2.7 Ecoboost Reliable in F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're finicky about transmissions, you should try a new Ram if you haven't yet--the ZF 8-speed is probably the smoothest transmission I've ever used in a truck, and Ram seems to have the software nailed down well. Besides the tranny, I found the Ram interior to be the best for me. The F-150 is a solid performer though, and it too would make a good vehicle for you. Have fun shopping!

Funny, I own a 2.7, and the water pump is an external bolt on water pump driven by the serpentine belt...

I love my 2.7 - I've owned mine since 2016 and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

If you don't need the payload or trailer tow ratings the 3.5 ecoboost gives, test drive both without having the salesperson tell you which is which. You may be surprised... ( i know I was...)

Originally Posted by hemitruck
Not crazy about the internal water pump which have been known to fail and take out the engine.

The 2.7EB is an external belt driven pump when mounted both properly and transversely.

Originally Posted by Robster
If you're finicky about transmissions, you should try a new Ram if you haven't yet--the ZF 8-speed is probably the smoothest transmission I've ever used in a truck, and Ram seems to have the software nailed down well. Besides the tranny, I found the Ram interior to be the best for me. The F-150 is a solid performer though, and it too would make a good vehicle for you. Have fun shopping!

Comparing 10 speed in Ford with ZF8 is like comparing Cessna to F16.
Nothing comes close to ZF8, smoothness wise or reliability wise. And FCA programming compared to other ZF* is really not that good, which just tells you how much potential that transmission has.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I'm curious with the new redesign of the Tundra. Love my 15 Tacoma. Crew max with a six foot bed would be nice.

I think it will have 3.5 Twin-Turbo. Considering results of their 2.0 turbo, I would not expect too much performance wise compared to everything else on the market.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by supton

If you're 5 and done, no worries. 20 year ownership... eh, probably still not worth worrying about, Ford sells a boatload and even if there are issues repairs are bound to be cheap.

20 year ownership has become quite rare, it seems.

I wonder what % of the US population has a 20+ year old vehicle registered.

Less than 2%?

I don't know but both of my trucks are over 20 years old. The K1500, I bought new. The K3500 I've had for almost 12 years. With the prices of new trucks, I don't see myself buying a new one ever again.

The 10-speed shifts buttery smooth IF you run premium fuel. Ford won't tell you that... on regular when it pulls timing there's too much going on. You have minor turbo lag, defueling/timing/dbw throttle reduction during shift, and whatever the trans is doing also (it locks the TC in most gears and unlocks during the shift) - there's a lot happening. I started using premium and the shifts became nearly seamless. There is no cost benefit to the premium, perhaps 0.5mpg improvement but that's about it. BUT, on a 700 mile round trip, still on factory rubber, I averaged 23.5 mpg in a supercab 4x4 with capper, so it's not like I'm dumping premium into a 15mpg vehicle. Granted, this is the "best ever" mileage in it, and it's usually 21.5, so that should be taken as everyday mileage, but it's nonetheless an impressive feat.

For most truck duty where it's unloaded M-F, I think ford scored a win here. Trucks are the luxury cars of today. Even if the naysayers were correct in saying a 2.7 will be overstressed, most of these are commuted around empty.

When I hook the travel trailer up to it, it pulls GREAT and there is no lack of power. The 2.7 has more than enough HP and Torque to get the job done. Those numbers themselves would easily be at home in a 3/4 ton or more.

Reliability. I think the engine is solid, but the complexity will be a factor as they age. There are 2 separate fuel injection systems. There's the turbos and associated cooling and oil lines. Ford has had some nuisance issues with o-rings on the turbo coolant plumbing, which doesn't sound bad until the intake has to come off to pull them out. Some of the 3.5s suffered from timing chain guide wear, and the RV guys often run a grade of oil thicker. Some of the 2.7s suffered from valve seal failures (ford recalled them), and the seals are somehow integrated into the heads, causing full head replacement. This is no different than the pentastar. There's an o-ring for the high-pressure fuel pump (HPFP) that lead to gas in the oil in some of them. I don't think the hard parts will be the issues with these engines. I think the small rubber and plastic bits, multiplied by complexity, will be the aging culprits for these motors. It could almost be a time factor rather than mileage.

