parking car outside is "bad"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JTK

Sun has never killed a car in Buffalo NY. I wish!

Sun kills lotsa cars in malaysia. fades the paint, destroys rubber seals which then allows water though the windscreen into the car.

Living in a sun state with no snow, no salted roads, etc., parking under cover or in a garage is the way to keeping paint on your car and the interior from being destroyed by heat and UV. If you don't have a covered parking, then invest in a car cover, which will protect against sun damage.

If you're in a cold, wet climate, then I can't help.
33.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by edwardh1
its instinct I think, that to park a car in a garage and its "better" - dryer, maybe less electrical problems?
anyone ever seen any studies/reports etc?

Common sense should tell you what the answer is.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Best way to keep a car outside is under a car port, and make sure there is no grass growing where the vehicle sits.

Sure … that's way better than in the open. We have two spaces at a weekend condo. One under a carport and the other in the open. One vehicle is dry or frost free (snow is rare for us) … the other is not.
We have serious UV here too.

A weekend condo...???

Rolling large 4wd
lol.gif

Nothing wrong with that
smile.gif

UV accelerates the aging of synthetic materials which is basically the entire interior. Heat and Cold also have an impact as well. Exterior wise UV impact exposed gaskets, making them crack/crumble and fades plastic headlamps.. Since this aging occurs, mostly, on the interior most the general public wouldn't notice the cracked buttons, peeling trim on door handles, and rattling dash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by vw7674
Garage keeps wire chewing rodents away...
Reliably? If I were a rodent, I'd rather chew on car wiring in a semi-warm garage than outdoors in winter.

There are plenty of horror stories of rodent damage within garages.

lol.gif

Heck... My darn cat chews on wires behind the doggone tv of mine too... Had to wrap the wires in electrical tape.

If there was no benefits to the cars, the convenience of getting into a car that is not dripping wet, covered with ice, baking hot or freezing cold would be enough.

My insulated garage doors seal side and bottom when shut, and we keep no food inside. Not saying it can't happen, but with reasonable precautions we've enjoyed almost 2 decades of rodent free garage use.

In the Winter, even during the coldest week(s) of single digit overnight temps, garage temp stays above freezing. Garage is insulated, doors too, and parking one or both warm engines in it is enough to keep things above 32F overnight, and warmer during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back