Ford Worked Out the Paint Issue on Aluminum Body Panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a near new, black F150 dual cab yesterday - there are companies here that import them and covert to right hand drive - and couldn't get over how wavy the panels were when you looked down the side of the vehicle. Are they all like that?

Originally Posted by hpb
I was looking at a near new, black F150 dual cab yesterday - there are companies here that import them and covert to right hand drive - and couldn't get over how wavy the panels were when you looked down the side of the vehicle. Are they all like that?

I have noticed that too, not just on the new fords.

NO it is not fixed. It is still an issue. Not sure if it is still a 100% fail rate but I bet over time the answer will be yes. I saw a "new" aluminum F-150 last weekend and the top was peeling bad. White of course. That seems to be the worst on Ford and Chevy for some reason. If you start to pay attention you will see how huge and widespread the problem is. After being told by Ford to pound sand and spending $4,000 to fix my paint issues I will not get another Ford.

Originally Posted by hpb

When I was looking for a truck, it was true of every Ford I saw. I heard somewhere that it just means that they're friendly, because they are waving at you...

It takes a lifetime of neglect to get a Landrover looking like this.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Should have been to hard Boeing has been painting aluminum planes for years and you don't see the painted designs pealing off their jets at the Airport when I go to fly and lots of those jets fly for 20 years un much harsher conditions that cars will ever see.

This is true. There shouldn't be a need to reinvent the wheel here so to speak. That yellow and green primer on aircraft looks like the zinc chromate of back in my days on the ships and boats.

You would all think this. But problem is for us lowly ones that have to spend untold thousands of dollars on a vehicle, they paint ours with water colors.
And is why now for many many years the paint either peels off or slowly disappears. IMO water paint formerly just used by kids for coloring books, is garbage paint no matter what the so called experts say. I can tell you Boeing does not use water paint on their planes. For one they can't chance the possible corrosion it would cause. Also the huge ovens that would be needed to thoroughly dry it and the time needed for the dry are all something they can't have. And if the water paint is not dry before the clear coat is applied to the car it will blister when subjected to freezing, been there done that. And you have to question in most cases the primer is not water base nor is the clear coat. They may have them all water base now I'm not sure. I do know people will laugh at painting a car with something like Rustoleum you know an air dry paint, and say oh you got to have a 2 part paint with a hardener etc. sorry folks water paint is strictly air dry no hardener involved. And this all is the reason the ships at sea, the planes in flight don't have the paint peel off like your cars and trucks do.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
Originally Posted by PimTac
JohnnyJohnson said:
Boeing has been painting aluminum planes for years

I can tell you Boeing does not use water paint on their planes.

The aviation industry has been trending towards waterborne coatings for longer than 20 years.

No only does it protect well against corrosion, but it's tough, fuel and hydraulic fluid resistant and did I mention it's tough.

So, your statement is not completely accurate. We do use waterborne primers and coatings.

I've only had my '18 for a little over a year, but the paint on it so far has been flawless. No issues so far.

The good news is the color is almost exactly like the deeper grey offered in Duplicolor's Rim and Wheel paint, which is the most durable rattle can paint I've ever seen. Love this paint. So if I have to do some touch up in a few years, we are good to go! My truck is not a garage queen, so if it needs to touch up here and there that's a-ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back