Goodyear Wranglers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on these tires ? I have a friend who says these tires are junk. He has blown the side wall on 2 of them driving around on the farm in 64,000 miles. I know many people who have them including my son and myself with no problems.

What wranglers there are aprox 20 models. 16 current and a few discontinued.

We have 37K on a 2015 F150 with no issues. If your friend got 64K farm miles, then he is doing well. I expect 50-60K on ours. My sister also has Wranglers on a Durango and a Journey with no issues also.

Wrangler is a full line of tires Goodyear makes! Which ones?
smile.gif

Yeah there are several different models of Wrangler tires, also what application are you looking for? I had the SR-As on our ‘04 Yukon and when we bought the ‘07 I bought another set for that one. I purchased them due to the price/performance they offer. It was under $500 for a set of four after rebates at DT. They are good in the snow (AWD though) and are a relatively quiet tire for such a large vehicle. So far I've not had any issue with them.

Ran dozens of them … hard … with no issues ~ but would never come here for advice on tires …

Just buy Michelin, Fram, and Pennzoil so you can bond here …

I have the OEM Wrangler Fortitude HTs on my Silverado. Both GM and Goodyear say they're "all terrain" tires, but they're really not, they have HT in the name! They are a slightly more open tread for an HT. As much as I usually hate OEM tires (and Goodyears normally), these are alright. Decent traction in the dry and wet, nice quiet, comfortable ride. I still want to get rid of them for a true AT tire though, but probably won't until they wear out more.

Originally Posted by 4WD

lol.gif

Or run something different and be a pariah!

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I have them on my F-150 and they are wearing very good. I had them on other F-150's and had zero problems.

Best I ever did was 55k on OEM GY's … and 59k on a set of the better GY Kevlar AT's … they had good tread depth left … but between age and miles of crushed quartz roads … I changed them out …

I purchased three of them from a chain store for my Jeep Cherokee a few years back. The store only had three at the time, so I purchased another one a week later at a different store. No road hazard was purchased.
About 15K miles later, one of the tires was cracking real bad in the tread area. My jeep had no suspension or steering issues. Took it back to the store manager and I was told that neither Goodyear nor the store would
help me because I hadn't purchased the road hazard warranty. I told him that the issue wasn't a road hazard issue, but a manufacturing problem. Didn't matter, I was told. I asked the tire manager if he would ride in a vehicle that
this tire was on. Absolutely not, tire was not safe to have on any car.
So my record with Goodyear Wrangers is that they are okay...75% of the time. Those will be the last Goodyear tires that I will ever own.

Originally Posted by Chris142
My jeep came with them when it was new. They were junk! Terrible in rain.

We had them on one too OEM. Lasted around 50k. Not the best by far and strangely I punctured one with a tiny piece of crushed stone. I pulled that out with my fingernails no less . That arrowhead piece of shale was under 1/4" long and just sitting there between the treads. With that in mind I'd say at least those OEMs weren't very tough. We put BF Goodrich LongTrails on after and got over 60k on those in regular driving.

Originally Posted by 4WD
~ I but would never come here for advice on tires …

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

I guess I am one of those that occasional buck against "popular opinion"

Having said that... I don't know which Wranglers I have used, but I am not complaining.

"Farm Use" can be considered "Severe Duty" - - so YMMV with AND brand of tire in tough conditions!!!

I have had Goodyear Wrangler not sure which ones but they were an aggressive AT tread but performed awful off road. They did ok on road but was not what they were being used for. Wore out quickly. The General Grabber STX from Walmart were way better everywhere. Looked more street tire like than AT but did better in deep snow and off road in the mud. Very pleasntly surprised the Generals were so much better.

I'd have to look at my Suburban to see what Wranglers it came with. That's what i was telling him, if you got 64,000 miles on them you are doing good. And they still look pretty good with more miles left in them.

Last edited:
I took the wranglers ST's off my jeep at 5000 miles. I wasn't planning on keeping the stock setup anyways so I didn't feel to bad ditching them when they where so new. They rode like crap and where basically a cheap car tire. They where also scary bad in the rain. I could break them loose on the 1-2 shift with ease when it was raining. But weirdly they where OK in the snow
21.gif

The larger way more aggressive BFG KO2 LT's ride like a cadillac compared to those P series ST's.

My limited experience is that they change more with age than others. I've found that their wet handling gets really bad as they age, moreso than other brands. But I'm just one guy with very limited GY experience.

The one exception I have is a GY tire - Goodyear Assurance TripleTread ~ 2011. One of my favorite sets of tires ever, on a 3.8 town and country. It was higher-rated on TireRack than the Michelin offerings at the time, and for me lived up to the rating. BUT - I'll also say this - I recall in the sedan and minivan sizes the reviews were better than in the CUV/SUV sizes, so something didn't translate well amongst different vehicles/sizes.

-m

Last edited:
I have the stock Goodyear Wrangler SR-A on my Sierra. I would say they're just alright. They're quiet and comfortable, but they don't have great wet traction. My driveway is pretty steep and I tend to get some wheel-spin in the rain. I've been far more impressed with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my wife's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back