Average Dry weight for 6x12 utility trailer

Just picked up this this 6x12 trailer with a dovetail and was surprised by how light the tag says it is. It was a repo trailer on a local rent to own type trailer/building place. 2021 model and honestly doesn't appear to have been used any if at all. It has a 3500lb axle and overall looks good with nice welds. What surprised me is this thing has a (claimed) dry weight of 650lbs.. That seems really light to me for a 6x12 and most of the other ones I've looked at online weigh closer to 1000lbs. This trailer is all steel tube construction. 2x3 for tongue/frame and 2x2 for side/top rail. Has some C channel type stuff for bracing every 2 ft underneath. I measured thickness of the tube and the 2x3 on the tongue mic'd out at around .095 (12/13 gauge?) and the 2x2 sides is .063 (15/16 gauge?). It all seems pretty thin to me, but I don't know much about building trailers..

Am I over thinking this? All I really plan to do with the thing is carry atv's or some furniture.. Seems pretty light duty to me for a claimed 2850lbs capacity.

Here's the company's facebook page. Looks like they were selling them for $1350-1600 in 2021 new.

Attachments

• IMG_4783.jpg
    IMG_4783.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 95
Easy way to check weigh truck.. hookup trailer.. go reweigh truck with trailer.

Many truck stops have cat scales.

I mean no insult but are you sure its a 6x12 seems slightly out of proportion in the picture.

I think it might do ok with 2800lb of gravel spread evenly (tarp or something for sides)

I would avoid carrying 2800lb of steel in drums or other heavy compact loads..even directly over the axle.

Easy way to check weigh truck.. hookup trailer.. go reweigh truck with trailer.

Many truck stops have cat scales.

I mean no insult but are you sure its a 6x12 seems slightly out of proportion in the picture.

I think it might do ok with 2800lb of gravel spread evenly (tarp or something for sides)

I would avoid carrying 2800lb of steel in drums or other heavy compact loads..even directly over the axle.
Yeah I know I could take it across the scales, but don't really want to.. haha.

Its definitely a 6x12. I put a tape measurer on it and that matches the vin tag and paperwork.

I did 1/2 way think about putting my samurai on it if I needed to.. Not sure now. Samurai weights under 2k lbs.

Last edited:

Its definitely a 6x12. I put a tape measurer on it and that matches the vin tag and paperwork.
my 5x8 weighs around 700 iirc.. but its a decent quality piece.

I'm surprised a wood deck 6x12 could get anywhere near 650lb.

I did 1/2 way think about putting my samurai on it if I needed to.. Not sure now. Samurai weights under 2k lbs.
It's right there with many utility trailers. However, I would bet your Samurai would make the whole trailer out of balance with a high tongue weight and high center of gravity, which might make for a whippy tow. Does it have trailer brakes?

Back