Do push mowers with bottom oil drain bolt exist today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 10 year old Craftsman mower has a drain plug, holds about 20 ounces LOL. I use the mower handle to lift the front end high, then prop it up between a couple 5-gallon pails. Plenty of room to set a drain pan and do a quick change once every couple years.

My 2015 Toro SR4 with the Chonda motor has a drain plug. It's on top of the drive system so a pain to access. Just easier to tip it over like everyone else.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Sure. Vacuum it out with a plunger tool.
smile.gif

Not an option.
Originally Posted by 69GTX
When you run the mower out of gas, it takes about 30 sec to 1 minute to turn the mower on its side to drain out all the oil into Your drain pan. Actually, easier than used to be with the drain bolt on the bottom.

When I tipped my mower over to it's side - to enter into my vehicle's plastic six quart drain pan, the mower touches the drain pan - darn-near squashing it - to where it wants to teeter-toter and tip over.
(Or) Do I need to dig a hole in the grass - circling around my drain pan, allowing the drain pan to sit flush with the ground, to avoid tetter-totering?
Or am I supposed to hold the lawn mower upside down in total air suspension, while it drains - thus not tipping over my oil pan? Then go and have surgery for a hernia?

(Or) this one makes the most sense....
Have a 2nd person nearby to hold the oil drain pan while I turn it over. Then with the 3rd hand holding close to the fill hole, unscrew the cap and remove it fast, thus the oil drains into the plastic oil pan, while a 3rd and 4th hand is holding it close to the fill hole and firmly?

Why does this need to be a two person job? Or should I leave the round hole in my grass permanently and employ that flush-to-the-ground method, once every two years?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

When I tipped my mower over to it's side - to enter into my vehicle's plastic six quart drain pan, the mower touches the drain pan - darn-near squashing it - to where it wants to teeter-toter and tip over.

Use a smaller pan.
(or)
Set the mower wheels up on blocks or boards before tipping. Practice with the dipstick/cap in place first so it won't spill if it doesn't tip cleanly.

Originally Posted by mk378
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Use a smaller pan.
(or)
Set the mower wheels up on blocks or boards before tipping. Practice with the dipstick/cap in place first so it won't spill if it doesn't tip cleanly.

Like I mentioned and can't get any easier. Tip sideways and hold a coffee can under the fill neck. You don't need to mess around with vacuum pumps and wheel blocks to accomplish such an easy task. I never spill a drop.

Last edited:
My 1992 Toro Recycler with the B&S 400 engine has a bottom drain plug. I used to get it up on ramps, pull out the old creeper and get under there like I would any of my cars. It must have looked silly seeing as I was bigger than the mower, and it was actually somewhat more difficult than an automobile and all for 1/2 quart of oil
crackmeup2.gif

Then I actually read the dipstick. What is this...Drain/fill? ...all I have to do is tip it on its side and all of the oil comes out. Then refill. Easy Peasy, takes less than 3 mins and is an approved OEM method.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MNgopher
Last two just tipped on their side to drain. No real mess, just use a big open drain pan. Easier to do when fairly empty of gas.

this^^^

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by MNgopher
Last two just tipped on their side to drain. No real mess, just use a big open drain pan. Easier to do when fairly empty of gas.

this^^^

Neither one of mine empty fully on their side. Then need to be tipped upside-down. I do this after I run the mower out of gasoline.
Next time, I'll tip it upside-down and let it become steady. Then, I'll hold a large Folgers coffee can under the drain with one hand and then unscrew the drain/dipstick with the other hand. The only mess will be the dipstick, as I'll likely let it drop full of oil, into the coffee can.

Cleanup will be small and very limited to the dipstick area. Thanks everyone, for the replies.

Last edited:
I was watching a you tube video a while back and the guy changed the oil by tipping it on it's side. He used a small bread pan to catch the oil. Next time I change the oil I may make a trip to the dollar store for one and give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back