Looking to buy 2014 - 2016 Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by edyvw
Two more pages: They should get Mazda CX-5, it goes from 0-60 in no time.
Four more pages: My Mazda has less turbo lag than Porsche, and is faster than Mercedes GLC.
Six pages: What is JGC?

Which page does he talk about driving the Mazda home from "pumping iron"? We all know that's coming. Talk about insecurity...

LOL, I missed that gem.

Four more pages: My Mazda has less turbo lag than Porsche, and is faster than Mercedes GLC.

Which page does he talk about driving the Mazda home from "pumping iron"? We all know that's coming. Talk about insecurity...

I think we have all the bases covered now
crackmeup2.gif

I don't know too much about Mazda. I understand they have superior driving dynamics relative to other similar cars. I also hear about alarming rust issues. I wonder how the crash tests do on a ten year old cancer ridden Mazda? Toyota did the honorable thing a few years back with its pickup frame rust issues. Honestly those are the only two vehicles I recall that had dangerous rust issues in recent memory.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I don't know too much about Mazda. I understand they have superior driving dynamics relative to other similar cars. I also hear about alarming rust issues. I wonder how the crash tests do on a ten year old cancer ridden Mazda? Toyota did the honorable thing a few years back with its pickup frame rust issues. Honestly those are the only two vehicles I recall that had dangerous rust issues in recent memory.

Please don't. Just stick to Grand Cherokee on this topic.

Last edited:

Gym, store, work are why I leave the house. Seems that the most snow Ive encountered oddly was during times I wasnt working that shift. Read into it whatever you want.

Originally Posted by sloinker

Mazda used to have bad rust issues. Now they coat body panels etc. to typical industry standards. No better or worse than avg.

My Jeep and Mazda rusted identically, which is to say, where the paint chipped, rust occured, but nothing special or noteworthy in either case.

Last edited:
My grandpa got a 14' Grand Cherokee Limited last year in February w/ 102k miles. The first week the radiator sprung a leak. Since then the transfer case control module has been replaced, as well as this week it got a new oil pressure switch (caused CEL) that was under the intake manifold. The thermostat housing was leaking too, had that replaced.

The steering rack has a slow leak along with 3/4 struts/shocks, and the washer fluid only fills about 25% of the way. Transmission is rough as [censored] too.

It's been a bit of a troublemaker. But oh well.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
My grandpa got a 14' Grand Cherokee Limited last year in February w/ 102k miles. The first week the radiator sprung a leak. Since then the transfer case control module has been replaced, as well as this week it got a new oil pressure switch (caused CEL) that was under the intake manifold. The thermostat housing was leaking too, had that replaced.

The steering rack has a slow leak along with 3/4 struts/shocks, and the washer fluid only fills about 25% of the way. Transmission is rough as [censored] too.

ZF8? ZF8 is the most reliable mainstream transmission currently. That is fluke or the vehicle was seriously neglected.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Look out, I'm building CX5's on Mazda's website, while curling a dumbbell...

crackmeup2.gif

Rofl! Who the [censored] curls a dumbell anymore? Compound/complex lifts are where it's at.

ZF8? ZF8 is the most reliable mainstream transmission currently. That is fluke or the vehicle was seriously neglected.
Not sure, it's an 8 speed though. I should rephrase that. It's rough going into 2nd gear on the first drive of the day. And it just plain sucks the rest of the time. Want to pass on the freeway? Hit the gas pedal and... waiting... waiting... waiting...Go!!! Want to lightly pass? Give it a little gas, it'll go down to 7th gear. Want to pass just a little bit harder? 5th gear it is and screaming.

Not sure, it's an 8 speed though. I should rephrase that. It's rough going into 2nd gear on the first drive of the day. And it just plain sucks the rest of the time. Want to pass on the freeway? Hit the gas pedal and... waiting... waiting... waiting...Go!!! Want to lightly pass? Give it a little gas, it'll go down to 7th gear. Want to pass just a little bit harder? 5th gear it is and screaming.

I think Alfa and BMW have done the best job tuning the 8HP to suit their applications, but the transmission characteristics you describe leads me to think something is wrong. At a minimum I'd check for any software updates and reset the adaptations.
The two 8HPs in my garage are just about flawless.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I think Alfa and BMW have done the best job tuning the 8HP to suit their applications, but the transmission characteristics you describe leads me to think something is wrong. At a minimum I'd check for any software updates and reset the adaptations.
The two 8HPs in my garage are just about flawless.

Same here. When I bought the 300 is was kind of like what Nick1994 describes. I reset the adaptives and it's been flawless since. If my wife drives it it'll learn her habits and get a little lazy, but it quickly re-adapts back to my driving.

Well I found this thread at a Jeep forum : https://jeepgarage.org/f107/how-is-your-high-mileage-wk2-holding-up-85832.html : Doesn't look real positive : Maybe I'm just jaded because I've had incredible luck with my past few cars from GM but I've never had anywhere near the number of issues that these owners are having. I've read several posts at various forums now that mention the vehicle just stalling while driving, scary stuff. I know people don't run to their computers to report their cars are running fine so the sample I'm getting is skewed, but still. As a side note we owned a 2002 Dodge stratus that was extremely dependable even with the dreaded 2.7L v6. Ran it up to 170k with almost no issues.

