Conditioning leather interiors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since even the more expensive cars don't have 100% leather seats with the sides, backs of the front seats, armrests, etc. being matching vinyl, what is the best way to protect them? I use Lexol on leather and a Meguier's product on vinyl. It's often hard to tell what's leather and what's vinyl so sometimes I get the wrong product on each. Is there a better solution? Is there a product that is meant to be used on both?

And how do you prefer to apply the Lexol? I've been spraying it on a section and spreading it around with a foam pad pretty thick the first time, letting it soak in. Then repeat an hour later but not as thick. After another hour I go over it with a MF towel to even it out. Any problems with that technique?

Griot's Leather 3-in-1 Spray is my favorite.

I spray it on a kiwi boot brush, work in into the seat, and wipe it with a dry microfiber to finish.

The majority of automotive leather is of the "top coated" variety. It's top-coated with polyurethane therefore typical leather products such as Lexol which are deigned for un-coated leathers do not work. You'd want to use the same thing that you would for vinyl seats such as water to retain suppleness and finish with Aerospace 303, Optimium Protectant Plus, etc.

Aniline, semi-aniline and vegetable-tanned are types of leather as well as full grain Nappa leathers for example are not top-coated but they're really only found in luxury makes (Bentley, Benz, etc).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
How do you tell what is what? Right now I'm doing an 06 Jetta. Leather in great shape for the age and miles.

IIRC water droplets will bead on top-coated. In any case for your vehicle it's top-coated. This type of leather is designed for durability.

Last edited:
How do you tell what is what? Right now I'm doing an 06 Jetta. Leather in great shape for the age and miles.

If water beads, it is coated. If it soaks in, it is aniline.

I prefer Gliptone Liquid Leather Conditioner, a UK product made here under license. Lexol is a close second and I use 303 for the vinyl parts. The 303 is also OK on leather if you don't guess correctly, but the others are better. A lot of auto leather, most of the domestics, use a coated leather which is probably better treated as a vinyl.

For an all in one cleaner and conditioner, I really like what LR gives with their cars and can be bought at the dealer.

If this is your personal car I recommend Gyeon Leathercoat.

If this is a flip car, the cheapest stuff you can find.

Originally Posted by Eddie
If one still has questions I supposed one could lower their EGO and read the owner manual. HaHa Ed

What does ego have to do with anything?

What does any owners manual have to say beyond the most basic, "use warm water and mild detergent?"

Originally Posted by PimTac

I generally go the opposite. Buy the best name brand parts and supplies for something I'm selling, I think it will have a better and quicker chance of selling and for money. Plus I don't want a call a week later saying the Chinese water pump, alternator or fuel pump I installed has quit.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I generally go the opposite. Buy the best name brand parts and supplies for something I'm selling, I think it will have a better and quicker chance of selling and for money. Plus I don't want a call a week later saying the Chinese water pump, alternator or fuel pump I installed has quit.

Your topic is leather, not water pumps. You are in this business so questions about leather and headliners seem odd. What have you been doing up to now?

Water pump is just an example. I'm not in the business of detailing or upholstery work. Don't know how old you are, but you can learn how to do something better, easier, quicker, at any age. It takes about the same effort, time, labor to apply the cheapest or most expensive leather treatment. Cost of product is minor to me.

Water pump is just an example. I'm not in the business of detailing or upholstery work. Don't know how old you are, but you can learn how to do something better, easier, quicker, at any age. It takes about the same effort, time, labor to apply the cheapest or most expensive leather treatment. Cost of product is minor to me.

Okay.

Good luck. Bye

Originally Posted by Gebo
Leatherique

Yep. +1

Kindly read AND follow the directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back