trailer brakes required over 4400 lbs gvwr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does this mean you need brakes if the trailer is loaded over 4400lbs? What if say you have a 10k gvwr trailer that weighs 2000lbs and you only have say 1000 pounds of weight on it?

It's the weight rating......Nothing to do with how much weight you have on it.

Of coase a 10K trailer probably won't put you in the cross hairs of TXDOT/Highway patrol, But you don't want to find out!

I've never been messed with over my 25,000 GVWR 40ft gooseneck in Texas......But have been pulled over twice in Oklahoma & got a hefty fine for my truck being overloaded (Exceeded the GVWR of the truck itself).....Had 300+ transmission cores;)

Yup, it's GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating. That is the combined weight of the trailer and contents that the trailer is rated for.

Just as important is your vehicle's GVWR and tow capacity. You don't want to be towing more than you can safely stop or control. Finding your vehicle limits is not something you want to do when you're towing.

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Yup, it's GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating. That is the combined weight of the trailer and contents that the trailer is rated for.

Just as important is your vehicle's GVWR and tow capacity. You don't want to be towing more than you can safely stop or control. Finding your vehicle limits is not something you want to do when you're towing.

There are some different points of view on that....My 2500HD is the exact same as a 3500 SRW barring the Overload springs, Clearance lamps on the roof & LT265E tires. I have 3500 overloads+brackets & leafs in the rear + LT265E tires. The Clearance lamps are not what got me a fine....It was the sticker stating what my max GVWR was, End of story!

Not that there should be a loophole for owner modifications that increases GVWR's.....I took the hit with a smile!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
There are some different points of view on that...

Noted.
cool.gif

I was assuming stock vehicle and reasonably inexperienced tow rig driver by the tone of the question. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
grin2.gif

It's determined by the rated gross weight of the trailer and varies by state. You'll have to look up the limit for your state. I've seen as low as 1000 lbs; typical is around 3500 and I think some are higher. Please note that you must meet the requirements for the state you are in. Driver's license is different; some states (Texas) require class B non-commercial if the GCVW is 26,001 or more and some have no limit (Florida). A Florida resident can drive a 50,000 lb RV towing a 5000 lb vehicle with air brakes with a regular driver's license and if pulled over in Texas is entirely legal.

Agreed; look up the laws for your state.

If you have a 10k GVWR trailer it should have come with brakes already. I mean, that should be dual axle and set up from the get-go with brakes--I can't imagine them being shipped without.

In VA, it depends on the actual weight of the trailer + cargo. Anything over 3,000 lbs requires brakes.

In NM, they require breakaway brakes now. Gotta have a battery to activate them in case trailer becomes detached. My 16ft 7,000# has brakes but no breakaway setup and never been stopped.

In Nevada, the statute uses gross weight of the trailer to determine brake requirements, not gross weight rating. Thus in order to ticket, local police would have to weigh the trailer. That doesn't prevent some locals writing tickets incorrectly based upon GVWR. Happened to my wife's landscaping company, and the driver refused to fight it despite being councelled otherwise.

Originally Posted by glock19
In VA, it depends on the actual weight of the trailer + cargo. Anything over 3,000 lbs requires brakes.

I just looked it up and it is correct for VA, I was always told that on a single axle trailer that over 2,000 lbs you needed brakes and with brakes you could have up too 3,500 lbs. This actually makes me feel better as my dad has a trailer they made at his shop but they overbuilt it and it weighs around 1,500 lbs empty it's roughly 6x10 but it's all steel with box tubing for the frame and 1/4" diamond plate for the floor and sides so you're actually loaded even when empty. I used to worry about being overweight when I would haul my four wheeler which was around 550 lbs or so but this actually gives me a 1,500 lb buffer.

It currently has 14" rims but we have plans to raise the fenders to allow for 15" which can handle the weight a lot better and they'll be new instead of the old ones that are worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back