Still having an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k

So yesterday I posted about needing to replace the cam synchronizer on my truck. It had the signature chirping noise and a barely noticeable rough idle. Well I replaced the synchronizer and I still have a chirp and a barely noticeable rough idle. I cleaned the butterfly extensively with carb cleaner and tooth brush too and still idles rough slightly. The old synchronizer had play in the shaft and also had a grinding noise coming from inside it when spinning the shaft so regardless of the chirping noise the synchro still needed replacing.

I have replaced plugs, air filter, synchronizer and changed the oil to full synthetic Castrol Edge 5w30 with a fram ultra. My next check will be the EGR valve, serpentine belt/ujoint(for chirping) and pcv valve. If that yields no results, then I will check the fuel filter for the idle issue and look for vacuum leaks.

What else am I missing on my checks?

Clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner, and clean the idle air control valve with throttle body cleaner. The chirp may be the belt tensioner pulley, idler pulley, or belt. Try spinning them with the belt off.

But like DuckRyder said in the other thread, these are not super smooth engines in this configuration. My ancient 4.0L Explorer with more miles is like a Lexus LS400 in comparison to my 3.0L Ranger.

Did you disconnect the battery while cleaning the throttle body? Ford also has an idle relearn procedure that may help. I didn't find an official source, but maybe someone here is familiar with it.

I had same issue with my 3.0 Ranger. New belt fixed it, but get this. The only belt that didn't give me problems was an AC Deleco belt......all the rest would be good for a few weeks, then start givning me the small chirp. The AC Delco belts worked great.

Had similar issue on a 2004 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan. After replacing cam sensor, still had idle issues. Started looking around under the hood and found out the plug wires were arcing. New wires and plugs took care of the problem in that case. Hopefully your solution is just that simple.

Barely noticeable rough idle
Do you have a Code Reader to check for error codes ?

Check your plug Wires. When it's dark, start engine and look for arcing.
I had a rough idle (after 38,000 miles) on wires I bought at AZ. / Motorcraft wires solved my problem.

I also had to change the Throttle Position Sensor (easy to do)

Chirping sound:
Remove the Drive Belt and turn any Pulleys, looking for a bad bearing.
Also check the Belt Tensioner

Edit: I'm using a Dayco Belt, Pt No 5060885 from AZ, (52,000 miles, still good)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes I have a code reader and it shows no codes at all.

I will go the route of checking the pulleys with belt off and such. Thank you guys so much for the help.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
I will also check the wires tonight too

I just did the soapy water spray bottle test and there was a lot of arcing on the left side Plug wires and none that I could see on the right side plug wires. Add a set of new plug wires to the list lol

I will also check the wires tonight too

I just did the soapy water spray bottle test and there was a lot of arcing on the left side Plug wires and none that I could see on the right side plug wires. Add a set of new plug wires to the list lol

Ok so I replaced the plug wires yesterday morning before work and the rough idle is still there. I picked up an oem ignition coil and I will be swapping that today. If this doesn't work, it's compression test time and I hope like [censored] its got compression in every cylinder.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
Our low mileage 2004 ranger 3.0 has a bit of a random shake at idle. Maybe it's common/normal.

A bit of rough idle is normal on the 3.0 in the Ranger.

Originally Posted by wag123
Our low mileage 2004 ranger 3.0 has a bit of a random shake at idle. Maybe it's common/normal.

How though? What is "off" about the motor to give it a "normal" rough idle?

Originally Posted by wag123

How though? What is "off" about the motor to give it a "normal" rough idle?
I don't know. Years ago I bought a new one and it idled a bit rough (more like a slight stutter) from day one. I had it back to the dealer twice for this and they said it was normal. I never had any other problems with the engine, just the transmission, twice.

Check the coil pack over for cracks. Look around the towers, along the body and also underneath... They crack everywhere.

If you haven't solved the squeaking noise, just wet the belt with some water. If it goes away temporarily, you've got an alignment issue. If comes back worse then a wear and/or tension issue. If neither then synchro again?

All has been solved for now. The squeaking that I originally thought was the serp belt and/or the synchronizer turned out to be a heat shield on the exhaust rubbing the frame. The idle got better after replacing the coil pack as well. Thank you all!

Last edited:
Yes I have a code reader and it shows no codes at all.

I will go the route of checking the pulleys with belt off and such. Thank you guys so much for the help.

When I was replacing the belt tensioner day before yesterday, the old one was nearly completely frozen in place. It took all I had to break that sucker free so I could let the tension off the belt. Glad I replaced it and the idler pulley at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back