Fram Ultra - Hot Tub Filter
by SavagePatch - 11/19/19 10:08 PM
Possible bad coil on Husky 150bt
by i6pwr - 11/19/19 09:52 PM
JD LVU800097
by Jason_Michaels - 11/19/19 09:09 PM
Chiappa M1-9
by GumbyJarvis - 11/19/19 09:05 PM
Power steering fluid change out; frequency.
by GeorgeMP - 11/19/19 08:59 PM
2020 Toyota Supra
by Y_K - 11/19/19 08:57 PM
Door hinge pins and bushings
by P10crew - 11/19/19 08:22 PM
future new car prices-gas vs electric
by 1978elcamino - 11/19/19 07:51 PM
Briggs/ Walbro idle tuning
by eljefino - 11/19/19 07:46 PM
Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20, 9349 miles FCA 2.4
by austinlunsford - 11/19/19 06:53 PM
06' V6 Accord 12,462 miles Penzoil Platinum 0W20
by Daschicken - 11/19/19 04:57 PM
Pride Asian Plus Coolant-thoughts?
by N Heat - 11/19/19 04:21 PM
Newest Members
Pdlodge, Cubez007, dshadow, Hansvoytek, DeltaP71
69919 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (aquariuscsm, 2002 Maxima SE, 67ZL1, 2010Civic, Astro_Guy, Amkeer, 9 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 28 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics297,657
Posts5,120,067
Members69,919
Most Online3,589
Nov 2nd, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: JLTD] #5132804 06/12/19 11:23 PM
C
CR94 Offline
C
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by CR94
Vehicles are much better designed to withstand earthquakes than are most buildings.
Right up to the limits of their suspension. When you get something like the Anchorage quakes where pavement is thrust upward 10-15'(3-4.5m) then your car is going to take a hit.
But you'd still be more likely to survive than in a building, I suspect. [/quote]

Last edited by CR94; 06/12/19 11:24 PM.

2011 Toyota Prius now at 106K
1981 Mazda GLC (323) retired at 606K
1972 Subaru DL retired at 190K
1954 Chevrolet retired at 121K
Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: bbhero] #5132805 06/12/19 11:23 PM
E
ecotourist Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by Chris142
It takes a real big one to notice when driving. The little 3,4 and 5's likely won't be noticed.

That seems likely. We've slept through several.

Don't know... But a 3.7 hit literally within a 1/4 mile of my sister's house in Roanoke Va... At 330 in the am... I had just woken up thank goodness... And it sounded very,very loud... Like thunder and the whole house moved a decent bit.. I looked at my phone weather radar to see if there were any storms near by... Not one within 500 miles.. So, no to that. It woke everyone else up... I told my lady that it was likely a earthquake.. my brother in law and my sister were downstairs talking about what had happened. He decided to go out and see if a airliner had hit the small mountain they lived on... While he and I were out in the neighborhood we saw several other people out and about too... Wondering what had happened. Obviously no plane crash... The airport was not all too far away from their house. Once back at the house by they figured it had to have been a earthquake... Sure enough the next am I saw the earthquake on the monitor site for them...

My understanding is there are 2 kinds of waves in an earthquake. The first is a compression wave, which travels the fastest. It produces the loud bang sometimes heard. The compression wave is followed by a series of transverse waves which travel a bit more slowly. They produces the side to side motions. The time lag between the arrival of the compression wave and the first transverse wave (combined with knowledge of the velocity of the waves) gives the distance to the epicentre.

The time lag between the waves is the basis for early warning systems - useful if you're some distance away, but not so useful if you're right on top of the epicentre. One of the really smart things that's done is to open the doors of first responder's garages because the power may fail when the transverse waves arrive.

