Dealerships and gear oil viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I do my best to so my own maintenance for my 2017 Toyota Tundra but life has really kicked me in the teeth this year, and I chose to let the Toyota dealership change out the rear and front differential oil. The owners manual states to use LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent. I get the receipt and it shows 90w was used, and I quickly pointed it out to their service advisor who went back to the shop to confirm what was used. He and a mechanic returned and confirmed that bulk 90w was used, and I was basically told that the differentials in my truck are allowed to have a little leeway in viscosity such as 90w while others must use the 75w-85. The mechanic reassured me that my Tundra would be fine.

I was a little skeptical, so I stopped by a different Toyota Dealership to run the scenario by them. They made a phone call to the parts department to inquire about what gear oil they use, and he stated they use 80w-90. Looks like they don't even want to use Toyota's very expensive 75w-85.

Are there any cons to the 90w they used? I assume MPG could suffer, but it's a Tundra and I've never expected much out of fuel mileage. I live in blazing hot Texas so I assume the thicker viscosity shouldn't pose too much of a difference. Anyway, this was more of a FYI and vent post, but any advice is appreciated.

Stealerships use whatever they have in stock. You will be fine but you would be fine taking crush washers and the fluid of your choice to a Indy shop.

Just for giggles I had a client with a 2013 Nissan Sentra get a oil change at a Nissan stealership. On the receipt it stated 5w-20 conventional oil was used instead of 0w-20 that is recommended in the manual.

I'm certain the OEM 75w-85 is a top-tier high quality synthetic or semi-syn... Who knows what bulk 80w-90 they used, which is probably the cheapest stuff available to them that has the specs they want. Is it going to harm anything? No, it'll be just fine; there's nothing magical about gear oil provided it meets the GL-5 spec.

But if I were looking for the best protection, I'd buy my own fluid such as the OEM Toyota stuff, Amsoil, Mobil1, et al and give it to and indy shop to change out as was suggested above. I certainly wouldn't pay dealer prices for generic bulk oil!

Is straight 90wt even classified as a GL5 lubricant for hypoid gear applications? I always thought straight 90wt gear oil was for gear boxes, steering gears etc.

Just for an update, it bothered me enough to call and talk to the manager. He told me to bring it back in next week and they would put the correct fluid in it.

I've yet to find any Toyota dealership that uses Toyota 75w85LT oil unless it's a warranty job. Most are clueless when it comes to these oils. Same for the 75wLF transfer case oil. I delved deep into this rabbit hole. Id make them physically show me what's going in. My guess is some sort of bulk 75w90, which is probably better in TX...

Do dealerships carry bulk 75w85? Or so they have to use those stupid metal 1 liter cans? I did the transfer case with Toyota's recommended fluid and it came in a metal can, and those cans suck!

I wouldn't worry about it one bit, I owned a Lexus that "required" the 75w85, I ran the 75w90 for 150,000 miles instead. No issues. Now I'm doing the same thing in a GM product, no issues. I haven't seen any fuel economy differences either.

Originally Posted by Idlewild294
Do dealerships carry bulk 75w85? Or so they have to use those stupid metal 1 liter cans? I did the transfer case with Toyota's recommended fluid and it came in a metal can, and those cans suck!

Stupid metal 1L cans. All the dealerships I've dealt with have to special order those oils. No dealership I am aware of has bulk 75W 85.

I was so concerned about micro metal shavings getting in the oil after tearing a hole in the lid that I used paint filters to filter it all out. Airplane mechanics use a special church key that will not produce micro metal particles when cutting a hole in cans.

I doubt the dealership used some lame 75w90. Yes, 75w90 and not 80w90 because the majority of stuff on the road from little vehicles like a Chevy Equinox on up thru a class 8 semi truck uses 75w90 in the diffs so it is likely what the dealership had as the house gear lube. And virtually all 75w90 is synthetic base stock, well maybe a Group III "faux" synthetic for the purists out there. I wouldn't worry about. Just run it till the next schedule change. Being 75w90 instead of 75w85 is not going to make a bit of difference. 75w85 is just an economy thing. That is why the normal shop bulk gear lube is 75w90. Not worth keeping a specialty thing like 75w85 around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back