Dry Firing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a .22LR target piston and in the manual is written boldly: "DO NOT DRY FIRE" in more than a couple places.

I have a couple other pistols that make no mention of it.

Is dry firing a bad idea for all semi-auto pistols, or is there something unique about my S&W Victory that they don't want you to dry fire? Obviously I take the manuals word for it and have avoided doing it in all my pistols, but I've never really known why. Curious what the reason is for this warning.

As said, I don't know of any 22LR or other rimfire that okays dry firing. With that said, I have used an empty case before as a snap cap-I just take note where the firing pin hits on the rim, and make sure I rotate the case such that the pin will hit a "fresh" portion of it. One case can last for 10+ dry firings even rotating between firings.

Centerfire is USUALLY okay, although certain types of guns are known to stress the firing pin by dry firing. I've been warned, for example, that coil-spring Colt DA revolvers(Cobra Mk III and V for example) can break a firing pin, which means a trip to the factory and fingers crossed that they can actually replace it. I've also been cautioned that many shotguns don't like it.

In general, though, centerfires of all action type are okay.

It's not a good idea for any firearm to continually dry fire, as the firing pin bottoms out on it's locating shoulder, and causes the pin to "flick" a bit, which over a long time could lead to metal fatigue, versus stopping against a cartridge or snap cap.

Haven't see too many rimfires where the firing pin would overtravel to the point of hitting the chamber edge, but there's undoubtedly some that would.

Originally Posted by LotI
22 firing pins will peen the bolt face because it's a rimfire.

Not every .22 rimfire firing pin will hit the bolt face. Many guns are designed so dry firing is perfectly OK. Safe bet is if you don't know don't do it.

Originally Posted by Shannow
It's not a good idea for any firearm to continually dry fire, as the firing pin bottoms out on it's locating shoulder, and causes the pin to "flick" a bit, which over a long time could lead to metal fatigue, versus stopping against a cartridge or snap cap.

Haven't see too many rimfires where the firing pin would overtravel to the point of hitting the chamber edge, but there's undoubtedly some that would.

I'll bow to you any day when it comes to oil but this one is simply not true. Armorer for Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W revolver & M&P and every one can be dry fired to infinity with no detrimental affect. Now I have a lot of firearms but only a few 22's and can't answer to dry firing them. Just me but th 22's are for training, fun, and/or competition. If for competition a 22 you shoot not dry fire anyway
smile.gif
JMHO.

I try to avoid it in all my guns.

Here is an excerpt from my newest handgun :

Long term dry firing your Beretta APX pistol may result in damage to the striker.
"Snap Caps" are available at most gun stores for those who wish to practice firing without live ammunition.

I was taught it is not good to dry fire a 22 rim fire, but no problem dry firing a center fire. So I stuck with doing just that.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Safe bet is if you don't know don't do it.

^^ I have lived by this all my life.

Striker-fired pistols like Glock, S&W M&P, Sig, Springfield Armory XD didn't even exist yet when I started shooting.

As a side note on snap caps for centerfire, they are quite expensive and in many cases dry firing will damage them over time.

I have made my own by resizing a case for that caliber and filling the primer pocket with hot glue. I do seat a bullet for auto-loader cases to check function, and also generally paint the entire case head red so that I can spot it easily.

You can also 3d-print dummy rounds for a few cents these days. Though they're not as robust as the real metal ones; I tried one in a lever-action rifle and it ripped the rim off when I cycled the lever.

Yeah good rule of thumb not to do it on a .22LR.

Even on center fire guns, you can damage components if done too many times. You'll break firing pins on Smith & Wesson revolvers with the firing pin mounted to the hammer, you'll break firing pin retaining pins on Springfield XD pistols, and I've even seen a Glock that the firing pin broke through the breech face, destroying the slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back