Valvoline Premium Restore Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Corolla with the 2ZR-FE engine with 170k miles, and am seeing some oil consumption. These engines are known to get dirty/bound oil control rings so I'm hoping this eases the issue a bit. I know about needing to change filters throughout the OCI and to use a high capacity filter.

My car takes 4.4 qts, and Valvoline PBR is $70 for 4 quarts. Do I need two gallons or can I top off the extra .4qt and the replenishment from filter changes with what I have? (M1 5W30) Will it still clean correctly even diluted with another oil?

Maybe dump 4qts in and roll with it until the oil gets to the low mark and then add? Although, if it is using oil you're probably going to need some top up over the distance and you might want to change out the filter in the first 500-1000 miles to make sure its not plugging up.

Pricey, but I'd want the two gallons.

If it's 4.4qts to maximum then you'll be around half way between minimum and maximum with 4qts. Just put the 4qts in and leave it be.

If you're having oil consumption issues then you'll want the 2nd 4 gallons to keep the engine topped up.

I'm totally a believer (I was skeptical, but now) in the cleansing power of 2-cycle oil added at 640:1 (gas/oil ratio)

Go ahead and dump in the 4 quart jug, then top off with a little bit of Mobil 1 (or whatever favorite flavor of synthetic you like).

I hope it works for you......................

However, I think you'll see better results running 2-cyle oil at 640:1 (1oz per 5 gallon gas).

Originally Posted by Linctex
I'm totally a believer (I was skeptical, but now) in the cleansing power of 2-cycle oil added at 640:1 (gas/oil ratio)

Go ahead and dump in the 4 quart jug, then top off with a little bit of Mobil 1 (or whatever favorite flavor of synthetic you like).

I hope it works for you......................

However, I think you'll see better results running 2-cyle oil at 640:1 (1oz per 5 gallon gas).

I'm also a fan of TC-W3 oil mix in gas at 640:1, but not sure how this would clean the lubrication system and oil pan as you may be describing. Can you clarify?

As mentioned before, I'd get the 2nd bottle since I'm sure you're going to need to top off every once in a while. I'm not just curious to see how well (if at all) this stuff works, but also if it can be done in one OCI or if you need multiple. Good luck OP! Keep us updated, please.

Originally Posted by crainholio

I'm also a fan of TC-W3 oil mix in gas at 640:1, but not sure how this would clean the lubrication system and oil pan as you may be describing. Can you clarify?

It will let the rings become freed up from the piston rings lands.
If the rings can move around as needed, they will seal better.

Gunk in the bottom of the pan isn't hurting anything, and is best left there instead of circulating it.

This will not only help reduce oil consumption, but will pick up another .05 Horsepower, too
grin2.gif

(I have actually picked up a NOTICABLE amount of power over a 10,000 mile regimen)

Has anyone on here used this, if so how long did they leave it in and did it work?

Originally Posted by Ponchinizo
I have a Corolla with the 2ZR-FE engine with 170k miles, and am seeing some oil consumption.

How much oil consumption are you observing?

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
If the Corolla has been running M1 5w-30 for most of it's life I don't think you have an oil ring problem.

It has been running cheap quickie lube oil for most of it's life, sometimes for too long and low on oil. I got it from my brother at 120k and really took over my own maintenance at 140k. Hence my assumption it is the rings.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by crainholio

It will let the rings become freed up from the piston rings lands.
If the rings can move around as needed, they will seal better.

Gunk in the bottom of the pan isn't hurting anything, and is best left there instead of circulating it.

This will not only help reduce oil consumption, but will pick up another .05 Horsepower, too
grin2.gif

(I have actually picked up a NOTICABLE amount of power over a 10,000 mile regimen)

I've been doing this for ~6 months, it slows the consumption but doesn't stop it. I mostly run the TCW3 for the warm fuzzies.

Valvoline PBR is the only purpose made product for carbon clogged rings, and way cheaper than a rebuild which is why I am planning on trying it, I will be doing a 5k OCI as per the manufacturer instructions, with a filter change at 1k and maybe 3k depending on how the first looks.

I'm seeing roughly a quart of consumption every 2k miles, which is about double what it used to be, and that is why I'd like to address this now before it gets worse. I want this car to last, I'm nowhere near done with it yet!

I appreciate all your feedback, thank you!

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Don't just use a high capacity filter. Use a high efficiency one.

Whoops, my bad. You're absolutely right, it's even listed as high efficiency in the use instructions!
33.gif

Last edited:
I have a Corolla with the 2ZR-FE engine with 170k miles, and am seeing some oil consumption. ...
What model year is it? They updated the rings and pistons to reduce that problem in the 2ZR-FE and 2ZR-FXE, which I have. Although it predates the changes, it isn't consuming significant oil---so far. A couple of months ago my niece bought a 2013 Corolla (2ZR-FE) with over 90k miles.

Originally Posted by CR94
I have a Corolla with the 2ZR-FE engine with 170k miles, and am seeing some oil consumption. ...
What model year is it? They updated the rings and pistons to reduce that problem in the 2ZR-FE and 2ZR-FXE, which I have. Although it predates the changes, it isn't consuming significant oil---so far. A couple of months ago my niece bought a 2013 Corolla (2ZR-FE) with over 90k miles.

It is a 2009, the first model year with that engine if I remember correctly.

Look forward to seeing your results. I would buy the second gallon as you'll need top off oil for your filter changes

Last edited:
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Look forward to seeing your results. I would buy the second gallon as you'll need top off oil for your filter changes

Yep, it's looking like I'll be getting two. Yowch!

I wonder what on earth I'll do with the remaining 2 or 3 quarts when all is said and done? Maybe pick up another gallon in a couple years and do it again.. hmmmm
confused.gif

Wait a year and then use it as a mix to maintain the clean?

Whatever you do, there are plenty of people waiting to hear the results and see cut open filters if that's something you can do.

... It is a 2009, the first model year with that engine if I remember correctly.
Yes, that's correct. I think Toyota covered new rings and pistons in some 2009 Corollas, if the owner complained early enough and loudly enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back