End of the demolition derby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a few write ups about this but got to thinking about this even years ago. I've only been to a handful of them but with places like pull-n-save that have way too frequent turnover, insurance and dying small racetracks is this something that will evolve? Just curious to hear from others.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
There have been a few write ups about this but got to thinking about this even years ago. I've only been to a handful of them but with places like pull-n-save that have way too frequent turnover, insurance and dying small racetracks is this something that will evolve? Just curious to hear from others.

As a big fan of dirt track racing I agree small race tracks are having a tough time and many are closing. The track close to me that I go to often does not have demolition derbys, but does seem to be in relatively good financial health and has racing 3 times a month with several divisions of cars each time.

Thing about demolition derby's is you don't really need a proper 'track' to host them - you just need an open field/lot/area that you can block off.

In small-town fairs I think they will continue for a while. I've been to a few and they are very well-attended.

Based on popularity at local fairs, I don't see it dying anytime soon.

Biggest thing is modifying and providing different types of classes and events. Local fair has all sorts of classes to get different types of cars now - full size, mid size, minis, trucks, etc... Just moving what is a demo car into some non-traditional types of cars...

Well, as long as we keep salting our roads I suspect we'll keep getting a steady stream of vehicles that are just too far gone to bother with. I suspect it will stick around longer.

But will it evolve? I'm guessing so, since everything has to roll with the times.

They'll have to allow participants to modify the core supports and sub frames on modern fwd cars to apply impact rather than crumple for safety, more or less.

Originally Posted by azjake
As a big fan of dirt track racing I agree small race tracks are having a tough time and many are closing. The track close to me that I go to often does not have demolition derbys, but does seem to be in relatively good financial health and has racing 3 times a month with several divisions of cars each time.

Bondurant?

around here they're mainly at the county fairs.
a couple years back, the 90+% agricultural county north of me even had a Combine Demo Derby @ the fair.
I think one year they were talking about one for Riding Mowers..

I tried suggesting the Top Gear style Double Decker cars...where one car is welded atop another, the driver of the bottom car has the pedals, and the top car has the steering...never happened

Tracks all around me are closed, liability is HUGE issue. The demo derby is going to survive, now that scrap prices have cooled off.

It is more technical now, such as removing air bags, but the same old shenanigans work, (concrete in doors)

The demolition derby is the most popular event at the county fair.

It is my opinion that the small tracks need an organization umbrella,perhaps the NHRA should step into this area providing the liability protections needed.

Tracks don't stay open when drivers are high on pot and drive into the stands.....

Last edited:
The county fair demo derby will end the moment someone gets hurt, sues, and wins a giant award. It will end THAT DAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back