2000 BMW 528i 5MT M Sport
2007 Honda Accord EX-L 4Door V6 6MT
Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: ecotourist] #5132818 06/12/19 11:56 PM
R
rubberchicken Offline
R
I was in Maryland close to the big 2011 earthquake. I had only been in one other quake, but it was in California. Almost nobody in Maryland knew what was going on- when it started it took me 2-3 seconds to figure out what was happening, and I bolted for the exit yelling "earthquake !! ". 98% of the staff at work thought I was crazy until their cell phones went berserk with emergency calls. I was really surprised how most people just froze because they could not grasp what was happening.

Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: ecotourist] #5132822 06/12/19 11:59 PM
Marco620 Offline
Outran a tornado on I-35 turnpike back in 2000s. Sunfire 2.2L w/ exhaust,header and intake at 100mph. First time felt mods were a good thing

15' Civic 1.8 i-vtec 288,000 mi Mobil 0w30 & LG Biotech, BP CVT Fluid,Redline Si-1
Doberman Whisperer!
Honda,Doberman,CZ's & SONY Aficionado

Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: ecotourist] #5132826 06/13/19 12:11 AM
S
Silk Offline
S
I was talking to someone who was driving during the big Christchurch 'quake - he said the car stated to go offline, so turned the wheel to correct it, and nothing happened. He went off road into the ditch.

1987 BMW R65 - Penrite VTwin 20-50
2005 Nissan Expert - 5W-30 Castrol Edge
1996 Volvo T5 - Penrite HPR15 - 15W-60. Ryco syntec filter.
Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: ecotourist] #5132830 06/13/19 12:19 AM
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
M
I was in the Loma Prieta earthquake of '89. That's the 7.1 that hit during the opening ceremony of the 2nd game of the World Series...if the quake is large enough and you happen to be driving, it'll feel somewhat like a flat tire/going flat.

Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: ecotourist] #5133109 06/13/19 10:22 AM
V
Vuflanovsky Offline
V
I'm sure that your location, the magnitude of the quake, and the surface you're driving on will have a varied effect...I was stationary in a car during a 5.0 quake and it bounced slightly but given the exponential energy release difference between say a 4.0 and a 7.0, it'll likely only impact your actually driving if it's strong enough to buckle the road or create fissures.

Loma Prieta was the only one that actually scared me after getting used to multiple 3 and 4 magnitude quakes for years...my guess is I would've a lot felt safer driving than being where I was at that point. If the New Madrid fault really goes off in the Midwest that'll be a potentially horrific thing...especially if there's no real "earthquake culture" existing around the event.

Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: Vuflanovsky] #5133437 06/13/19 04:48 PM
M
Mad_Hatter Offline
M
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I'm sure that your location, the magnitude of the quake, and the surface you're driving on will have a varied effect...I was stationary in a car during a 5.0 quake and it bounced slightly but given the exponential energy release difference between say a 4.0 and a 7.0, it'll likely only impact your actually driving if it's strong enough to buckle the road or create fissures.

Loma Prieta was the only one that actually scared me after getting used to multiple 3 and 4 magnitude quakes for years...my guess is I would've a lot felt safer driving than being where I was at that point. If the New Madrid fault really goes off in the Midwest that'll be a potentially horrific thing...especially if there's no real "earthquake culture" existing around the event.

Born and raised in CA and the Loma Prieta (I was living in San Jose at the time in an apt) was the first time I ever saw the earth actually move in a wave like motion, you could actually see it. It took 3dys for a building inspector to get out and inspect the apartment building and deem it safe. There were multiple cracks in the stucco (all superficial) and some on the slab but it passed inspection. Plus PG&E had to come out and inspect the gas before people were allowed back in. Immediately following the quake a few residents thought they smelled gas and the FD told everyone to stay out until inspection. Turns out no leaks, but if you remember the Northridge quake.. entire buildings went up due to broken gas lines.

Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: rubberchicken] #5133565 06/13/19 07:25 PM
R
RayCJ Offline
R
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I was in Maryland close to the big 2011 earthquake. I had only been in one other quake, but it was in California. Almost nobody in Maryland knew what was going on- when it started it took me 2-3 seconds to figure out what was happening, and I bolted for the exit yelling "earthquake !! ". 98% of the staff at work thought I was crazy until their cell phones went berserk with emergency calls. I was really surprised how most people just froze because they could not grasp what was happening.

