Top 5 reliable, affordable car makers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by madRiver
What planet is MB or BMW considered affordable cars?

Or reliable?

I'm guessing Europe.

Or reliable?
With the exception of electrical system problems when they get older (common on German cars mostly due to the self-destructing wiring insulation, and in MB's case, the extreme complexity), most of MB's vehicles are mechanically quite reliable and very durable. The low-end MB GLAs start at a price that is comparable to a high-end Camry or Accord, but it isn't one of the MB models that I would describe as being very reliable.

Originally Posted by wag123

Or reliable?
With the exception of electrical system problems when they get older (common on German cars mostly due to the self-destructing wiring insulation, and in MB's case, the extreme complexity), most of MB's vehicles are mechanically quite reliable and very durable. The low-end MB GLAs start at a price that is comparable to a high-end Camry or Accord, but it isn't one of the MB models that I would describe as being very reliable.

Sounds like you have had good luck with these cars; that's great.
There are a lot of Benz cars where I live; so many owners complain about their reliability and overall cost of ownership.
"Worst car I have ever owned." is all too common.
That's a key reason I buy Lexus; they seem to go forever.
Mercedes Benzs are beautiful and advanced is so many ways. I was in their dealership a few months back; you just drool and dream...
But I am gunshy.

Again, I am glad for your success.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Originally Posted by csandste
Toyota
Honda
HyunKia
Mazda
Subaru

Yep!

Every other brand, you can expect it to be unreliable.

I disagree. EVERY company makes good and bad vehicles. To say that all other makes can be expected to be unreliable is just a ridiculous statement...

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by The Critic
It is probably best to approach this by model or by powertrain, than by brand.

With that said, almost every current (or recent) model made by Toyota is excellent. Can't say the same about other makes, not even Honda.

Mazda is doing fine.

Jury is out with Mazda. They are severe rot boxes in the Northeast for recent modern vehicles.

Rust proofing (or lack thereof) is their Achilles heel...everything else with their vehicles seems to be done quite well...

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by The Critic
It is probably best to approach this by model or by powertrain, than by brand.

With that said, almost every current (or recent) model made by Toyota is excellent. Can't say the same about other makes, not even Honda.

Mazda is doing fine.

Mazda's dealer network is spotty and their parts availability is very slow compared to Toyota. That is my experience.

As others have said...

Toyota-- I think you have to start with them, love or hate them, they're a slight step above Honda right now.

Honda-- If it weren't for the transmission failures and being so late to the game with DI (and then having issues with it, they'd be number 1). Their cars are a little more stylish/risky/trend setting than Toyota right now.

It gets real dicey from here on out...

Kia/Hyundai-- Maybe. They do have that recall out there for the 2% of vehicles for bearing failure, but at least they're standing behind their product. I almost never see these things in the shop for major repairs.

Nissan-- Besides rust issues, I mean there's so many of these [censored] things on the road and I don't see major repairs with them (except their CVT transmissions, so perhaps that should push them lower, but who is better?)

Chrysler, Ford, GM -- all three have their nickel and dime crap that drives you crazy, but I'll take that over the catastrophic money repairs of Audi, Mercedes, BMW. [censored] even Volvo needs the simplest of things to be taken to a dealer for reprogramming.

I've owned an AMC Gremlin, 1960s Mustangs, 1980s Mazda pickup, 1990s Thunderbird, and now my sig vehicles.
The 2006 Tacoma is the first Toyota I have ever owned and by far the best vehicle in my life. Had it for 10 years and 110k miles, aside from regular maintenance and wear parts it's only needed a water pump.
This may be hard to believe but the Gremlin is a close 2nd place... put 100k miles on that thing without any trouble whatsoever, didn't even take very good care of it.
The Mazda was completely ragged out when I bought it so I cannot use it as a basis for review.
The mid-90s Corvettes are very solid, have had great experience with them... but not without their problems.
The 1992 Thunderbird was a good car, never had a serious problem with it, just little stuff here and there. But it had too many weird noises and clunks to justify calling it a good car.
That's all the experience I can offer.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I've owned an AMC Gremlin, 1960s Mustangs, 1980s Mazda pickup, 1990s Thunderbird, and now my sig vehicles.
The 2006 Tacoma is the first Toyota I have ever owned and by far the best vehicle in my life. Had it for 10 years and 110k miles, aside from regular maintenance and wear parts it's only needed a water pump.
This may be hard to believe but the Gremlin is a close 2nd place... put 100k miles on that thing without any trouble whatsoever, didn't even take very good care of it.
The Mazda was completely ragged out when I bought it so I cannot use it as a basis for review.
The mid-90s Corvettes are very solid, have had great experience with them... but not without their problems.
The 1992 Thunderbird was a good car, never had a serious problem with it, just little stuff here and there. But it had too many weird noises and clunks to justify calling it a good car.
That's all the experience I can offer.

The late 90s and early 2000s corvettes solved 99%.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Lexus
Honda
Toyota
Mazda
(Current, not during the terrible Ford years)
Subaru

The four in bold are all from the same family. Just a interesting tidbit to pass along.

Or reliable?

The W115, 123, 124 and 209 Benzes could be picked up used for pocket change and could be run for another 100K for another pocketful of change.
Ask me how I know this and am not merely speculating.
More current MB models are also quite cheap to buy as used cars as well as cheap to run as is well illustrated by a member with posts in this very thread.
Champaign tastes and a beer budget? Mercedes cars may be for you if you do your homework on which to buy.
An e36 BMW is about as reliable and durable as a car gets.
Ask me how I know this as well.
Lots of hating on these German marques from those who've never owned one.
Drive a BMW or a Mercedes and you'll understand that it isn't just hype.
Own the right model and you'll also come to understand that these are very well designed and made cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back