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
Well I found this thread at a Jeep forum : https://jeepgarage.org/f107/how-is-your-high-mileage-wk2-holding-up-85832.html : Doesn't look real positive : Maybe I'm just jaded because I've had incredible luck with my past few cars from GM but I've never had anywhere near the number of issues that these owners are having. I've read several posts at various forums now that mention the vehicle just stalling while driving, scary stuff. I know people don't run to their computers to report their cars are running fine so the sample I'm getting is skewed, but still. As a side note we owned a 2002 Dodge stratus that was extremely dependable even with the dreaded 2.7L v6. Ran it up to 170k with almost no issues.

Like I said, every n=decent size compilations of opinion on Jeep is going to reveal abysmal reliability. But go ahead...you might get lucky? They're very nice when they arent falling apart.

I really don't get it. How could FCA double their market share on full size trucks over the past 15 years by putting out junk. They must be doing something right. The other point is that reliability is only one factor. Performance / capability / style / etc etc obviously play a much bigger role. I don't think the Germans build reliable vehicles but people can't wait to plunk down their hard earned cash to put one in their driveway. I think the phrase (not mine) "Drive What makes you smile" guides peoples buying decisions.

I really don't get it. How could FCA double their market share on full size trucks over the past 15 years by putting out junk. They must be doing something right. The other point is that reliability is only one factor. Performance / capability / style / etc etc obviously play a much bigger role. I don't think the Germans build reliable vehicles but people can't wait to plunk down their hard earned cash to put one in their driveway. I think the phrase (not mine) "Drive What makes you smile" guides peoples buying decisions.

Don't listen to Ws6, he's just jaded. He'd tell you to buy a Sienna over a Grand Caravan, and it doesn't take much looking to find out just how badly Toyota can screw up a minivan. And yeah... people just go to forums to complain. They sold ~250,000 Grand Cherokee's in 2018, how many people are on that forum?

FCA has made over 10,000,000 pentastar v6's. If they were truly that bad it'd be plastered all over the internet. They're using very heavily based on but beefed up ZF transmissions in the Grand Cherokee. Again, if they were really that bad we'd hear about it. Their AWD system is awesome and relatively bulletproof. Don't see many complaints there either.

The worst issue I think you'd come across is an infotainment bug... like it randomly losing your presets (happened to me once) or being stuck on whatever volume (soft reboot, hold on/off and tune buttons).

But I'm sure he'll be along shortly after "pumping iron" to prove me wrong and tell you why his Mazda is the best possible vehicle you could ever purchase.
28.gif
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Don't listen to Ws6, he's just jaded. He'd tell you to buy a Sienna over a Grand Caravan, and it doesn't take much looking to find out just how badly Toyota can screw up a minivan. And yeah... people just go to forums to complain. They sold ~250,000 Grand Cherokee's in 2018, how many people are on that forum?

FCA has made over 10,000,000 pentastar v6's. If they were truly that bad it'd be plastered all over the internet. They're using very heavily based on but beefed up ZF transmissions in the Grand Cherokee. Again, if they were really that bad we'd hear about it. Their AWD system is awesome and relatively bulletproof. Don't see many complaints there either.

The worst issue I think you'd come across is an infotainment bug... like it randomly losing your presets (happened to me once) or being stuck on whatever volume (soft reboot, hold on/off and tune buttons).

But I'm sure he'll be along shortly after "pumping iron" to prove me wrong and tell you why his Mazda is the best possible vehicle you could ever purchase.
28.gif
smirk2.gif

Oh, the PS and ZF8 are fine. Its the vehicle rotting around the longblock, transfer case, and platetary that really kills the ownership experience.

By all means, OP, buy one. Write it off as just internet driven, biased CR ratings, [censored] JDPower polling, falsified Edmunds repair cost estimator, and others conspiring against FCA with no factual basis, and enjoy your FCA product today!

Ps. Skipping the gym this AM. I'll hit that tonight.

PSS...here is how Skippys chrysler products have treated him...so keep in mind his standards for what a "reliable, well made vehicle" stem from...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rysler-300s-v6-1-year-review#Post5088974

Last edited:
I really don't get it. How could FCA double their market share on full size trucks over the past 15 years by putting out junk. They must be doing something right.

1. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Hemi is nothing special in the engine and yet people think it's some magic crazy engine. The Ram ads are good and get you thinking they are great trucks (they are not).
2. Cheap, cheap, cheap. There is a dealer nearby offering 25% MSRP off all in stock Rams in June. If I were looking for a truck and knew nothing, I'd be inclined to ckeck that sale out. That draws you in and Ram tends to be a bit cheaper than the competition.
3. GM's missteps. The last few generations of GM trucks have not been well received by the press and people. That and #1 and #2 helped propel them.

You're forgetting that Chrysler has gone bankrupt twice. You don't do that by building great vehicles. One interesting metric would be # of repeat buyers/owner loyalty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Like I said, every n=decent size compilations of opinion on Jeep is going to reveal abysmal reliability. But go ahead...you might get lucky? They're very nice when they arent falling apart.

People read and see what they want to see. I read some of that jeep thread and I also saw many that reported no issues or very few issues.
You have people in this very thread reporting good service out of their FCA products.

But of course, since your mind has already a certain paradigm in regards to this brand, you dismiss the positive reports or don't even notice them, but the negative reports is what gets your attention.

We all have our biases, but some take them to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back