Rubberchicken... That was a 6.2 Richter quake. I was on the 5th floor of an all-glass exterior building when it struck. I was watching the sides of the windows bowing and waving -it was amazing. We evacuated the building and fortunately, I had my car keys... after 20 minutes of standing in the parking lot, I drove home. While driving home, there were reports of more after-shocks as I was driving. -Didn't feel a thing in the car. My wife at home distinctly felt the after shocks.

BTW: My 2400lb manual lathe in the garage was not bolted to the floor... It moved about 1.5" diagonally away from the wall. Many of the kitchen cabinet doors opened and the bathroom shelves with various common toiletries all fell to the floor. Man, that was something else. My wife said the dogs were freaked-out and acting really weird about 2 hours before it all happened. It was a beautiful day and they did not want to go out -and they ALWAYS want to go outside (heck, I gottta be careful they don't see me typing that word lest they start bugging me to go "you know where").

Ray

Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: RayCJ] #5133672 06/13/19 09:15 PM
R
rubberchicken Offline
R
Originally Posted by RayCJ

Rubberchicken... That was a 6.2 Richter quake. I was on the 5th floor of an all-glass exterior building when it struck. I was watching the sides of the windows bowing and waving -it was amazing. We evacuated the building and fortunately, I had my car keys... after 20 minutes of standing in the parking lot, I drove home. While driving home, there were reports of more after-shocks as I was driving. -Didn't feel a thing in the car. My wife at home distinctly felt the after shocks.

BTW: My 2400lb manual lathe in the garage was not bolted to the floor... It moved about 1.5" diagonally away from the wall. Many of the kitchen cabinet doors opened and the bathroom shelves with various common toiletries all fell to the floor. Man, that was something else. My wife said the dogs were freaked-out and acting really weird about 2 hours before it all happened. It was a beautiful day and they did not want to go out -and they ALWAYS want to go outside (heck, I gottta be careful they don't see me typing that word lest they start bugging me to go "you know where").

Ray

I didn't remember how powerful it was, but any quake that you can feel on the East Coast is unusual. Typically a loud noise or heavy vibration would be caused by a Air Force or Navy jet.

Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: ecotourist] #5133694 06/13/19 09:43 PM
2strokeNorthstar Offline
Living in So California I have been through a few. Depends on the type of quake. Some make the road move in waves like the ocean. Really strange. Usually you don’t notice since the roads are so bad here anyway. You find out by alerts or radio station.

2001 F150 5.4L
2013 Nissan Juke Nismo
2000 Honda S2000
1998 BMW 328i
Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: rubberchicken] #5133764 06/14/19 02:22 AM
B
bbhero Offline
B

Great job ^^^^^^^^^^

Seriously. You did exactly the right thing..

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 5w30 Wix 57356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: Driving during an earthquake [Re: rubberchicken] #5133795 06/14/19 04:44 AM
R
RayCJ Offline
R
Originally Posted by RayCJ

Ray

I didn't remember how powerful it was, but any quake that you can feel on the East Coast is unusual. Typically a loud noise or heavy vibration would be caused by a Air Force or Navy jet.

That 2011 Quake was centered in Virginia.

A couple years ago, we had this baby 1.5 quake centered within 30 miles from my house: https://earthquaketrack.com/quakes/2017-10-30-00-34-30-utc-1-5-2 I was sitting on a floor pillow. My house has a slab foundation and the concrete felt like a distinct kick in the butt. I also hear a very loud bang outside. A deep boom followed by a roaring rumble. I seriously though a plane from BWI (large airport that can handle 747's) crashed somewhere nearby. It was late, around 10pm and I called the police a few moments after it happened -I was convinced an airplane went down nearby. The dispatcher was getting more incoming calls as we spoke. Anyhow, yes. It was very loud.

Ray

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™