trail of rust and debris.

They're real solid trucks, honestly it's a good buy. Even with an accident these trucks command a premium and it's right in line from what I remember when I was truck shopping.

[Linked Image]

Sorry but the new Colorado doesn't hold a candle to even a 10 year old Tacoma. I test drove one (LT 4 door 4wd) and wasn't impressed at all, especially the transmission manners. The interior even felt cheaper. Not saying the Tacoma is the best, but I was seriously disappointed in the Colorado.

Even with the "accidents" the truck is priced decent because of the miles. I don't understand why they hold their value and am no "fanboy" I guess it just what the market is.

The new Colorado is superior to the new Tacoma in pretty much every way, let alone a clapped out 2009 that's been smashed up three times.

I don't even like the new Colorado, but it's way better than that junk 09 wreck and can be had for only a few grand more. Warranty, etc.

I love the Toyota culture.I admit I drove (2) 22R toyota trucks for too long, just got bored with them.Reliable yes, but nothing particularly special.I currently own a Ranger with the 4cylinder Mazda/Ford Duratec. Has been just as reliable so far.I would look there before paying way too much for a high mileage Toyota truck.

Why would anyone even consider buying that truck , 2009, 73000 miles a few accidents $17000. NO Deal !!!

The new Colorado is superior to the new Tacoma in pretty much every way, let alone a clapped out 2009 that's been smashed up three times.

I don't even like the new Colorado, but it's way better than that junk 09 wreck and can be had for only a few grand more. Warranty, etc.

LOL... Chevy is synonymous with junk.

I'm no Chevy fan but I would take a new one with a warranty over a ragged out used truck from any maker for similar money.

Originally Posted by Starman2112

LOL... Chevy is synonymous with junk.

What's the old saying about opinions and rear ends?

Regardless, it would take a lot to justify the price of the 10 year old Tacoma in question. It's been rear ended twice and hit on the passenger side once. And a recent inspection found evidence of repairs to the front bumper and hood. With more repairs than Joan Rivers, it's not worth almost $18k.

Yeah, and I'll bet the new Colorado will even come with the excrement 8-speed transmission for free?

"Chevrolet Colorado Sales Down 23 Percent In Q2 2019" - https://bit.ly/3318ufZ

"U.S. GM Sales Decrease 1.5 Percent To 746,659 Units In Second Quarter 2019" - https://bit.ly/2XAXXEg

"Toyota Motor North America Reports U.S. Sales for June, First Half of 2019" - https://toyota.us/2Xw7tbL

Take a look at: https://bit.ly/2J9fIsA , https://bit.ly/2VTG3wa). If/when you have a few minutes, read the posts on this internet forum written by "OldChevyNut" - https://bit.ly/2KWDYPk . He has some scathing comments about the automatic transmission and the fact that there is currently a class-action lawsuit regarding the GM 8L90 and 8L45 Transmission Problems were too much for, obviously, many people to ignore.(based on the Colorado sales) - https://bit.ly/2VelttR

Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back