Brakes on my F250

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my standard Akebono ProAct pads and Wagner coated rotors. It's not a matter of getting better braking than I had. The braking I had was fine.

I bought the vehicle used from a Ford dealer with 30K on the clock. Now it has 100K on the clock. Have not done brakes. The dealer may have done the brakes before I bought the vehicle, unsure.

Originally Posted by Donald
Not driving until then except to the shop.

Should go without saying don't drive anywhere with a pad fallen out.

Originally Posted by mk378

Yeah, theres nothing to stop with. Have it towed. At the LEAST youll ruin the caliper and itll have to be replaced. Thats if the piston doesnt pop out at some point and you lose brakes

Last edited:
The dealer may have done the brakes before I bought the vehicle, unsure.
Highly doubtful; I sold mine at 50K and the brakes still had 65-75% of the pad remaining.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Highly doubtful; I sold mine at 50K and the brakes still had 65-75% of the pad remaining.

So that would mean the original brakes lasted almost 100k miles. Not bad.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
So that would mean the original brakes lasted almost 100k miles. Not bad.
I had a similar experience with my retired 2010 FX4. I only had to change the brakes once in 158K miles with 45% of those miles towing. Ford screws up a lot of things, but they typically get the brake part right.

Originally Posted by mk378

In this case, yeah, since the backing plate fell off too. If it had been just the lining though it'd be ok--it'd trash the rotor but it'd be ok for short drives.

Hmm, now that I think about it, in this case, the piston is probably already shot; and it still has three good brakes. Limping it to the shop won't matter, it's going to get at least one new caliper along with a set of rotors and pads I bet.

Here are some pictures. First two are outside looking in. Last one is inside looking out.

IMG_20190618_100452.jpg

IMG_20190618_100501.jpg

IMG_20190618_100548.jpg

..s.c.r.e.e.c.h... new rotor, yah?

here in the south I just don't see rust like that much anymore...

They had to install two new calipers. More $$ than I expected. No time to do it myself right now. I am sure I could have put in new piston and seal in caliper.

It's done now. They also changed xfer case and front diff. Amsoil products went in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back