CH10246 C&P - 6500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
6558 miles, 6.5 months, Mobil1 5w-30 full synthetic. The high amount of black specks in the creases is most likely RTV from replacing the oil pan gasket at the same time that I did the oil change.

20190630_143000 - Copy.jpg

20190630_143011 - Copy.jpg

20190630_143253 - Copy.jpg

20190630_143231 - Copy.jpg

20190630_143223 - Copy.jpg

20190630_143024 - Copy.jpg

20190630_143018 - Copy.jpg

How many miles on the motor?
What vehicle?

The fine black looks more like carbon that many filters catch, but could be from the sealer. Any previous filters to compare to?

Looks good! Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

I like the way you separated the media from the tube. Well-done and neat and clean
smile.gif

The CH10246 looks like a reboxed OE Hengst, and the pleats remained nice and straight!

Fram finally makes an Ultra XG10246. It is the white media and plastic mesh, like the one they make for the Pentastar

I don't have previous filters unfortunately. I'm not worried about the black, be it carbon or RTV left overs. The filter was doing its job, that's all I cared about.

Motor has 135k, 2012 Cruze Eco. Used these filters exclusively, and will until my stash runs out.

I wanted to use an XG10246 for the longest time, but only one store in my area carries it and charges $15 each. I got the CH10246 on clearance for $1.40 each and picked up 20. I'm about half way through them. From my research back in the day (when I bought the vehicle and these filters), these Fram's actually were Hengst filters based on the patent numbers being the same, and Fram probably contracted them until they started making their own. I have no proof of that, but I do know the markings have changed.

Last edited:
That black stuff sure do look like carbon to me. I would guess the engine burns a bit of oil. If you wipe some out with your finger it should initially feel/look gritty but when you rub it between your fingers it breaks up and turns soft. That would be carbon.

Originally Posted by blupupher
How many miles on the motor?
What vehicle?

The fine black looks more like carbon that many filters catch, but could be from the sealer. Any previous filters to compare to?

Yeah that IS a ton of black specs to not be carbon

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Fram finally makes an Ultra XG10246. It is the white media and plastic mesh, like the one they make for the Pentastar

Fram has taken it's time coming out with an Ultra model for some of these cartridge filters.
I know on my Santa Fe, Fram finally relased the XG10855 in March/April 2019, yet the CH10855 has been out since 2014 when the motor was introduced.

Originally Posted by shibby6600
I don't have previous filters unfortunately. I'm not worried about the black, be it carbon or RTV left overs. The filter was doing its job, that's all I cared about.

I agree, it is not a bad thing or a mojor concern, most of the vehicles I change have similar, just an observation.

The black stuff feels like carbon. I haven't noticed it burn oil, but I know the inter cooler has a bit of oil in it from all these years. It could be burning it from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back