It's not an easy engine to work on because of the tall body. the engine is tiny and sits way low in the engine bay. You need a stool to get over the fender and then have to dig deep to get to it. The warranty engine repairs for heads or long blocks were often done with body off rather than pulling the engine up.

In mine I'm suspicious of oil-fuel dilution, as the level seems to have increased a little through the OCI. Knowing this, I'll probably change at 7,500 miles with a 10-30 oil rather than 10,000 on 5-30.

Interesting comment on the premium fuel effect on shift quality. I will have to try it.

if you try it, a half tank won't do - needs to be at least 3/4 tank of premium, or else timing is still pulled. I think you'll be happier with it. I tried going back to regular for a highway trip, and it was fine on the highway, but the remainder of the tank was not enjoyable until I could replace it back with premium.

Originally Posted by meep
if you try it, a half tank won't do - needs to be at least 3/4 tank of premium, or else timing is still pulled. I think you'll be happier with it. I tried going back to regular for a highway trip, and it was fine on the highway, but the remainder of the tank was not enjoyable until I could replace it back with premium.

Plus premium isn't that much more than regular. It is about a $.20-.25 spread between 87 and 91 here.

My brother has a 2016 supercrew with the 2.7 single turbo and the 6 speed transmission

its a nice quick truck and it pulls his 28 ft camper with no issues.

I could see myself buying one with the 2.7 or an Edge sport with the same engine.

the oil change takes a little longer because it keeps oil in the top of the engine for a period of time, so the first oil change we let it sit 15 min after pulling the plug and then after filling and running another 15 min, but it took 6 quarts right on the head so from now on he'll just put 6 quarts in after being sure to drain the pan for 15 min. the plastic drain plug was a little different but its a big hole so the oil drains fast, better be prepared for that
laugh.gif

anyways very capable engine in a half ton

I have a 2016 2.7 Lariat Super Crew. 2wd with the 157" wb. At 49,000 miles it's been completely trouble free. I came out of a 2012 F150 with the 5.0V8 that I put just over 100,000 trouble free miles on. Given the choice between the 2, I'd be happy with either again, but would probably go with the 2.7 based on the 3-4 mpg improved fuel mileage and the "peppier" feel the low end torque of the 2.7 provides. I'm on the larger F150 forums and from what I'm seeing the 2.7 is proving itself to be very reliable. I do personally know a guy that runs a 2016 2.7 to deliver industrial parts around the Southeast. Pat's truck had 280,000 miles on it last time I asked. No issues. We both use Motorcraft semi-syn and Motorcraft filters. He changes by the oil life monitor (10,000 miles) and I go 7500.

Last edited:
If you haven't used them yet, check out the capabilities of torque (Android App that I use) and Forscan. Both will allow you to tap into a huge amount of information on your truck using relatively inexpensive OBDII plug ins.

The truck can tell you what it is percieving as to the octane qualities of the fuel by monitoring the Octane Adjustment Ratio (OAR). -1 is the best, +1 is the worst. I've monitored mine and the worst I've seen is +.2 on regular E10 87 fuel. The best has been north of -.85 running BP 93 or Shell 91 octanes here. Also gives you an idea of what the blend is if you put premium in on top of a partially full tank.

I have not noticed a big difference in driveability between premium and regular fuel, but I have the old 6 Speed transmission in my 2016. I typically use premium when I am towing.

I let my oil sit with the drain bolt off for about one hour. That allows the very hot filter to cool down a-bit. Sometimes I allow overnight drains, like right now, in the middle of a hot summer

Right now it's hard to find an oil filter for the 2.7 besides motorcraft and I think K&N. I'd rather use something else, but while it's on warranty I'm using motor craft for the sake of avoiding "that" particular dealer ploy if anything were to come up.

That's great info on the OAR. Some tanks of premium still drive better than others, and that sheds some light on it. I'll have to look at that. Thanks!

With regard to waiting a long time with the oil drain plug out, proper planning (and normal DIY procedures) make that unnecessary.

I never pull the drain plug with the oil still Highway hot.

I always wait until the oil will not burn me.

Do the same on your 2.7EB and the drain plug needs to be out for no more than a minute. It drains that fast.

I'd love a drain valve or something similar for this motor. That plug lands a 1" stream of oil precisely atop the sway bar, making for a picturesque waterfall thing over the bucket. "Splish Splash I was taking a bath..." Ok it's not that bad but it's not my favorite either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back